I’m sure you have seen all over pinterest the super fun activities that use magnetic wands. This may seem like just fun play, but this preschool magnet activity is engaging and leads to so many learning opportunities. If it is not in the budget to buy them, or if you want to try something similar before buying, try making your own magnetic wand. This is such a fun way of explaining magnets to preschoolers as they explore how magnets work. Try this magnet activity for kids with preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade and 2nd graders to.
Try making a DIY Magnetic wand for a great tool for sensory activities, STEM project for preschoolers and more. This simple tutorial on how to make a homemade magnetic wand will have your kids saying WOW in no time. This preschool magnet activity is a great way for exploring how magnest work while sneaking in some fun preschool science too. Use this magnet activity for kids with preschoolers, kindergarners, grade 1, and grade 2 students.
Preschool Magnet Activity
All you need are a few simple materials you may already have on hand:
- Large Popsicle Stick
- Sticky Magnetic Strip
- magnetic items to move
That’s all you need. Can you believe it? This is so unbelievably simple.
Explaining magnets to preschoolers
Grab the markers and a large popsicle stick. These are the tongue depressor size.
Have your kids color designs on one side, or both sides. Your child can make these designs however they would like. Strips, polka dots, hearts, stars, rainbows..whichever they want.
Next, take a strip of sticky magnet and attach it to one side. Initially I thought that we would put it on the non colored side, but it turns out that when it’s held the magnetic side is up, while the color side was down. That didn’t make sense, so we switched the magnet.
Magnet activities for kids
When you’ve attached the magnet, you are ready to play. It is seriously that simple.
Now you and your children are ready to explore science, sensory and more with these fun DIY Magnetic Wands.
Magnet Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun ways for kids to explore magnets and physical science? Check these out:
- Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime for Kids
- Fun and simple-to-make Paper Plate Magnet Maze
- Make Your Own Magnetic Wand – Preschool Magnet Activity
- Magnetic Field Sensory Bottle – exploring magnets with kids
- Alphabet Mow the Grass Magnet Activity for Preschool
Check out these outrageously FUN spring science experiments for kids:
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- Amazing Food Coloring Flower Experiment Worksheet where you can turn a flower into two seperate colors!
- Have you tried making butter experiment
- Colorful Jelly Bean Experiment exploring difusion and color matching with a simple activity for kids
- You’ve got to try this simple Color Changing Slime
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- How Big is a Raindrop – try this raindrop experiment to find out!
- Egg Drop Challenge with marshmallows!
- You’ve got to try this Lego Balloon Car
- Make a popsicle stick catapult
- Colorful Polymer Chemistry Experiment
- MUST try capillary action experiment
- Lego DIY Zipline for your backyard
- How to Make a Weather Vane the EASY way
- Pop Rocks Experiment kids will LOVE!
Looking for some fun, educational spring theme ideas to make learning fun this April and May? Check out these fun resources:
- Cute, free printable Flower Shape Craft for kids
- Flower Rhyming Words Worksheet
- Sunflower Alphabet Matching
- Flower Mazes – Free Printable Sight Word Worksheets
- Pretty Flower Name of Number Puzzles
- F is for Flower Handprint Craft
- Alphabet Letter Find Preschool Flower Worksheets
- Count to 20 Spring Playdough Mats
- Rainbow Shape Playdough Mats
- Spring Do a Dot Printables
- Flower Letter Matching Printable
- Grow a Plant Sequencing Worksheets
- Fun Spring Flower SIght Word Game
- Free Printable Flower Worksheets for Preschoolers with math and literacy skills