Kids will have fun building a snowman as they practice identifying the sounds letters make with these adorable snowman printables. These snowman phonics worksheets are an engaging, hands-on activity for helping preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students about initial sounds. Simply download pdf file and print winter phonics and say the name of the picture on the snowball; listen for the beginning sound and add the snowball to the snowman head with the alphabet letter that matches the sound you heard.
How much fun are these phonics build a snowman printables? Even if the weather is cold and snowy outside, you can make learning fun this winter with this educational activity perfect for December, January, and February. Students will use what they’ve learned about phonemic awareness to listen for initial sounds and build a cute winter snowman using the free printable template in this winter activity for kindergartners, first graders, and preschoolers. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love that this engaging reading readiness activity provides extra practice for at home or as a literacy center in your classroom. This is a fun seasonal supplement to your homeschool phonics curriculum.
Initial Sound Activity
Are you wondering why teaching beginning sounds is so important?
Helping students understand the sounds letters make alone is essential for developing readers and writers. Once kids understanding that letters come together with other letters and that their sounds make words they are able to transfer this knowledge to their reading and writing. But before you jump into phonics, students need a firm understanding on phonemic awareness. This means they are aware that words are made up of sounds! The easiest place to start is beginning sounds because, well, they come first! Teaching students to find beginning sounds in words is super fun with this Snowmen activity for prek and kindergarten age kids.
- Free Beginning Sounds Worksheets – no prep activity for practicing recognitizing beginning sounds with bingo dauber markers
- Penguin Beginning Sounds Match – cute winter themed activity for practicing matching letters with the sounds they make
- Beginning Sounds Clip Cards – fun, hands on activity for practicing; this activity is self checking!
- Alphabet Letters Beginning Sounds Match – clever board game that has kids clip pictures to practice matching beginning sounds
- Phonics Hot Chocolate & Marshmallow Matching – this winter themed beginning sounds matching activity is a fun way for kids to practice phonemic awareness
Cut the snowmen body parts apart. You are ready for the fun, winter themed phonemic awareness activity for preschoolers and kindergartners.
Hint: We like to store our pieces in a small ziplock bag for ease of use and reuse. Parents, teachers, and tutors can use this winter educational activity in literacy centers or as extra practice over and over again!
Phonics Activity for Winter
For students just starting to listen for the sounds letters make, you may want to start by just giving them parts for a few snowmen at a time. Above we laid out the snowman pieces for letter r, letter y, letter q, and letter t. The activity is easier the fewer the snowman you complete at the same time, the easier the activity is.
There is a snowman head with an attached top hat for each alphabet letter of the alphabet from A to Z. Have students tell you what sound the letter makes. (The r says “rrr”) Then say the name of the picture on the snowball body part out loud, listening for the beginning sound of the word. Above students said rain and heard the rr sound at the begining. The preschooler then put the rain snowball below the R snowman. They will continue saying the picture names out loud for the remaining snowballs and sort them by beginning sound until each snowman is complete.
A complete snowman consiste of 3 snowballs – letter head and 2 additional snowballs with pictures on them. Sorting these images is great for practicing phonemic awareness!
Snowman Activity for Preschoolers
Looking for even more fun snowman activities for preschoolers during the month of January? You will love these fun, clever activities:
- Snowman Printable Addition Within 10 Clip Cards – these super cute clip cards are a fun way for prek and kindegarten age kids to practice addition within 10
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe – fun recipe that allows kids to create their own one-of-a-kind snowmen over and over again
- Circle Snowman Craft – looking for a simple and super cute snowman craft for kids to make in January? You will love this one!
- 31 January Activities for Kids – looking for even more creative preschool activities for winter, check out these clever ideas!
- S is for Snowman – this preschool letter s unit for winter has so many fun ideas!
- Snowman Pritnable Emergent Reader – this free printable is a fun way for young learners to practice counting to 10 while gaining confidence reading
- Printable Snowman Coloring Pages – these super cute winter coloring sheets are great for working on beginning sounds and building vocabulary too
- Snowman Puffy Paint Recipe – this epic recipe is sure to be a hit with everyone!
Don’t miss these free alphabet printables for making learning your ABCs fun and engaging! We also have lots of free preschool math, preschool crafts, books for preschoolers, and playdough mats. Plus we have lots of clever ideas in our preschool themes with a full weeks worth of educational activities.
Download Phonemic Awareness Snowman
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to download their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!