Exploding Paint Science Art Project for Kids
Get ready for an EPIC exploding paint art project that will thrill kids of all ages! In this paint explosion kids will create a very unique work of art with the fun process of painitng using alka seltzer for kids! This silly, zany, and outrageously FUN summer art project is sure to delight even your art resistent crowd that doens’t like making crafts. These film canister rocket activity is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th graders too.
Are you looking for a really engaging and memorable summer activity for kids? This exploding paint activity is a MUST TRY. Add this paint explosion to your summer bucket list. Toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and 4th grade students will use alka seltzer to make film canister rockets that will make fun patterns, splatters, and dispercil of paint as you enjoy the excitement of exploding paint rockets!
All you need are a few simple materials to try this outrageously FUN art project for kids:
- film canisters (we bought them on Amazon, but you can find them at garage sales too)
- washable paint
- alka seltzer tablets
- regular, cardstock or watercolor paper
Alka Seltzer for kids
The process to make this fun art project for kids is so simple! Pour some washable paint into each film canister. You don’t have to be exact, about a teaspoon is probably enough. Now add just a few drops of water. If you add too much water, it will dilute the paint and your artwork won’t be as vivid.
We like to do this project outside as it has the potential to make a mess. In our experience the explosions were pretty controlled so we knew how far they went… but still. What a great excuse to get outside and have some fun making a summer art project!
Summer Art Project
This part goes QUICKLY. Break an Alka Seltzer tablet in half and plop half in the film canister. Quickly close the top of the film canister, shake it vigorously a few times, and place it lid side down on the watercolor paper with the top down. Step back and wait for the explosion!
Film canister rocket
Remove the the film canister cap from the paint. Repeat with other paint colors to get a beautiful piece of artwok you made by exploding paint! Feel free to add details with markers to your project if you like.
Painting Ideas for Kids
Allow your project to dry completely. Now you can hang it on the fridge, give it to grandma, or add in details to complete your picture.
Science Experiment for Preschoolers
So what is the science behind the explosion for this Science Art Project. Well basically these Exploding work like the DIY lava lamp by creating a chemical reaction as you mix Alka Seltzer and paint water. Alka Seltzer tablets are made out of citric acid and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). When the water and Alka Seltzer tablet mix you’ve actually combined an acid and base to form carbon dioxide bubbles. When their is no more room inside the film canister the pressure builds up to the canister POPS open to release the pressure, splattering the paint all over the paper.
HINT: If you accidentally didn’t close the lid of the film canister all the way, you would see bubbles escaping from the gap.
Film canisters for rockets
This is such a fun-to-make science experiment for preschoolers that combines art and science for a really cool science activity adn art activity all-in-one.
Looking for more fun kids activities and other ideas to keep kids engaged, learning, and having fun? Check out these:
- EASY Pool Noodle Race Track for Kids
- Mentos and Soda Experiment
- Rainbow Eruptions – Preschool Summer Activity
- Baking Soda Clay
- Amazing Baking Soda Slime
- 30 Homemade Bird Feeders to make
- EPIC Water Balloon Painting Activities
- Fun-to-Make DIY Foosball Table – Stem Project for kids
- Simple Popsicle Stick Catapult project for kids
- 100+ Zoo Animal Crafts
- Summer STEM Ice Boat Races
- Easy Marshmallow Shooter
- Heat Sensitivie Color Changing Slime Recipe
- 100 Exciting Year-Round Science Experiments for Kids
- Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Summer fun
- Outrageously fun Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket
- Cheery Sun Craft for Kids
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
Things to Do with Kids
- Edible Peanut Butter Playdough
- Shape Recognition Activity for Kids
- Rainbow Painting with Cars
- Grass Head Summer Activity for Kids
- Printable Lego Activities for Kids
- Silly Bouncy Egg
- Easy Sand Volcano with NO clean-up
- Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime
- Strawberry Scented Jello Playdough Recipe
- Snake Bubbles
- Beautiful Capillary Action Experiment
- Puffy Paint Recipes and Projects for Kids
- Kool Aid Watermelon Playdough
- LOTS of Fun Sidewalk Chalk Games
- 75+ Free Printable Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Exploding Paint Film Canister Science Art Project
- Watermelon Squish Bag
- Simple Blooming Flowers Capillary Action Experiment
- Mow the Grass Alphabet Activity
- 4th of July Fireworks Craft
- Balloon Painting Art Project for Preschoolers
- Puffy Paint Ice Cream Craft
- Summer pLaydough Mats
- Butterfly Pasta Craft
- Ice Cream Preschool Name Activity
- Sandcastle Number Tracing Summer Worksheets for Preschool