Early learners will have fun practicing building words with dublo blocks with this fun, hands-on spelling activity. Make Duplo Spelling Puzzles to learn letters and spelling as well as learn how to read simple 3-4 letter words. This is a super quick to set-up preschool spelling or spelling games for kindergarten. This lego spelling activity works with any spelling word list and any type of brick blocks you have on hand!
Spelling takes some time to learn. At first, the child must familiarize with, memorize and learn each letter of the alphabet and its sound. Only then they’re able to blend two letters together, then three and so on. But this takes time and can be a large task to achieve for our ever-wandering, energy-filled preschoolers!
These Duplo Spelling Puzzles bring the fun back into learning! Along with learning to recognize each letter and spell simple words, kids are also exercising many important develomental skills. Cognitive Skills are used to analyze the words on the cards and letters on the Duplo pieces, think, compare and match. Fine Motor Skills are improved when kids pick up each duplo piece and put them together. And lastly Hand-eye Coordination, as the child has to match up the Duplo pieces together perfectly to be able to connect them.
Duplo Spelling Puzzles
To set-up this activity you’ll need:
- Duplo pieces
- Dry erase marker
- Permanent marker
- Index cards
Start by cutting the index cards horizontally into thirds, this way you’ll have smaller vertical index cards (you can use whole index cards as well). Write simple 2-4 letter words vertically on each card, as many as you’d like.
Spelling games for kindergarten
Next, using the dry erase marker write every letter of every word you’ve come up with on its own seperate single Duplo piece. Be careful to hold the blocks by the sides not to erase the letters.
For this last step, shuffle the Duplo pieces so they are all mixed between each other.
Spelling Games for Kids
Prep is done! Now, one at a time, lay out an index card with a word for the child to see. Have the child find and match up the correct letters and connect the Duplo pieces together to make a word. Once a word puzzle is completed, move it to the side and do a new word puzzle.
Kids are sure to stay busy, focused and fully engaged while learning many important skills with these Duplo Spelling Puzzles!
- Cute Alphabet Coloring Pages helps build vocabulary and work on beginning sounds and phonemic awareness
- Printable Alphabet Letter for Crafts – we have a printable letter craft for every letter of the alphabet A to Z
- Letter Recognition Worksheets – find and dab the upper and lowercase letters in these super cute ABC printables!
- Simple free alphabet worksheets to color and trace letters
- How cute are these letter find pumpkin worksheets for preschool
- Practice uppercase letter tracing with these super cute animal alphabet cards A-Z
- See all of our FREE ABC Printables here!
- Work on preschool colors with these free color worksheets
- Learn the days of the week for kids with these super cute, free days of the week printables
- Preschool Math is fun with one of our hands-on activities and free printables!
- Learn your shapes with these fun Preschool Shapes Worksheets
- Make one of our adorable printable hat crafts like this popular turkey hat printable
- Apple Worksheets Preschool help kids practice a variety of math and literacy skills with this September theme
- Practice a variety of skills with these super cute, FREE Construction Worksheets
- Work on shape recognition with these Road Shapes mats
- These Free Printable Animal Masks Templates are so much fun! Which animal will you choose?
- Learn by topic with one of our fun, free preschool themes!
- See all of our preschool worksheets here including math, alphabet, printable crafts, playdough mats, and more!
- Celebrate the letter of the week with these adorable, Free Alphabet Hats
- We have lots of themed worksheets like these super cute Frozen preschool worksheets
- Pirate Color by Number Preschool is a fun way to work on letter recognition while strengthening hand muscles
- Color, Read and Learn your letters with this printable alphabet book pdf for each letter A to Z
- Make science FUN for kids of all ages with over 100 Food Experiments to try
- Tons of Bingo Dauber Printables to use with bingo marker, do a dot markers, or circle stickers
- Shaped Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Free Playdough Mats to work on shapes, numbers, colors, alphabet letters, and more!
- Learn about other countries around the world with our free country coloring pages
- Super cute Transportation Playdough Mats are great for building hand muscles while having fun! Plus don’t miss all our free printable playdough mats for preschoolers
- Plus check out our huge list of recommended Books for Preschoolers by topic