Summer is such a colorful time of year! All the plants in bloom and beautiful weather makes it the perfect time to go exploring outdoors. It’s also a great time to work on colors and observation skills with your preschooler! This simple outdoor scavenger hunt for kids is a great way to help kids get excercise, get in nature, and learn preschool colors too. Use this nature scavenger hunt with toddler, preschool pre-k, and kindergarten age children.
Outdoor scavenger hunt for kids
Inspired by all the different sights to see just in our own backyard, the kids and I did a Nature Color Search. Toddlers and preschoolers will love this hands-on nature activity to get outside and explore while learning! It couldn’t be any easier and yet will provide your kids with tons of educational fun.
Nature Color Search for Preschoolers
To start your nature color search, you only need a few simple things. A piece of cardboard, clothespins, crayons, and the colorful outdoors! My preschooler also used a magnifying glass for fun, but it’s not necessary.
Take your cardboard and use the crayons to color sections of each color you want to search for. Right now there are lots of colors to find, but other times of the year will work better if the focus is on the colors common for that season.
Once the cardboard is all colored, set the kids loose in whatever area they are searching in! We looked around our backyard and then took a walk where we found the blue feather. Local parks can be great places to let them explore safely.
Learning Colors and Counting
You could even turn it into a color AND counting game! For example, autumn is more likely to have many reds, oranges, yellows, and browns. So instead of having to just find the different colors, challenge your preschooler to find three different nature items in orange. It’s an easy way to keep the activity going longer and bring some math lessons into it as well!
Nature scavenger hunt
As your toddler or preschooler finds different items, let them match everything up to the correct colors. Using the clothespins also makes for great fine motor skills work, but your toddler will likely need some help with that part. Once all the colors are found, your kids can even go back to find more of each color!
This fun and simple activity can be adapted to any time of the year and be done over and over again. It’s a great way to take the learning outside and encourage them to explore in nature. This is a favorite activity in our house and I bet it will be in yours, too! For a fun, educational extension idea, grab this Printable Nature Journal for Kids to take along with your hunt.
Color Activities for Preschoolers
- Free Printable Color Worksheets
- 27 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super Cute Crayon Colors Craft
- Fruit Loop Color Activity for Preschool
- Printable color flashcards for toddlers
- Preschool Color Book Printable
- 40 Colour Recognition Activities
- Rainbow Sorting Games for Preschoolers
- Learning Color Words
- Fall Emergent Reader
- Learning Colors Printable
- Free Color Sorting Mat
- Octopus Learning Colors Printable
- Valentines Day Color Activity for Preschool
- Colors Book Printable
- Christmas Color Activity for Preschool
- Christmas Color Activities for Kindergarten
- Painting Worksheets
- Seashell Playdough Color Activity for Preschoolers
- Easter Color Words for Kids Printable Reader
- Free Printable Color Flashcards
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printable
- Good night Gorilla Color Activity for Preschool
- Turkey Color Activity for Preschool
- Fruit Loop Sorting Mat
Printable Scavenger Hunt
Looking for ways to help teach and entertain kids at the same time? You will love these printable scavenger hunts for elementary age kids.
- Zoo Scavenger Hunt – LOTS of choices for younger kids and educational fieldtrip options too
- Easter neighborhood easter egg hunt
- Luke 2 Christmas Story scavenger Hunt
- Christmas Christmas Scavenger Hunt – christmas decorations, christmas movie, christmas selfie
- Kids Halloween Scavenger Hunt
- Nature Walk Scavenger Hunt Activity
- Free Camping Scavenger Hunt for Kids
- USA State Bird Scavenger Hunt Printables for Kids
- Printable Flower Scavenger Hunt
- FREE Printable Farm Scavenger Hunt for Kids
- USA State Animal Scavenger Hunt Printables
- J is for Jesus Candy Cane Scavenger Hunt
- Noun Scavenger Hunt
- Earth Day Scavenger Hunt
- Fall Leaf Scavenger Hunt for kids – great way to learn about the different type of trees in your area
- Library Scavenger Hunt – LOTS of options inlcuding search by genre, specific books, resource to get to know your library, using book catalog, and more!
- Simple Nature Fall Scavenger Hunt
- St Patricks Day Scavenger Hunt
- Creative Grocery Store Scavenger Hunt
- Camping Scavenger Hunt for Kids
- Spring Scavenger Hunt – head out and explore your neighborhood or use as a car activity
- Scavenger Hunt BINGO
- Free Printable Indoor Scavenger Hunt PDF
- Over 76 FREE Printable Scavenger Hunts for Kids