If you are looking for a fun holiday activity that combines Christmas science and a beautiful preschool christmas craft, you will love this fun project! In this Christmas science activities children will learn about chromatography using a coffee filter to create stunning ornaents to hand on a christmas tree craft for preschoolers.
Christmas science activities for preschoolers
I just love it when a project combines lots of parts that are simple, but add to the WOW factor. In this pre-k Christmas craft your child will use Christmas science activities for preschoolers to make the coffee filter chromatography ornaments and then combine it into a beautiful christmas tree craft. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this hands-on december activities for kids from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students too.
- black or green, yellow constructin paper
- green puffy paint (or use our DIY foam paint recipe)
- coffee filters
- Mr Sketch markers (other washable markers work, but these are our favorite!)
- cup with warm water
Coffee filter chromatography
Start out by learning about chromatography for kids with a simple demonstartion. Use your water based markers to make a dramatic circle in the middle of the coffee filter. Repeat with different colors on different coffee filters. Now fold the coffe filters in half, then half again to make a wedge shape.
HINT: If you put too much in the color will just move to the water. You want the water to be absorbed by the coffee filter.
Christmas Science Experiment
The warm water will cause the molecules to move more quickly and they spread out saturating the coffee filter. As they move, they will bring the color with them and you will see the color of the marker sperate out into the different colors and shades of colors that go into making that exact colored marker.
Christmas tree craft for preschoolers
Once the color has moved to the top edge, remove the coffee filters from the water, open up, and set out to dry. I set them on a cookie sheet to dry to ensure no color got on any surface.
Christmas craft for preschoolers
While my coffee filters were drying, I started on the tree. Make an outline of a tree with green puffy paint on a piece of green or black construction paper. I like the dramatic look of the green on black, but do whatever you like! THe puffy paint also gives it a little extra rise. Let the puffy paint dry.
Pre-k christmas craft
Now start cutting out different ornament shapes and sizes from your pretty, chromatography colored coffee filters.
Preschool christmas craft
Begin gluing the various ornaments witin the boundary of the puffy paint tree you created.
Continue until you have as many oranaments on the tree as yo like. We also added a simple yellow construction paper star at the top. You can personalize it however you like.
HINT: You can add garland or lights with various colors of puffy paint if you like.
Christmas Tree Craft for Kids
This is such a fun project that is both quick and easy, but still has a lot of character and steps to create a truly stunning Christmas tree craft for kids!
Christmas Science Experiments for Kids
Looking for more fun Christmas science ideas? Check these out!
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- Magic Melting Peppermint Candy Christmas Science Experiment
- Fizzy Gingerbread Man Christmas Science Experiment
- Lots of Christmas Science Experiments Kids will love!
- Beautiful Borax Crystal Christmas Tree Science Experiment
- Melting Christmas Tree Science Experiment for December
- Rudolph Christmas Science Experiments
- Christmas Magic Milk Experiment
- Gumdrops Ornaments Made with Christmas Science Experiment
- Gingerbread Puffy Paint Recipe
- Christmas Fluffy Slime Recipe
- Easy Candy Cane Science Experiment
- Simple Oil and Water Christmas Science Experiment
- Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Snow Volcano Science Experiment
Preschool Winter Activities
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- FUN Snowman Launcher – Winter Activities for Preschoolers
- Christmas Science Experiments Dissolving Peeps Activities
- Construction Paper Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids this Winter
Preschool Christmas Crafts
- Gingerbread Alphabet Tracing – Christmas Activity for Preschoolers
- HOliday Gingerbread Sight Words – Christmas Activities for Kindergarteners
- How Do you Make EASY Snow Clay for Christmas Ornament Crafts
- Easy Snowman Paper Craft
- Beautiful Chromatography Christmas Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Christmas Science Lime Battery Electricity Experiment for Preschoolers
- Bauble Christmas Ornament Craft with FREE Printables
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- Homemade Christmas Cards Ideas for Kids
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Construction Paper Christmas Wreath Craft Decoration for Kids
- Christmas Candle Craft for Kindergarten
- December Holiday Coloring Pages for Kids
- Christmas Name Craft and Activity for Preschoolers
- Christmas I Spy Printable Worksheets
- FREE Christmas Scavenger Hunt Game for Kids
- Christmas Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Easy-to-Make Hat Christmas Craft for Kids
- Fun to make Christmas Playdough Mats
- These Christmas sight Word Games help kids work on reading fluency.
- Kids will have fun practicing patterns with this Free Christmas Patterns Activity
- Help kids work on color recognition with these Stockings Christmas Color Game
- Practice Counting to 20 with these Christmas Tree Playdough Mats
Don’t miss these free alphabet printables for making learning your ABCs fun and engaging! We also have lots of free preschool math, preschool crafts, books for preschoolers, and playdough mats. Plus we have lots of clever ideas in our preschool themes with a full weeks worth of educational activities.