Make learning fun with this whimsical Unicorn Short Vowels Activity perfect for prek and kindergarten age kids.
- Unicorn B & D Maze Worksheets
- Hungry Unicorn Subtraction Sensory Bag
- While not a printable, kids will love this Unicorn Puffy Slime
- Unicorn Writing Prompts
Short Vowels Activity
Preschool kids will LOVE this CVC center! Kids will choose a card and find the matching short vowel sound and place that card into the correct square on the mat. Print the CVC unicorn mat and the cards on cardstock, laminate and cut up the cards and you’re set to go!
Print as many mats as you need for the number of students in your class – the same goes for the CVC cards. Be sure to have enough of those cards for your CVC matching center. You could also choose to print the cards two times to create a memory game (shared below).
Short Vowel CVC Words
I LOVE using learning mats – they are so much fun for kids and best of all, they are quick to setup and play! Use these mats to help kids learn to read and identify rhyming and CVC short vowel words. We know that with learning, repetition and practice is key. Kids will be motivated to find and match their CVC words short vowel sounds. After you’ve printed and laminated the cards and the mats, cut the CVC word cards. Place the unicorn mat on the table and show the kids what they need to do. They choose a card and place that card on the mat, they then find a short vowel match and place that card onto the mat. They continue to do so until they have found all the matches for that card. Or they can choose to sort the CVC vowels as they read and place the cards onto each square. Encourage them to say the word on the card as they look for the matching square rainbow.
Another way you can use these cards is to play a memory game with them. Lay the cards out onto the table and have the kids uncover a card, say the name of the word on the card and then uncover another. Say the name and if it doesn’t match, to place it back uncovered. They continue this until they find the matches to all the cards.
Looking for more practice with short vowels? Try these fun, hands on and FREE printable activites:
- Short Vowel Sounds Worksheets
- Valentines Day Short I Words Mat
- Clip Cards to practice middle short vowel sounds
- CVC Words Short A Book – cut, paste, color, and read
- SHort Vowel CVC Word Puzzles
- Long and Short Vowel Worksheets
- Short Vowel Board Game
- Catperilla CVC Words
Download Unicorn Short Vowel Sorting
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to download their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!