Kids will have fun practicing phonics skills with this FREE Beginning Sounds Phonics Game. It is perfect for achieving reading readiness.
Phonics is an essential skill for learning to read and learning to identify beginning sounds is one a key phonics skill. Before we move on, let me say there is ZERO need for your preschooler to be reading before kindergarten so this activity is not intended to teach your child to read. However, there are many benefits to learning the sounds or phonemes that letters make. This activity will work on phonemic awareness which will make it easier to teach your child to read when they are ready.
This beginning sounds matching activity is great for preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age children.
Focus Skills: This activity will specifically work on the beginning sounds phonics skill. Your child will identify a picture and the initial sound for said picture. Then they will match the beginning sound that they heard to the letter that makes that sound.
Your pre-k kiddo is going to enjoy identifying the vibrant pictures and the beginning sounds. This is such a fun, hands on beginning sounds activity for preschoolers and kindergartners.
For this activity you will need to print the preschool printable below and cut the pages into strips with 2 lines per strip – picture and blank line per strip. Set out with letter magnets and you are ready for some fun learning activity with prek.
- Download the FREE below Beginning Sounds Phonics Matching Game Template
- Print and cut the template.
- Identify the picture.
- Determine the beginning sound for the picture.
- Match the letter magnet to the corresponding picture.
- You can laminate the template for durability and make it dry erase marker friendly
- You can add the element of writing, by replacing the letter magnets with a marker and writing in the letters instead.
- Fruit Loop Alphabet Printable Snack Mats
- Simple Preschool Alphabet Worksheets
- Alphabet Do a Dot Printables – practice making upper and lowercase letters
- Alphabet Sounds Apple Book
- Super cute ABC Coloring Pages
- Handprint Alphabet Crafts from A to Z
- ABC Printable Bracelets perfect for a letter of the week approach
- Hole Punching Letter Recognition Activity
- Apple Alphabet Tracing Cards
- Construction Tracing Letters
- These Alphabet Printable Hats are hugely popular
Don’t miss these free alphabet printables for making learning your ABCs fun and engaging! We also have lots of free preschool math, preschool crafts, books for preschoolers, and playdough mats. Plus we have lots of clever ideas in our preschool themes with a full weeks worth of educational activities.
Download Magnetic Letters Reading Activity
Before you download your Beginning Sounds Phonics Matching Game Template, you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.