Number sense is an important skill for children to learn. This is the foundation for math in their future. This doesn’t have to be overwhelming or boring, though! Kids can have fun learning and practicing skills with activities like this Candy Cane Number Sense Puzzles. This fun Christmas math activity for december is a great way to to help toddler, preschool, and pre-k children as they learn to count and identifying numbers 1-10.
Candy Cane Activity
Number sense is the skill of understanding all parts of a number. There is the numeral symbol of the number but there is also the number word, tally marks, more or less, dots on a dice, etc. Understanding this concept is important and can be practiced with fun activities like this one. This candy candy math printable is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers and they practice counting and working on number recognition this holiday season.
Candy Cane Printables
Candy Cane Math
The prep for this math puzzle activity is super easy. After printing, the next step is to cut each puzzle section out and then each puzzle piece. If you are using this puzzle in a classroom or wanting to use it more than once, I would suggest laminating. This is optional, though.
You don’t need anything else to prep this activity, it is that simple. Once it is prepared, kids can play a few different ways.
Christmas activities for preschoolers
For early learners, I would suggest not using too many pieces as to overwhelm them. Start with two or three different sets and mix them up. Ask the child to sort the puzzle pieces first, by number, and then put the puzzle squares together.
For older children you could use more than two or three sets.
For children who are mastering all of the other options, you can add all the puzzle pieces together in a pile. Ask them to find all the matches and put the puzzles together. You could even say that the puzzle squares will make up one long puzzle snake.
- Grab a piece of paper. Once the puzzle squares are together, for one number, ask the child to write down each of the parts of the puzzle. The number, tally marks and candy canes.
- With the same concept, ask them to write the number word instead or in addition to.
- You could even use these as a matching game. Turn the puzzle pieces over and they have to find matches in order to complete the puzzle. Leave one piece from each set face up on the side and once the find the matches, they will be able to complete the puzzle set.
Looking for more fun ways for kids to practice alphabet letters during December? You will love these FREE Christmas alphabet printables:
- Christmas Tree ABC Game
- Letter Tracing Christmas Strips
- Grinch Christmas Alphabet Activity
- Christmas Alphabet Worksheets
- Christmas Colour by Code Activity
- Christmas Printables
- Christmas 2D Shape Puzzles
- ABC Printable Ornaments Trace & Erase
Free Christmas Worksheets
Looking for more fun Christmas themed, FREE printables for preschoolers in December? You will love these choices:
- Christmas Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Easy-to-Make Hat Christmas Craft for Kids
- Fun to make Christmas Playdough Mats
- These Christmas sight Word Games help kids work on reading fluency.
- Kids will have fun practicing patterns with this Free Christmas Patterns Activity
- Help kids work on color recognition with these Stockings Christmas Color Game
- Practice Counting to 20 with these Christmas Tree Playdough Mats
Don’t miss these free alphabet printables for making learning your ABCs fun and engaging! We also have lots of free preschool math, preschool crafts, books for preschoolers, and playdough mats. Plus we have lots of clever ideas in our preschool themes with a full weeks worth of educational activities.
Free Christmas Printables
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!