I just LOVE simple science activities that help my kids explore the world around them and wonder WHY things happen. This halloween skittles project allows kids to explore how colors diffuse with a really pretty and fun pumpkin science experiment. This halloween activities is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders too.
Whenever you add candy to learning kids tend to get more excited and stay more engaged. This simple and fun halloween skittles activity is perfect for October. In this skittles experiment children will get to create the pumpkin and just add water to watch the colors diffuse and fill in their picture. We’ve done so many versions of this easy project and my kids love each and every one of them. This halloween science experiments is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this pumpkin activity for kids is sure to be a hit.
Pumpkin Science Experiment
All you need for this simple october science experiment are a few simple materials:
- flat plate, pie pan, or dish
- hot water
Arrange pumpkin skittles to form a pumpkin on a plate with a lip. Add green skittles at the top to look like a stem.
Halloween Science Experiment
Carefully, slowly pour HOT water around the entire edge of the plate.
Watch as the color on the skittle candy melts with the heat of the water and diffuses evenly throughout the liquid on the plate. It will look like the color is filling in and making a pretty filled in pumpkin!
So, what is the science part of the this fun fall activity? Skittles are coated in food colouring and sugar. When you pour water over the skittles the coloured coating dissolves spreading through the water. The colour and sugar dissolve into the water and then diffuse through the water, making it the colour of the skittle.
Pumpkin Activities for Preschoolers
This is such a fun and SIMPLE science project for preschoolers to try in Octoober. They will remember this project. And although it isn’t super technical, teaching kids to get excited about learning, to explore the world around them, and to make hypothesis is super important.
Pumpkin Activity for Kids
- Homemade Halloween Silly Putty Activities
- How to Make Pumpkin Slime
- Taste Safe Pumpkin Clay for Kids
- Spookley the Square Pumpkin Shape Activity with homemade Pumpkin Playdough
- Super cute parts of a pumpkin craft to help kids learn the parts of a pumpkin
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheets pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Printable, Cut-and-Paste Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet
- Simple Skittles Pumpkin Science Experiment
- EASY Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiments
- Dissapearing Flying Ghost Halloween Science Experiment
Halloween Science Experiments
- Errupting Halloween Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiments
- Not-so-Spooky Halloween Ghost Science Experiment
- Exploding Pumpkin Science Experiment for October
- Dissolving Candy Halloween Science Experiments
Halloween Activities for Preschoolers
- Frankenworms Halloween Science Experiment
- Melting Pumpkins Science Experiment for October
- EASY Static Electricity Ghost Experiment
- Halloween Lava Lamp Science Experiment
- Use your leftover Halloween candy to try some of these candy science experiments, or this water displacement with candy, or this fun candy STEM idea.
- Pumpkin Counting activity that uses free printable and pumpkin candy corn to count and trace
- Count to 20 Pumpkin Playdough Mats
- Practice skip counting with this hands-on pumpkin math activity
- Super cute, free printable pumpkin addition game
- Fall Addition Sticker Worksheets are a fun, hands-on math worksheet
- Pumpkin Shape Matching Game to practice shape recognition with kids
- Make practicing math fun with this super cute, Pumpkin Patch Math Game
- These fun, reusable pumpkin math worksheets are super cute and make practicing addition fun for kindergartners
- Work on color words with this free pumpkin worksheets for preschoolers
- Pumpkin Matching Game
- Even older students will have fun getting in on the pumpkin theme with these multiplication pumpkin math puzzles
- These order of operation puzzles are another fun pumpkin math activity for older students.
Plus don’t miss our yummy pumpkin recipes for fall:
- Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Waffles
- Cute Pumpkin Krispy Treats
- Deliciuos Pumpkin Chili
- Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- Lava Cake Pumpkin Dessert
- 40 Yummy Pumpkin Recipes
- Everyone’s Favorite Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread