Celebrate Valentines Day in February by whipping up a batch of this realy fun Conversation Heart Ooblek! Making ooblek is quick and easy and loads of fun as this substance is hard in yoru hand and then drizzles out of your hand – WOW! This valentines day activity is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. The cute heart candies in the ooblek recipe make this valentines day activities for preschoolers extra fun!
Do your kids like ooblek? To this day, in my own life, this is the most fascinating substance. It is hard and then drizzles out of your hand. I still can’t get over it, so kids just have to be amazed. This is one experiment that my daughter never gets bored of. We switch up the colors and theme and she will play over and over! This particular instance we made Conversation Heart Ooblek for Valentine’s Day! Use this preschool valentines day activity with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. This is a fun play activity perfect for Valentine’s Day!
For this easy ooblek recipe you’ll only needa few simple materials you already have in your kitchen:
- Corn Starch
- Red or Pink Food Coloring
- Conversation Hearts
Add the conversation hearts to a dish first, before adding the cornstarch or water. This will lake sure that they get mixed in adequately. WE like to use a glass pie pan, but whatever you have on hand will work!
Valentines Day Activity
We don’t measure when we make ooblek anymore, but I would say it is about 3 parts corn starch to 1 part water.
I like to pour the cornstarch in the dish first and then slowly add water. If you are adding food coloring, add this to the water before pouring over the cornstarch.
When you add in the water, stir as you go. You’ll know exactly when you are ready to play because it will get really hard to stir. This is the science in action!
Valentines day activities for preschoolers
How fun is this?
Have your child explore the science of it by hitting it with a fist motion. Their hand will stop when it meets the ooblek. Then have them pick it up like a snowball. It will start drizzling out of their hand. How sweet, right?
This is because the mixture of the cornstarch and water creates a non-Newtonian fluid, which is fluids that change viscosity when under stress. When the creation is picked up, it changes.
Your kids are going to love exploring with this. My only tip is to put a table cloth down, because it can get a bit messy when kids really get in there and start playing!
Valentines Day Worksheets
Looking for more way to make learning fun during February? Kids will LOVE these Valentine’s Day themed, educational activities. Plus, all of these are free printables.
- These Valentine’s day worksheets allow preschoolers to practice math and literacy with super cute printables that are NO PREP!
- Color by Letter to decorate these cookies with these fun Valentine Worksheets for Preschool
- Make your own Alphabet Book from A to Z with these Valentine’s Day Worksheets to color, read, and learn
- ABC Hole Punching for Valentines Day – preschoolers will have fun working on letter recognition as they use a hole punch with this free printable for February.
- Alpahbet Valentines – kids will have fun preparing Valentines with this fun activity that works on beginning sounds, tracing letters, and matching uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Rhyming Valentines cut and paste printables – these heart workshets are a fun way for kids to practice identifying rhyming words
- Valentines Day Math Clip Cards – practice counting numbers 11-20 with these cute, low prep clip cards
- Our kids favorite tradition! Print out these Valentines Day Printables and leave love notes for each other to read on February 14th!
- Pencil Valentine Printable – super cute free printable “looking sharp” Valentine for kids
- Sneak in some fun writing practice with these Febraury Writing Prompts Calendar
- Practice spelling with this fun, engaging and FREE Printable Valentine’s Day Spelling Activity
- Valentines Day I Spy Printable – this is a fun valentiens day activity that also works on counting and visual discrimination at the same time
- Practice sounding out and spelling short i words with this Heart themed spelling mats.
- Valentine’s Day ABC Hole PunchingActivity – kids will strengthen hand muscles while working on letter recognition
- Valentine sight word coloring pages – kids will have fun reading and gaining fluency with key sight words while revealing these mystery pictures
- A-Z Valentine’s Day Worksheets is fun for kids to practice making capital letters using conversation hearts!
- Practice forming simple words with this Kindergarten Valentines Day CVC word mats
- Make practicing preschool sight words fun with this Chocolate Box Valentine Activities for Preschoolers
- Count to 20 with these cute Valentine Math Clip Cards
- Practice counting to 10 with this Valentine Math Puzzles for pre-k
- Valentines Day Color by Number – students will reveal hidden pictures as they color by number and work on number recognition
- Free Valentine’s Day Tracing Worksheets for Preschoolers – kids will have fun working on hand muscles as they trace these common February items in these tracing worksheets.
- February Color by Number – work on number recognition as students reveal mystery pictures as they color.
- Count and Trace Valentines Day Worksheets with conversation hearts
- FUN, Self-checing Multiplication Valentine Math Activity for Kids
- Work on fractions, percent, and measurement with these Valentine Math Worksheets
- Color by Hundreds Chart Happy valentine’s day mouse activities
- Handy Valentines Day themed Odd and Even Numbers Worksheets
- Valentines Day Number Book – kids will have fun practicing counting with conversation hears as they make a free printable book.
- Kids will have fun practicing addition and subtraction with this clever,Valentine’s day math craft.
- Help kids work on symmetry for kids with these Valentine’s Day Worksheets
- Free Valentine’s day math worksheets – kindergartners will have fun practicing numbers to 100 while they reveal hidden images with these Valentines Day coloring pages
- Use snap cubes with this free printable Valentine Math activity for kindergarten and first graders
- Fun Lock and Key Color Matching Game for toddlers and preschoolers
- Work on making common shapes with these super cute Chocolate Shape Playdough Mats
- Love Potion – Valentines Day Science
- Tic-Tac-Toe Printable Valentine Cards
- Conversation Heart Ooblek – FUN Valentines Day Activity for Kids
- Salt Painting Valentines Day Activity
- EASY Skittles Valentines Day Science Activities
- Happy Slime-tines – Free Printable Valentines Day Cards
- EASY Static Electricity Balloon Experiment
- Practice shapes with this hands-on Valentines Day STEM Activities
- Fizzy Heart Science Project – Valentines Day Activities for Kids
- Add some Valentines Day Science with this super cool and EASY Dancing Hearts Experiment
- Try these FUN Valentine Science Experiments for kids of all ages
- Salt crystal hearts Science Experiment perfect for February
- Plus don’t miss these fun Valentines Books to cuddle up and read this February
- Heart Fish Craft for Valentines Day – kids will have fun cutting and pasting lots of hearts to make this adorable fish craft
- Fingerprint Hearth Tree Valentines Day Craft is super cute and such a precious keepsake craft
- Bear treat cup Valentines Day Craft is cute and practical too
- Red Hot Valentines Slime is so pretty and fun to play with!
- Try this EASY Chocolate playdough recipe to make your creations look like valentines day candy!
- Beautiful Valentines Art Projects – Matisse Style heart craft for kids
- Cactus valentine craft – this is such a fun cut and paste Valentines Day Craft for kids
- 30 February Crafts for Kids – so many fun, clever crafts to fill the whole month of February
- Don’t miss these fun February activities for kids