Make learning about short vowels and the sounds they make fun with this whimsical Unicorn Vowels Activity. This unicorn printables is a fun literacy activity soring short vowel sounds with pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students. Use this vowel activities to listen for short a, short e, short i, short o, and short u sound in simple cvc words. Simply download pdf file with short vowel activities and you are ready to play and learn!
Preschool kids will LOVE this CVC center! Kids will choose a card and find the matching short vowel sound and place that card into the correct square on the mat. Print the CVC unicorn mat and the cards on cardstock, laminate and cut up the cards and you’re set to go!
Print as many mats as you need for the number of students in your class – the same goes for the CVC cards. Be sure to have enough of those cards for your CVC matching center. You could also choose to print the cards two times to create a memory game (shared below).
I LOVE using learning mats – they are so much fun for kids and best of all, they are quick to setup and play! Use these mats to help kids learn to read and identify rhyming and CVC short vowel words. We know that with learning, repetition and practice is key. Kids will be motivated to find and match their CVC words short vowel sounds. After you’ve printed and laminated the cards and the mats, cut the CVC word cards. Place the unicorn mat on the table and show the kids what they need to do. They choose a card and place that card on the mat, they then find a short vowel match and place that card onto the mat. They continue to do so until they have found all the matches for that card. Or they can choose to sort the CVC vowels as they read and place the cards onto each square. Encourage them to say the word on the card as they look for the matching square rainbow.
Short vowel activities
Another way you can use these cards is to play a memory game with them. Lay the cards out onto the table and have the kids uncover a card, say the name of the word on the card and then uncover another. Say the name and if it doesn’t match, to place it back uncovered. They continue this until they find the matches to all the cards.
FREE CVC Words Printables
Looking for more cvc words worksheets and cvc word printable activities to maker learning fun? Check out these ideas and resources:
- Crack the Code CVC Word Worksheets
- Short o Words cvc Cut and paste Printable
- Short i cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf
- Short E CVC Words Booklet
- Short a CVC Word Book
- CVC Words Activity with bricks
- 25 Fun CVC Activities
- CVC Middle Sounds Clip Cards
- CVC Word Puzzles Free Printable
- Crack the Code CVC Words Printable
- Crayon CVC Words Activity
- Unicorn B & D Maze Worksheets
- Hungry Unicorn Subtraction Sensory Bag
- While not a printable, kids will love this Unicorn Puffy Slime
- Unicorn Writing Prompts
Download Unicorn Short Vowel Sorting
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to download their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!