Do you need an easy nature craft for your kids to do this spring or summer? This simple DIY Bird Feeder for Kids is a fun, easy-to-make bird feeder craft and a great way to segway into talking about nature, the life cycle of a bird or just to have a simple conversation about wildlife near your home. My daughter loved making this Toilet Paper Roll Bird Feeder and it was fun to watch her excitement as it came together. Try this peanut butter bird feeder with toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders.
Toilet Paper Roll Bird Feeder
As the weather warms and the kids head outdoors it is great to help give them projects to keep them learning and exploring while having fun. This super cute toilet paper roll bird feeder is a great way to help encourage birds to visit your back yard. By having a peanut butter bird feeder children can observe a variety of birds perfect for a nature study, bird theme, learning about animals, and more. This bird feeder craft is quick and easy to make with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. Whether you are looking for a spring activity for kids or fun summer bucket list idea for children, this DIY bird feeder for kids is a must!
Bird Feeder Craft
All you need to make this homemade bird feeders peanut butter are a few simple materials you probabaly alreayd have on hand:
- Toilet Paper Roll or cardboard tube (empty)
- Peanut Butter
- Bird Seed
- Something to hang (yarn or pipe cleaners)
- Popsicle Sticks
- Hole Punch
DIY Bird Feeder for Kids
To start making your easy bird fidder you will start by punching two holes on the top of the toilet paper roll. This is where you will secure the string or pipe cleaner so that this bird feeder can hang.
Next, we cut slits for the popsicle sticks to slide in for a perch for the birds. I found it easiest if I punched the four holes, on each of the ‘sides’ of the toilet paper roll. Popsicle sticks will not fit in the hole punch holes, but it is easier to get the scissors in to cut the slit when there is already a hole there. Cut four slits and slide two popsicle sticks in, perpendicular to eachother.
Make sure the popsicle sticks fit and then slide them back out. They are secure enough since the slits are small that you don’t have to attach them with glue.
Peanut Butter Bird Feeder
Next, pour bird seed onto a plate. Take a popsicle stick and use it to spread peanut butter around the entire toilet paper roll. We left space on the top and the bottom. This is because of the perches and then the holes for the pipe cleaners.
Once the peanut butter is completely spread, roll the TP roll in the bird seed. Just roll it back and forth until the whole thing is coated. If needed, pick up bird seed with your fingers and press it into the peanut butter. This is just to fill any empty spaces.
Easy Bird Feeders
When the bird seed is attached, slide the popsicle sticks back in. Then add the pipe cleaner to the top by attaching to the holes. Now you are ready to hang it outside.
Homemade Bird Feeders Peanut Butter
We hung it on the lowest branch of our small tree. My daughter was fully expecting birds to flock to it, which they didn’t. BUT i have no doubt that there will be birds on it as soon as they realize that it is there!
This was super simple, it probably took less than 15 minutes to create. This would be great for a girls camp, church camp or just an afternoon summer craft!
Looking for more bird feeder crafts for kids?
- Simple DIY Toilet Paper Roll Bird Feeder for Kids with peanut butter
- Popsicle Stick Bird Feeder Craft for children
- Easy Plastic Bottle Bird Feeder Craft
- 12 Homemade Bird Feeders
- Bird Theme for Preschoolers and Kindegartners
- Paper Plate Peacock Craft
- Bird Worksheets to practice math and literacy skills with 3, 4, and 5 year-olds
- Math Bird Activity for Preschoolers
- Birds for Preschooler Printable Alphabet Book
Summer worksheets for kindergarten
Looking for more fun, summer theme educational activities for prek and kinders? Check out these free summer printables!
- Summer Letter Matching Alphabet Puzzles
- Learn about life cycles with these ladybug life cycle worksheet
- Garden Kindergarten sight Word Activities
- Pail and Shovel Matching Letter Game for Summer
- I Spy Pirate Game
- Summer Handwriting Worksheets
- Hands-on Ice Cream Compound Word Activity
- Garden theme Telling Time Worksheets
- Seed FInd the Letter Summer Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Summer Lego Challenge
- Water Gun Parts of Speach Game
- Playdough Counting Mat Activity with Watermelon Seed Printable
- Summertime Dot Art Printables
- Free Printable Beach Worksheets
- Cute Flip Flip Letter Matching
- Bubble Math Worksheets
- Strawberry Picking Summer Rhyming Activity
- Playdough Ice Cream Pattern Printable Activity
Summer Worksheets for Kids
- Smores Kindergarten Math Worksheets
- Smore complete sentence game
- Playdough Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Cute Summer Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Fun Summer Color by Number pages to work on number recognition and hand muscles
- Work on writing with these June Writing Prompts
- Seachell Color Playdough Mats – fun summer activities for preschoolers
- Convenient Summer Writing Prompts with ruled lines and pictures to color
- Pool Summer Worksheets for Preschoolers
- HUGE pack of Garden Worksheets to practice a variety of math and literacy skills
- Lemonade Activity for Preschoolers – Playdough Counting to Ten
- Summer Number Recognition Coloring Worksheets
- Cute Watermelon Seed Counting Worksheet
- Skip Counting Summer Worksheets
- Simple, Free Beach Coloring Pages
- Summer Activity Pages
- Seashell Alphabet Matching Activity
- Firefly Math Printable Counting Game
- Free Summer Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Sight Word Mazes – Summer Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Sun Summer Tracing Worksheets
- Pool Count and Trace Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Sandcastle Letter Tracing Summer Activities for Kindergarten
In between reading a good book, sneak in some epic fun with these summer activities for kids of all ages:
- 107 Fun Summer Activities
- How to Make a Lava Lamp
- Frozen Rainbow Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Water Balls Summer Activity
- Simple DIY Toilet Paper Roll Bird Feeder for Kids
- Pipe Cleaner Constellations
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- June Activity Calendar
- Exploding Watermelon Science
- Homemade Bubble Solution for GIANT Bubbles
- How to Make Chalk for Summer FUN
- Silly Grass Craft for Kids
- Printable SUmmer Crafts for Preschoolers