This outrageously fun spider counting uses free printable playdough mats for an engaging, hands on counting activities for preschoolers. This is such a fun way for toddler, preschool, pre k, and kindergarten age students to practice counting to 10. This math activity is perfect for a Halloween theme, October theme, bugs theme, or any other time you want a really fun, super cute counting activity for kids.
Counting Activities for Preschoolers
Whether you are studying spiders, bugs, or insects – this creepy crawly spider math activity is a great way to sneak in hands on math and how to count to 10. This counting activities for preschoolers is super cute and low prep. But hours and hours of fun! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this silly counting game for preschoolers, toddlers, and kindergarteners.
Spider Counting Activities
Start out by printing the pages in color. They are mostly in black and white with just a splash of color to save you on printer ink costs. Cut each page in half carefully with scissors to make two spider counting mats per page. I suggest printing on cardstock or laminating for durability. This is especially true if you are using in a classroom or with a preschool coop.
Next is the zany fun part -make spiders out of playdough. You will cut two black or brown pipe cleaner into 3 equal parts each. Now form a small, walnut size ball out of brown or black or even purple play dough. (you can grab our Koolaid Playdough Recipe here). Now insert three pipe cleaners in each side to make the legs. I suggest bending the chenille sticks just a little to make them stand up. Now press in small google eyes as shown above. How cute are these playdough spiders?
If you prefer, this activity can be done with plastic spiders or spider erasers too.
Spider Activities for Preschoolers
Have students look at the number featured on each playdough card. They will then count out the number of spiders they need based on the number they recognized on the counting cards. There are spider playdough mats to help kids count to 10.
HINT: There is also a spider web without a number indicated. You can change the number as many times as you like to count even higher or save on ink.
Spider Playdough Mats
For an extension activity, you can work on counting on. Put fewer spiders on the card than the number featured. Now ask your student how many spiders do you have, how many spiders do you need, and then how many more spiders do you need to have the correct number of spiders on the card. You can even use a whiteboard or dry erase marker if you laminated the cards to show them the equation of the addition within 10 math problem. To solve, have children add on, so if there are 4 spiders on the card and you need 6 you would start with 4 and says 5, 6. You added 2 spiders. So 4 + 2 = 6.
This printable spider game for preschoolers is a fun math activity perfect for Halloween and fall.
Spider Activities for Kids
- Spider Shape Sorting Activity – help the spider trap the items in his web that are the same shape as his web
- S is for Spider Handprint art
- Spooky Spider Counting Game
- Spider Shapes Worksheets for Preschool
- Life Cycle of a Spider Worksheet
- Fun, hands on Spider for Kids unit
- Easy Spider Slime Slime
- Glow in the Dark Spider Web
- Animal classification worksheets
- Animal Classification Cootie Catchers
Thanksgiving Activities for Kids
These free Play dough mats are a perfect Thanksgiving activity for preschoolers, toddlers, and kindergartners.
- Thanksgiving Playdough Cards
- Pumpkin Shape Matching for Preschoolers
- Edible Candy Corn Playdough
- Free Thanksgiving BINGO
- Thanksgiving Color by Number
- Pumpkin traceable Letters
- Thanksgiving Reader for Kids
- Turkey Thanksgiving Word Family Activity
- Pumpkin Candy Count & Trace
Free Playdough Mats
Looking for more fun, free printable playdough mats? You will love these:
- Transportation Playdough mats
- Animal Playdough mats
- Emotion Playdough mats
- Thanksgiving Playdough Mats
- Musical Instruments for Kids Playdough Mats
- Fall Playdough Mats
- Apple Playdough Mats
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Spider Activities for Preschoolers
- Alphabet Playdough Mats
- Peeps Playdough
- Human Body for Kids Playdough Mats
- Color Changing Playdough
- Number Playdough Mats
- Kool Aid Playdough
- Watermelon Seed Counting Playdough Mats
- Monster Shape Playdough Mats
- Tracing letters a-z
- Birthday Cake Printable Playdough mats
- Kids Counting Castle Playdough Mats
- Ice Cream Playdough
- Alphabet Playdough Mats
- ***Don’t miss our MANY free play doh mat printables
Download Spider Counting Mats
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to download their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!