This fun and simple apple science is a fun project for an apple theme, hands-on apple activity, September, or as a ten apples up on top activities. This apple experiment is quick and easy, but a great way to teach kids about simple chemical reactions with a backing soda and vinegar experiment. Try this apple science experiment with toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders as apple activities that help get kids excited about learning science and exploring the world around them!
I love simple projects that help kids learn! This apple science doubles as both a fun fall science experiment and fun activities for September. In this apple experiment preschoolers, toddlers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students will create a simple chemical reaction with vinegar and baking soda that will cause a fun erruption. Whether you are using this for an apple theme preschool or a hands-on ten apples up on top activity– this is sure to grab kids attention and help them to want to learn!
To try this simple apple activity you will need a few common materials you probably already have on hand at home:
- playdough – red, yellow, and green
- clean empty plastic water bottle
- green pipe cleaner to make stems / leaves
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 cup of distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dish soap
- food coloring
- funnel (optional, but helpful)
Apple Science Experiment
Start by putting red playdough around the bottle.
Flatten out a band of yellow playdough and wrap it around the empty bottle just under the red playdough.
Finally, wrap a strip of green playdough around the bottom including the bottom of the bottle for stability. Your layers should be pressed up against each other like apples stacked up with just the bottle opening showing at the top.
Apple Theme Preschool
Carefully cut green chenille sticks in half and bend to make them look like leaves. Press into the top of each layer of playdough so it looks like the leaves on each apple.
Now you have a red delicious apple on top of a gold delicious yellow apple, sitting on a granny smith green apple. Stand it up on a dish or piec plate with a lip.
Activities for September
Now comes the frun science part! Put the baking soda, and dish soap in the bottle with the help of a funnel. Add food coloring if you want.
Pour in the vinegar and step back as the erruption is about to happen to the 3 apples stacked up!
Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
As the bicarbonate soda and vinegar combine they will create a chemical reaction that will produce carbon dioxide (gas) which mixed with the dish soap will bubble. The gas will push the liquid and bubbles up and out of the bottle.
Apple Activities for Preschoolers
THis is such a fun, simple way for kids to learn about chemical reactions or states of matter for kids while having fun with an apple activity. As you can see, we forgot to add the food coloring until it had already started errupting. No worries just squeeze some in and you will still get to enjoy the color and depending on when you add it maybe some cool patterns in the apple volcano erruption!
Ten Apples Up on Top Activities
THis is a great book activity for this Ten Apples UP on Top, a classic Dr Seuss book for kids.
- Red Apple Pie Slime Activities for Preschoolers
- Green Laffy Taffy Apple Slime
- Skittles Apple Science Experiment for Kids
- Melting Apple Science Experiment for September
- Simple Apple Science Experiment and Activity for September
- Scented Apple Playdough Recipe
- Green Laffy Taffy Apple Slime
- Yellow Fluffy Apple SLime
- Super Soft, No-Cook Apple Playdough for Fall
- Apple Volcano Experiment and Activity for Kids in September
- Apple Browning Experiment with FREE Oxidation Worksheet
Apple Crafts for Kids
- Cute Apple Handprint Craft for Kids – w/ free printable
- Easy Apple Core and torn paper Paper Plate Apple Craft
- Alphabet Lacing Apple Craft
- Clever Bubble Wrap Apple Craft
- Coffee Filter Apple Craft
- Awesome Apple Pie Playdough Recipe
- 3-in-1 Apple Activities for Toddlers
- Printable Apple Tray Counting and Writing
- Plus don’t miss this FUN Apple Crafts Preschool
- Stunning, Easy Apple Craft for Preschoolers and Kids
- Fun Paper Plate Apple Craft for kids
Looking for more fun apple and activities and free apple printables? You will love these apple activities for kindergarten and apple activities for preschoolers!
- Math Apple Worksheets (addition / subtraction)
- Super cute and FREE Apple Apple Worksheets Preschool
- Apple Roll and Cover Dice Game
- Printable Apple Math – Number Bonds Activity
- Hole-Punching, Count to 20 Apple Activities for Preschoolers – free printable
- Super cute Apple Playdough Mats to practice counting
- Apple Addition Coloring Worksheets
- Number Bonds Apple Math
- Apple Counting Worksheet
- Free Printable Multiplication Games
- Letter A Worksheets, printables, and games for kids
- Apple Themed Free Alpahbet Strip pdf Activity
- Alphbet Puzzles – Apple Activities for Preschoolers
- Hands-on Apple Sight Words Tree
- Synonyms and Antonyms Worksheets pdf with a fun Apple theme
- Apple Letter A Activity sorting upper and lowercase letters for pre-k and kindergarten
- Printable Apple Compound Words Worksheet
- Find the Letter Apple Tracing Worksheets
- A is for Apple Printable Book for working on beginning sounds – print in black and white or color
- Color the correct apples in these Nouns and Verbs Worksheets
- Apple Theme BUNDLE