This outrageously FUN Exploding Pumpkin is a fun halloween science experiment for kids of all ages from toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. This pumpkin activity is super simple to try using common materials you already have in your kitchen! Use this halloween activities to teach kids a little chemistry with this baking soda and vinegar experiment as part of your pumpkin theme or halloween theme in October.
Kids will go nuts over this easy autumn science activity for preschoolers, kindergartner, toddlers, and grade 1 students that they will want to try over and over and over again! To make the pumpkin explode children will use a couple simple kitchen supplies to create a baking soda and vinegar science experiment. Get ready for giggles of excitement as the snowman gets bigger and bigger before it POPS! Use this halloween activity for kids during October for a fun harvest and Halloween Science.
Halloween Science Experiment
To complete fall science experiments all you need are these simple supplies you already have in your kitchen.
- Sandwich size ziplock bag (or larger if you want to double it for double the fun!) – the slide ones are quick and easy or little fingers!
- orange food coloring (optional)
- baking soda
- paper towel
- black sharpie
I suggest doing this project outside to make sure you dont’ make a mess =)
Halloween Activity for Kids
Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
So how does this simple chemistry experiment for kids work? As baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, mixes with vinegar, carbon dioxide is created. The bag starts to fill with carbon dioxide (and that’s why you see the bag start to swell up) until the pressure is too much and … BOOM!
- before you try this easy preschool science experiment ask them to guess what will happen (called a hypothesis)
- Try with different size bags
- Or have children mix up the amount of vinegar or baking soda and see what happens
Pumpkin Activity for Kids
- Homemade Halloween Silly Putty Activities
- How to Make Pumpkin Slime
- Taste Safe Pumpkin Clay for Kids
- Spookley the Square Pumpkin Shape Activity with homemade Pumpkin Playdough
- Super cute parts of a pumpkin craft to help kids learn the parts of a pumpkin
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheets pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Printable, Cut-and-Paste Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet
- Simple Skittles Pumpkin Science Experiment
- EASY Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiments
- Dissapearing Flying Ghost Halloween Science Experiment
Halloween Science Experiments
- Errupting Halloween Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiments
- Not-so-Spooky Halloween Ghost Science Experiment
- Exploding Pumpkin Science Experiment for October
- Dissolving Candy Halloween Science Experiments
- Frankenworms Halloween Science Experiment
- Melting Pumpkins Science Experiment for October
- EASY Static Electricity Ghost Experiment
- Halloween Lava Lamp Science Experiment
- Use your leftover Halloween candy to try some of these candy science experiments, or this water displacement with candy, or this fun candy STEM idea.
- Pumpkin Counting activity that uses free printable and pumpkin candy corn to count and trace
- Count to 20 Pumpkin Playdough Mats
- Practice skip counting with this hands-on pumpkin math activity
- Super cute, free printable pumpkin addition game
- Fall Addition Sticker Worksheets are a fun, hands-on math worksheet
- Pumpkin Shape Matching Game to practice shape recognition with kids
- Make practicing math fun with this super cute, Pumpkin Patch Math Game
- These fun, reusable pumpkin math worksheets are super cute and make practicing addition fun for kindergartners
- Work on color words with this free pumpkin worksheets for preschoolers
- Pumpkin Matching Game
- Even older students will have fun getting in on the pumpkin theme with these multiplication pumpkin math puzzles
- These order of operation puzzles are another fun pumpkin math activity for older students.
Plus don’t miss our yummy pumpkin recipes for fall: