Whip up a batch of this pumpkin playdough to use as a book activity with Spookley the Square Pumpkin! Children can use the pumpkin pie playdough to form different shapes for a fun halloween activity for preschool, toddler, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders. These pumpkin activities are a great extension activity for our favorite Octoober book for kids.
Whether you whip up a batch of this quick and easy pumpkin playdough to make pumpkins or cute Jack-o-Lanterns, this pumpkin activity is sure to delight! We used our halloween playdough for a fun spookley the square pumpkin craft of sorts practicing making various pumpkin shapes. This shape activity was a great math activity for October. But you can youse your play doh for a variety of halloween activities with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students too.
Pumpkin Playdough Recipe
All you need to whip up a bath of this pumpkin play dough are a few simple materials you probably already have on hand in your kitchen:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons cream of tartar
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- bright orange food coloring
Pumpkin Pie Playdough
Mix together the flour, salt, cream of tartar and pumpkin pie spice in a saucepan. Slowly stir in the oil and water. Add a few drops of orange food coloring. Heat on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring constantly, until dough becomes a stiff playdough consistency. Remove from heat and scoop onto parchment paper orwax paper. Allow 15-20 minutes to cool before playing as the dough will be very hot!
Spookley the square pumpkin craft
Playing with playdough is a great way to strengthen hand muscles so kids are ready for writing numbers and letters! So this is not only a fun activity for October, but an educational activity too!
Pumpkin Activities for Preschoolers
We started by just having fun rolling, squishing, and cutting out the playdough.
Halloween Activities for Preschoolers
Then of course you have to make some cute Jack-o-Lanterns out of your playdough as well. We used silly googly eyes and craft foam which holds up in playdough bettern than construction paper.
Spookley the square pumpkin activity
If you haven’t seen Spookley the Square Pumpkin book before, you really need to check out this super cute book. It not only teaches about shapes and is a fun book for Octoboer, but it touches on how we are all different and yet important and special. My kids pick this book up to read all year long.
So of course we had to make a Spookley pumpkin too. This makes a great book extension activity!
We continues on with the shape theme to make diffferent shapes out of our homemade playdough. The kids used our shape flashcards as a guide to form the shapes. Then of course we had to turn them into cute pumpkins just like our Spookley book by adding googly eyes and craft foam nose and mouth pieces we cut out with scissors.
Pumpkin Activities for Toddlers
The kids had a blast practicing making shapes and then creating unique fun, silly, and spooky Jack-o-Lanterns out of playdough.
I love combining play with learning! So this activity that combines a book activity, shape math activity for October, and a lesson on how we are all different but special was a hole-in-one in my book!
You could also use this activity to talk about feelings by making the shape Jack-o-lanterns happy, sad, silly, scarry, etc.
- Hole Punching Pumpkin Craft for Preschoolers
- 100 Pumpkin Crafts for First Grade
- Printable Hats make cute Fall Crafts for preschoolers – so many choices
- Beautiful Cardboard Tube Stamped Fall Tree Craft
- Cute Corn Wreath Craft for Kids
- Fun-to-Make Yarn Pumpkins Craft for Kids
- Paint Swatch Pumpkin Craft for Preschoolers
- Scented Pumpkin Puffy Paint Craft for Fall
- Halloween Jack-o-Lantern Craft for kids
- Silly Spider Name Craft Activity for Preschoolers with FREE Printable
- 31 October Crafts for Kids
- Turkey Pumpkin Seed Craft
- Gummy Worm Slime
- Octoboer Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun pumpkin activity and craft ideas to try this autumn? Check out these fun ideas:
- Create a Jack-o-Lantern with this amazing Scented Rice Pumpkin Activity
- 50 fun Pumpkin Activities
- Edible Peep Pumpkin Playdough
- Pumpkin Goop with real pumpkin guts!
- Rubberband Pumpkin Craft for kids
- EASY, Edible Pumpkin Cloud Dough
- Edible candy corn playdough recipe you MUST try!
- Amazing Spider SLime
Halloween Science Experiments
- Flying Film Canister Ghost Rockets
- Frankenstein’s Hand Halloween Science Experiment
- Quickly Growing Pumpkin Science Experiment
- This Why Do Leaves Change Color experiment is one of our favorite that is so simple and yet so clever!
- Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Volcano Halloween Science Experiments
- Errupting Halloween Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiments
- Not-so-Spooky Halloween Ghost Science Experiment
- Exploding Pumpkin Science Experiment for October
- Dissolving Candy Halloween Science Experiments
- Frankenworms Halloween Science Experiment
- Melting Pumpkins Science Experiment for October
- EASY Static Electricity Ghost Experiment
- Halloween Lava Lamp Science Experiment
October Science Printables
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheets pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Bat Life Cycle Worksheets
- Free Spider Life Cycle Worksheets
- Worm Worksheets – practice math, alphabet, literacy, and more!
- Growing Worms Observation Book
- All About Worms Worksheets
- Work on number bonds to 10 with these pumpkin math worksheets for kindergarten and grade 1
- Super cute pumpkin counting activity piling the “whip cream” on the pie slice
- Work on 0ne-to-one correspondence with this pumpkin math for Kindergarten
- Grab these Pumpkin Addition Worksheets for a no prep math activity for young learners
- Practicing Counting with Pumpkin Seed Counting Activity
- Practice making shapes with these pumpkin shapes printable playdough mats
- Pumpkin Pie Number Sense pumpkin activity for preschoolers
- Work on counting, adding on, and using a number line with this pumpkin counting activity
- Hands on Pumpkin Shape Matching Games for Preshoolers
- Trace numbers and work on 1:1 correspondence with this pumpkin math activity for pre-k
- Adorable Pumpkin preschool pie craft for practicing counting!
- Pumpkin Shapes Printable game for kids
- Trace and Erase to practice again with this handy Pumpkin Printable Letter Tracing strips
- Practice sight words with this fun Pumpkin Game
- This find the letter pumpkin worksheets for preschool
- Kids will love this phonics Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten where they will work on beginning sounds to put together these alphabet puzzles.
- Pumpkin Letters for tracing alphabet with a dry erase marker or playdough
- Practice reading with these cute, clever and FREE Word Family Sliders Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten
- Improve reading with this fun Word Family Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten
- These super cute Pumpkin Letters and sounds puzzles allow children to practice letter tracing as well as working on beginning sounds
- Sneak in some fun practice with these homophone puzzle pumpkin activities
- You’ll love these no-prep Pumpkin Worksheets where students will color by vowels
- These Pumpkin worksheets and printable activities work on rhyming skills to improve reading and spelling
- Find the Letter Alphabet Pumpkin Worksheets
- Printable October Writing Prompts
Candy Corn Activities
Looking for more candy corn activities for kids? You will love all these creative ideas!
- Free Candy Corn Words
- Candy Corn Edible Playdough
- Addition and Subtraction Candy Corn Math
- Phonics Puzzles with a fun Candy Corn Theme for Fall
- 28 Candy Corn Activities for Kids
- EPIC Candy Corn Popsicle Stick Catapults
- Candy Corn Multiplication and Division Puzzles
- Counting Candy Corn Puzzles
- Candy Corn Turkey Count and Trace
- Free Printable Candy Corn Alphabet Mats