This simple blooming flowers preschool science experiment is so simple and COOL your kids will hardly realize they are learning! In this flower experiment, children will learn about capillary action for kids! Simply print flower template and grab some water to watch this magical capillary action experiment perfect for toddler, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students. This clever twist on the walking water experiment is sure to be a hit with your young learners.
Capillary action experiment with flowers
Amaze your toddlers, preschoolers, kindegartners, and grade 1 students with this magical blooming flowers capillary action experiment for kids! This super SIMPLE experiment only needs our flower template, markers, and water to make a walking water science experiment. But what will captivate your students is the beauty and wonder of watching the flowers bloom, like water lilies during the summer. This science experiment for preschoolers is a great way to introduce kids to the wonder of science and help them get ecited to learn. Add this flower experiment to your flower theme, spring theme, or summer learning at preschool summer camp. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will LOVE this beautiful capillary action experiment.
blooming flower experiment explanation
Start by printing the flowers.
blooming flowers experiment
Next color them in rich, bold colors using markers. Then cut out the flowers carefully.
HINT: If you want to surprise your students do this part ahead of time so they just get to witness the opening of the flowers magically for the first time!
capillary action experiment
Carefully fold each of the petals towards the center and crease well. Repeat with all the flowers you desire. You won’t be able to see the flowers; they are like flowers that close at night like water lilies.
blooming paper flower template
Put a bowl or container of water on a surface and place each flower in the water. We tinted our water blue to make the colors POP!
blooming flower experimentapillary action for kids
The flower will start to slowly open.
blooming paper flower experiment
If you use regular printer paper this happens at a nice, not-to-fast pace. If you use cardstock it will take a while. Tissue paper would go even quicker.
The flower will open petal by petal until it is a pretty flower floating on the water.
Capillary action flowers
Repeat with additional flowers. You can do one at a time to watch the process unravel or do them all at once for a stunning flower show.
capillary action flower experiment
HINT: Write a note on the inside of the flowers for your kids to watch appear!
Blooming flower experiment explanation
So this is pretty and all, but are you sure it’s a science experiment? Sure is!
The reason the pretty paper flowers magically bloom when in the water is because of a scientific term called capillary action! Perhaps you’ve tried one of our other capillary action experiments (walking water), pollution capillary action experiment, or this flower science experiment. If not, make sure you check them out! There are tiny gaps between the tiny wood fibers that make up paper. These spaces allow liquid or air to pass through. Water molecules are “sticky,” meaning that they like to stay close together as well as adhere to other substances.When you place the paper flowers in the water (or H20) the water immediatly adheres to the wall of the vessels and begins to travel to the rest of the paper, dragging the other water molecules along. As the paper absorbs more and more water, the creases flatten out. As a result, the flower petals unfold. So although science does appear like magic many times as you mix substances and make rocket science experiment that fly, it can all be explained and replicated – that’s what makes it SCIENCE!
Learn about amazing plants for kids iwith this intersting and fun botany lesson for kids! From fascinating facts about plants for kids, plant worksheets, hands-on plant activities, creative plant experiments, and even tests with answer keys to test what your child has learned, you will love this fun printable science lesson for kids! Use this plant lesson with first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade, 7th grade, and 8th graders too.
>>>> Get our plant lesson here <<<<<
- Potato Maze – Summer STEM Activity for Kids
- Water Pollution for Kids Science Expeirment
- Simple Geranium Photosynthesis Experiment for Kids
- How to Regrow Celery in Water
- Food coloring flower experiment worksheet Science Experiment for kids
- Color Changing Flower Experiment learning about capillar action
- Simple Blooming Flowers Capillary Action Experiment
- Grow Crystals Flower Experiment
- Easy BEE Pollination Experimnt for kids using Jello
- Simple Acid Rain Pollution Experiment for Kids
- Seeds and Plants Unit filled with hands-on Plant Activities for Kindergarten
- Beautiful Chromatography for Kids Flower Project
- Free Printable Parts of a Plant Flipbook
- Life Cycle of a Sunflower Worksheet Pack
- LOTS of Gardening with Kids tips and information
- Plant Life Cycle Worksheets and Observation Book
- Cute, printable Name flower craft
- Flower Upper and Lowercase Letter Matching
- Seeds and Plants Activities for Kindergarten
- Easy Celery Experiment
- Life Cycle of a Plant Worksheet Pack
- Silly Egg Head Spring Activities for Kids
- Steps to Planting a Seed Worksheet
- Grass Craft for Kids
- Stunning Lacing Flower Craft
- Pasta in clay Flower Crafts
- Super cute Printable Name Flower Craft
- Pretty Cherry Blossom Craft for SpringFun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
- This spin art Flower Craft for kids is almost as beautiful as they are fun to make
- Simple Sunflower Crafts that are bright, cheery, and simple to make
- This flower activity for preschoolers changes things up to use flowers to create art
- Show off these pretty flower suncatcher craft
- Tulip Flower Craft for Kids
- 100 Flower Crafts from A to Z
- Purple Hollyhock Tissue Paper Flowers Craft
- Dandelion flower craft project
- Zinnia Fingerprint Flower Craft
- Hyacinth Flower Craft
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- White Dandelion Craft for Preschoolers
- 10+ Pasta Flower Crafts for Kids
- Beautiful Painted Flower Craft Preschool
- Delphinium Egg Carton Flowers Craft for Kids
Looking for some fun, educational spring theme ideas to make learning fun this April and May? Check out these fun resources:
- Cute, free printable Flower Shape Flower Craft for kids
- Flower Rhyming Worksheet
- FREE Printable Flower Scavenger Hunt
- Sunflower Printable ABC Puzzles
- Flower Beginning Sounds Activity
- Flower Kindergarten Sight Words Maze Worksheets
- Pretty Flower Name Worksheet for Kindergarten
- F is for Flower Handprint Craft
- Practice making shapes with these flower playdough mats
- Spring Flower Counting Games for Preschoolers
- Flower Letter Matching Printable
- Digraph Activity Build-a-Flower
- Planting Carrot cvc activities for kindergarten
- Flower Sight Word Maze Worksheets to practice reading fluency
- Seeds Free Addition Games – fun math activity for kindergarten age kids
- Letter Find Flower Worksheets
- Flower Worksheets for Preschoolers to practice a variety of skills
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.