Just because it’s summertime doesn’t mean the learning has to stop. In fact, now is the time to incorporate lots of fun, engaging summer activities for kids! This sandcastle activities allow toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders to learn some summer science. Include this baking soda and vinegar experiment in your upcoming beach theme for an outrageoulsy fun kids activity.
Kids love building sandcastles. They are great fun, but also good for strengthening hand muscles, improving coorindation, working on STEM skills designing and engineering, and more! This sandcastle activity is a great educational summer activities for preschoolers, toddlers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students in reverse. We are going to melt the sandcastle using a simple summer experiment. This baking soda and vinegar project is a quick and easy beach activity that is sure to enagege even reluctant learners.
All you need for this fun baking soda and vinegar reaction is a few simple materials including:
- 1-3 boxes baking soda
- 1+ cup vinegar
- blue food coloring
- 1-3 teaspoons clear dish soap
- squirt bottle (optional, but helpful)
- small sandcastle mold (optional, but helpful)
- plate with lip
- plastic gold coin(optional)
- shells, plastic beach creatures, etc. (for decoration)
Start out by mixing the blue food coloring and the distilled white vinegar in a squirt bottle.
Now mix together the baking soda, dish soap, and water in a bowl, adding just engouth water so you can get a mixture that will hold a ball shape.
Scoop in and press the baking soda mixture into a sandcastle mold. If you can’t find a mold the size you want to make, you can always form the mixture by hand. This is great for strengthening little hand muscles!
HINT: Add a plastic gold coin inside the sandcastle before forming it for a surprise as the caslte melts!
Turn over the mold onto a plate with a lip and knock on the top and sides gently so the shaped baking soda slides out. Add sea shells, plastic sea creatures, sand, etc. if you like to theme your sandcastle, beach science project.
Summer activities for preschoolers
Pour a little bit of the blue vinegar on the sandcastle. Do just a little at a time. AS the water washes over the sand castle, what happens?
Summer activities for kids
The blue vinegar ACID will react with the baking soda BASE to form a chemical reaction that creates CO2 (Carbon Dioxide). This will expand and is amplified by the dish soap which will create bubbles.
Baking soda and vinegar experiment
Continue adding blue vinegar and watch as the baking soda sandcastle begis to melt in a foamy, bubbly chemical reaction.
Baking soda and vinegar reaction
We opted to add a gold coin to the middle of our sandcastle as we were creating it. Kids will giggle with excitement as the sandcastle breaks apart to reveal treasure inside!
Summer Science Activities for Preschoolers
This summer sandcastle activity is such a fun blending of science and activity for a hands-on engaging project for kids of all ages!
Looking for more fun kids activities and other ideas to keep kids engaged, learning, and having fun? Check out these:
- EASY Pool Noodle Race Track for Kids
- Mentos and Soda Experiment
- Rainbow Eruptions – Preschool Summer Activity
- Baking Soda Clay
- Scented Lemonade Playdough Recipe for Summer
- Amazing Baking Soda Slime
- 30 Homemade Bird Feeders to make
- EPIC Water Balloon Painting Activities
- Fun-to-Make DIY Foosball Table – Stem Project for kids
- Simple Popsicle Stick Catapult project for kids
- 100+ Zoo Animal Crafts
- Summer STEM Ice Boat Races
- Easy Marshmallow Shooter
- Heat Sensitivie Color Changing Slime Recipe
- 100 Exciting Year-Round Science Experiments for Kids
- Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- Summer Experiment Melting Sandcastles Activity for Kids
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Summer fun
- Outrageously fun Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
Things to Do with Kids
- Edible Peanut Butter Playdough
- Shape Recognition Activity for Kids
- Rainbow Painting with Cars
- Grass Head Summer Activity for Kids
- Printable Lego Activities for Kids
- Silly Bouncy Egg
- Easy Sand Volcano with NO clean-up
- Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime
- Strawberry Scented Jello Playdough Recipe
- Snake Bubbles
- Beautiful Capillary Action Experiment
- Puffy Paint Recipes and Projects for Kids
- Kool Aid Watermelon Playdough
- LOTS of Fun Sidewalk Chalk Games
- 75+ Free Printable Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Exploding Paint Film Canister Science Art Project
Summer Activities for Preschooler
- Watermelon Squish Bag
- Simple Blooming Flowers Capillary Action Experiment
- Mow the Grass Alphabet Activity
- 4th of July Fireworks Craft
- Balloon Painting Art Project for Preschoolers
- Cute Suncatcher Sun Craft Preschool
- Puffy Paint Ice Cream Craft
- Summer pLaydough Mats
- Butterfly Pasta Craft
- Ice Cream Preschool Name Activity
- Sandcastle Number Tracing Summer Worksheets for Preschool