My kids love themed activities almost as much as they love candy science! This red white and blue science project combines them both for colorful, fun independence day activities that explore how things dissolve. This fourth of July science allows kids to have fun learning a simple science principle while having some fun with 4th of July activities for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders.
Red White and Blue Science
Kids will be amazed as they learn with this 4th of July experiment. This dissolving science experiment allows toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students learn with a simple science experiment. Whether you are a parent, teacher, homeschooler, or runing a summer camp – you will love this engaging independence day activity for kids. I love when science and play meet for a chance to make learning fun! Try this simple fourth of July science experiments that uses 3 simple materials.
Red white and blue science experiments
You will love that all you need for this skittle science experiment are 3 ingredients:
- red, white, and blue skittles (4th of July bag)
- hot water
- pie plate or dish with lip
Fourth of July Science
To try this skittle candy experiment you will put the skittles in the pattern of your choice on the plate. We choose to make a patritotic themed project to make some red, white, blue science.
4th of July Activities
Once you have the candy lined up. Slowly pour very hot water along the edge of the skittle candies. Make sure you pour enough water so it reaches the middle so you can watch the skittle science happen. What happens?
Fourth of July Science Experiments
Kids will be amazed at how the red white and blue color evenly begins spreadin across the water.
The best part is the diffusion begins happening right away which means your little learners don’t have to be patient. This entire skittle science experiment will be done in 5-10 minutes top!
Skittles diffusion experiment
Skittles are coated with food coloring and sugar. Sugar melts and dissolves in water, quicker and better in warmer water. The candy coating begins to melt off the hard shell and dissover through the water which is why it looks like it is graveling towards the center. Each color has a similar amount of coating so they all dissolve at a simlar speed so they stay in their lanes so-to-speak as it moves towards the middle of the plate.
This is such a fun way to sneak in a simple science experiment about how things dissolve while having fun with a patriotic science project.
4th of July Science Experiments
You can try this dissolving candy experiment with different colors, patterns, shapes, and more.
Looking to take the experiment up a notch? Try using different substances and see if the project works as well:
- cold water versus warm water
- water versus corn srup
- skittles versus m&m
4th of July Activities
- 100 FUN 4th of July Crafts & Activities for Kids
- Red White and BLue Science Expeirment
- Try this easy Fireworks 4th of July Craft
- 4th of July Red White and Blue Experiment
- Easy “Bursting” Stars 4th of July Science Experiments
- Bleeding Tissue Paper 4th of July Crafts
- Print off these FREE 4th of July Coloring Pages to help kids learn about common patriotic symbols.
- Try this EASY Red, White and Blue 4th of July Science Experiment!
- Fireworks in a Jar – 4th of July Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Subtraction 4th of July Math Worksheets
- Magic Milk 4th of July Science Experiments
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket 4th of July Science Experiment for Kids
- Painters Tape American Flag Craft
- Fidget Spinner Firework Crafts
- Firework 4th of July Crafts for Preschoolers
- EPIC Red White and Blue Slime
- Bomb Pop Fourth of July Craft
- Founding Father George Washington Craft
- 4th of July Firework Crafts with shaving cream
- Simply 4th of July Fireworks Crafts
- 4th of July Firework Craft for Independence Day with free printable templates
- Over 100 4th of July Activities and Crafts for Kids of all ages!
4th of July Printables
Looking for more fun and FREE fourth of July printables? You will love these:
- Kids will have practicing number recognition while revealing patriotic hidden images in these FREE 4th of July Color by Number Worksheet
- The whole family will have fun playing this free printable 4th of July Bingo Game
- Super cute, free 4th of July Hat Craft
- Fourth of July I Spy – super cute 4th of July Worksheets
- Free 4th of July Worksheets for Preschool kids
- Learn more about the good old USA with these American Symbols Worksheets
- American Symbols for Kids themed worksheets
- Read, Color, and Learn about American Symbols for Kids
- Free Printable State Coloring Pages
- Have fun grilling with these 4th of July Activity counting with playdough mats
- Practice CVC Words with this fun, educational 4th of July Activity
- Color by Hundreds Chart 4th of July Worksheets