Young learners will have fun exploring star patterns with this fun, Constellations Printable Wheel. This is great for an introduction to our solar system, to use with a hands on constellations activity, or a variety of other uses with toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students.
Constellations for Kids
Stars are fascinating to young children. At night they seem to appear out of nowhere and brighten up the black sky in a dazzling display! Did you know stars are luminous balls of gas held together by their own gravity? Or perhaps that stars twinkle in the night sky because of the effects of our atmosphere? Even though there are 250 billion stars in our galaxy, only about 2000 of them are visible to you on any given night.
A constellation is a group of visible stars that form a pattern when viewed from Earth. Many constellations take the shape of animals, people, or objects.
Constellations are a fun way for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students to begin to learn about the universe, galaxy, and solar system they live in. Stars have such an appeal to kids as they wonder about these beautiful night lights in the sky. I mean, nursery rhymes like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star get them thinking about stars from the time they can think.
This handy free printable is a great way to help kids explore the stars! Whether you are a parent looking for a fun, hands on educational activity for summer learning or a homeschooler looking for an addition to your astronomy for kids or solar system unit. Or perhaps you are a teacher looking for something to add to your stars science center in your classroom. No matter how you want to use this kids activity with your students – this handy, low prep stars activity is just what you’ve been looking for.
Star Constellations for Kids
Color the night stars wheel using crayons, colored pencils, gel pens, or whatever other art supply you have on hand.
Now , using scissors, carefully cut around the circle along the solid lines. You should now have one circle, and one pacman shaped circle.
Put the pacman on top of the constellations printable and insert a brad through the dot in the middle to make the project spin.
Star Activities for Preschoolers
Now spin the constellations wheel to learn the names and see the patterns made by 8 common constellations. Use these to learn vocabulary, identify stars in the sky, or with other hands-on activities.
Constellation Activities for Kids
- Pipe Cleaner Constellations – fun, hands on activity for kids of all ages
- Free Printable Constellation Flashcards – I love that this set includes pictures for what shape the constellations make to help it be memorable with young learners
- Learn shapes with this fun Flashlight Constellations
- Constellations Printable Mini Book
- Skip Counting Constellations Printable combines practicing counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s with dot to dot constellations!
- Fun-to-make Cootie Catcher Constellation Printable
Solar System Activities for Kids
Did you enjoy this hands-on constellation building task? You will love these other fun, creative space themed activities:
- Chalk Solar System Game
- Paint Stick Solar System Project for Kids
- Solar System Coloring Pages
- DIY Constellations Projector
- Yarn Solar System Project
- FREE Solar System Worksheets for Kids
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!