Celebrate the 4th of July for kids with really fun and simple 4th of July science experiments. This fourth of July activity is a fun twist on the classic magic milk experiments to make it feel like your toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders are creating fireworks. In this red white and blue science project kids will learn some basic chemistry for kids with an independence day activity.
4th of July Science Experiments
Looking for a quick, easy, but WOW activity to celebrate the 4th of July? This fourth of july science experiments allows kids to have with a magic milk experiment that makes fireworks out of red, white and blue as kids explore a simple chemical reaction. This 4th of July Science Experiment is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. Whether you add it to your 4th of July theme, as an Independence Day activity for kids.
Magic Milk experiment
All you need to try this Fourth of July activity are a few simple materials you probably already have in your kitchen:
- baking dish or pie pan
- star cookie cutters (optional)
- food coloring – red and blue
- liquid dish soap
- full fat milk
4th of july activities for kids
The set-up for this 4th of July science experiment is super simple. Pour milk to form a thin layer in your dish – just enough to cover the bottom. Now place a couple star cookie cutters in the milk.
Independence Day activities for kids
Drip 2 drops of red and 2 blue food coloring inside the stars.
4th of July Activities for Preschoolers
Now drop of liquid dish soap right in the center of the star and colors scatter, just like Fourth of July fireworks!
Fourth of July Activities
Repeat with the other stars to make your own patriotic science experiment recreating fireworks in the colors of our American flag – red, white, and blue.
Fourth of July Activities for Preschoolers
I love that this activity takes less than 5 minutes, but is super engaging with a great WOW effect that will keep kids curious and excited to explore and learn! The goal of early science is to keep kids inquisitive, wondering, and exploring! Learning is FUN!
You can always do the project without the cookie cutters – it will make a lovely pattern that is as fun to experiment with as it is mesmorizing to watch.
Independence Day Activities for Preschoolers
So let’s get to the educational part of this fun preschool science experiment.
This kitchen science experient uses milk. Milk is made up of minerals, proteins, and fats – which is why we used whole fat milk. When we add dish soap to the milk, the dish soap molecules move around to try and attach to the fat molecules in the milk. The food coloring allows us to see this in a way that we couldn’t in the white milk. The food coloring gets shoved out of the way and makes it look like fireworks! When all the dish soap that you introduce has attached itself to the fat, the show is over. Try adding some more and see what happens!
4th of July Activities
- 100 FUN 4th of July Crafts & Activities for Kids
- Try this easy Fireworks 4th of July Craft
- 4th of July Red White and Blue Experiment
- Easy “Bursting” Stars 4th of July Science Experiments
- Bleeding Tissue Paper 4th of July Crafts
- Print off these FREE 4th of July Coloring Pages to help kids learn about common patriotic symbols.
- Try this EASY Red, White and Blue 4th of July Science Experiment!
- Fireworks in a Jar – 4th of July Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Subtraction 4th of July Math Worksheets
- Magic Milk 4th of July Science Experiments
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket 4th of July Science Experiment for Kids
- Painters Tape American Flag Craft
- Firework 4th of July Crafts for Preschoolers
- EPIC Red White and Blue Slime
- Bomb Pop Fourth of July Craft
- Founding Father George Washington Craft
- 4th of July Firework Crafts with shaving cream
- Simply 4th of July Fireworks Crafts
- 4th of July Firework Craft for Independence Day with free printable templates
- Over 100 4th of July Activities and Crafts for Kids of all ages!
4th of July Printables
Looking for more fun and FREE fourth of July printables? You will love these:
- Kids will have practicing number recognition while revealing patriotic hidden images in these FREE 4th of July Color by Number Worksheet
- The whole family will have fun playing this free printable 4th of July Bingo Game
- Super cute, free 4th of July Hat Craft
- Fourth of July I Spy – super cute 4th of July Worksheets
- Free 4th of July Worksheets for Preschool kids
- Learn more about the good old USA with these American Symbols Worksheets
- American Symbols for Kids themed worksheets
- Read, Color, and Learn about American Symbols for Kids
- Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Have fun grilling with these 4th of July Activity counting with playdough mats
- Practice CVC Words with this fun, educational 4th of July Activity
- Color by Hundreds Chart 4th of July Worksheets