Kids will have fun exploring scientific principals with this melting pumpkins project perfect for October. This simle pumpkin science experiment allows toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders to explore a chemical reaction and cause and effect. Not only will children learn about simple chemistry through this baking soda and vinegar experiment, but they will aslo have loads of fun with halloween activities.
Holidays are the perfect time for sneaking in some themed learning opportunities. In this halloween science experiment children will melt the pumpkin using science to make a puddle of bubbly, foamy, fun! All you need are a couple of common house hold items to make these melting pumpkins. This pumpkin activities for preschoolers, toddlers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students is sure to engage even the most reluctant learner. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this halloween activity is sure to delight your group.
Pumpkin Science Experimnet
All you need for this fun baking soda and vinegar reaction is a few simple materials including:
- 1-2 boxes baking soda
- 1+ cup vinegar
- orange food coloring
- 1-3 teaspoons clear dish soap
- squirt bottle (optional, but helpful)
- black beans, beads, craft sticks, craft foam, etc to make jack-o-lantern face
- plate with lip
- green pipe cleaners
Mix baking soda, dish soap, food coloring, and enough water to make a mixture that will hold together when pressed, but not runny.
Form the orange dough into round pumpkins of different sizes. Use a green chenille stick to make a stem and vine. Use black beads or craft foam to add eyes, nose, and mouth to the pumpkins.
Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
Ask kids what they think will happen when we add vinegar to the pumpkins? Once they’ve made their hypothesis it is time to explore while playing. Squirt the pumpkins with distilled white vinegar.
Children will notie right away the pumpkins seem to be melting. But ask them what else they notice.
Pumpkin Activities Preschool
If they look closely, children will see the bubbles from the carbon dioxide created by the chemical reaction between the baking soda and vinegar. That gas, combined with the dish soap, creates bubbles and sometimes the apparent foam.
Continue squirting the pumpkins to watch the FUN science at work! Keep going and the pumpkins will completely vanish into a puddle of orange liquid.
Halloween Activities for Preschoolers
This is such a fun, simple science project for yong children to learn about cause and effect while sneaking in an easy chemistry experiment at the same time!
- Hole Punching Pumpkin Craft for Preschoolers
- 100 Pumpkin Crafts for First Grade
- Printable Hats make cute Fall Crafts for preschoolers – so many choices
- Beautiful Cardboard Tube Stamped Fall Tree Craft
- Cute Corn Wreath Craft for Kids
- Fun-to-Make Yarn Pumpkins Craft for Kids
- Paint Swatch Pumpkin Craft for Preschoolers
- Scented Pumpkin Puffy Paint Craft for Fall
- Halloween Jack-o-Lantern Craft for kids
- Silly Spider Name Craft Activity for Preschoolers with FREE Printable
- 31 October Crafts for Kids
- Turkey Pumpkin Seed Craft
- Gummy Worm Slime
- Octoboer Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun pumpkin activity and craft ideas to try this autumn? Check out these fun ideas:
- Create a Jack-o-Lantern with this amazing Scented Rice Pumpkin Activity
- 50 fun Pumpkin Activities
- Edible Peep Pumpkin Playdough
- Pumpkin Goop with real pumpkin guts!
- Rubberband Pumpkin Craft for kids
- EASY, Edible Pumpkin Cloud Dough
- Edible candy corn playdough recipe you MUST try!
- Amazing Spider SLime
Halloween Science Experiments
- Flying Film Canister Ghost Rockets
- Frankenstein’s Hand Halloween Science Experiment
- Quickly Growing Pumpkin Science Experiment
- This Why Do Leaves Change Color experiment is one of our favorite that is so simple and yet so clever!
- Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Volcano Halloween Science Experiments
- Errupting Halloween Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiments
- Not-so-Spooky Halloween Ghost Science Experiment
- Exploding Pumpkin Science Experiment for October
- Dissolving Candy Halloween Science Experiments
- Frankenworms Halloween Science Experiment
- Melting Pumpkins Science Experiment for October
- EASY Static Electricity Ghost Experiment
- Halloween Lava Lamp Science Experiment
October Science Printables
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheets pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Bat Life Cycle Worksheets
- Free Spider Life Cycle Worksheets
- Worm Worksheets – practice math, alphabet, literacy, and more!
- Growing Worms Observation Book
- All About Worms Worksheets
- Work on number bonds to 10 with these pumpkin math worksheets for kindergarten and grade 1
- Super cute pumpkin counting activity piling the “whip cream” on the pie slice
- Work on 0ne-to-one correspondence with this pumpkin math for Kindergarten
- Grab these Pumpkin Addition Worksheets for a no prep math activity for young learners
- Practicing Counting with Pumpkin Seed Counting Activity
- Practice making shapes with these pumpkin shapes printable playdough mats
- Pumpkin Pie Number Sense pumpkin activity for preschoolers
- Work on counting, adding on, and using a number line with this pumpkin counting activity
- Hands on Pumpkin Shape Matching Games for Preshoolers
- Trace numbers and work on 1:1 correspondence with this pumpkin math activity for pre-k
- Adorable Pumpkin preschool pie craft for practicing counting!
- Pumpkin Shapes Printable game for kids
- Trace and Erase to practice again with this handy Pumpkin Printable Letter Tracing strips
- Practice sight words with this fun Pumpkin Game
- This find the letter pumpkin worksheets for preschool
- Kids will love this phonics Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten where they will work on beginning sounds to put together these alphabet puzzles.
- Pumpkin Letters for tracing alphabet with a dry erase marker or playdough
- Practice reading with these cute, clever and FREE Word Family Sliders Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten
- Improve reading with this fun Word Family Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten
- These super cute Pumpkin Letters and sounds puzzles allow children to practice letter tracing as well as working on beginning sounds
- Sneak in some fun practice with these homophone puzzle pumpkin activities
- You’ll love these no-prep Pumpkin Worksheets where students will color by vowels
- These Pumpkin worksheets and printable activities work on rhyming skills to improve reading and spelling
- Find the Letter Alphabet Pumpkin Worksheets
- Printable October Writing Prompts
Candy Corn Activities
Looking for more candy corn activities for kids? You will love all these creative ideas!
- Free Candy Corn Words
- Candy Corn Edible Playdough
- Addition and Subtraction Candy Corn Math
- Phonics Puzzles with a fun Candy Corn Theme for Fall
- 28 Candy Corn Activities for Kids
- EPIC Candy Corn Popsicle Stick Catapults
- Candy Corn Multiplication and Division Puzzles
- Counting Candy Corn Puzzles
- Candy Corn Turkey Count and Trace
- Free Printable Candy Corn Alphabet Mats