This fun and simple apple science is a fun project for an apple theme, hands-on apple activity, September, or as a ten apples up on top activities. This apple experiment is quick and easy, but a great way to teach kids about simple chemical reactions with a backing soda and vinegar experiment. Try this apple science experiment with toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders as apple activities that help get kids excited about learning science and exploring the world around them!
I love simple projects that help kids learn! This apple science doubles as both a fun fall science experiment and fun activities for September. In this apple experiment preschoolers, toddlers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students will create a simple chemical reaction with vinegar and baking soda that will cause a fun erruption. Whether you are using this for an apple theme preschool or a hands-on ten apples up on top activity– this is sure to grab kids attention and help them to want to learn!
To try this simple apple activity you will need a few common materials you probably already have on hand at home:
- playdough – red, yellow, and green
- clean empty plastic water bottle
- green pipe cleaner to make stems / leaves
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 cup of distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dish soap
- food coloring
- funnel (optional, but helpful)
Apple Science Experiment
Start by putting red playdough around the bottle.
Flatten out a band of yellow playdough and wrap it around the empty bottle just under the red playdough.
Finally, wrap a strip of green playdough around the bottom including the bottom of the bottle for stability. Your layers should be pressed up against each other like apples stacked up with just the bottle opening showing at the top.
Apple Theme Preschool
Carefully cut green chenille sticks in half and bend to make them look like leaves. Press into the top of each layer of playdough so it looks like the leaves on each apple.
Now you have a red delicious apple on top of a gold delicious yellow apple, sitting on a granny smith green apple. Stand it up on a dish or piec plate with a lip.
Activities for September
Now comes the frun science part! Put the baking soda, and dish soap in the bottle with the help of a funnel. Add food coloring if you want.
Pour in the vinegar and step back as the erruption is about to happen to the 3 apples stacked up!
Baking Soda and Vinegar Experiment
As the bicarbonate soda and vinegar combine they will create a chemical reaction that will produce carbon dioxide (gas) which mixed with the dish soap will bubble. The gas will push the liquid and bubbles up and out of the bottle.
Apple Activities for Preschoolers
THis is such a fun, simple way for kids to learn about chemical reactions or states of matter for kids while having fun with an apple activity. As you can see, we forgot to add the food coloring until it had already started errupting. No worries just squeeze some in and you will still get to enjoy the color and depending on when you add it maybe some cool patterns in the apple volcano erruption!
Ten Apples Up on Top Activities
THis is a great book activity for this Ten Apples UP on Top, a classic Dr Seuss book for kids.
- FREE Apple Prek Worksheets or apple worksheets preschool
- Apple Recipes for Kids, plus how to make homemade applesauce and yummy best apple recipes
- ACTIVITIES – scented apple pie playdough, super soft apple playdough recipe no cook, apple pie playdough, fun apple pie slime, fluffy apple slime (yellow), laffy taffy apple slime (green), and September activities for kids
- ALPHABET – letter recognition apple activity, apple letter tracing worksheets, Apple ABC Game, a is for apple printable letter sounds apple book, a is for apple tracing worksheet, a is for apple printable alphabet mats, sticker a for apple activity,
- LANGUAGE ARTS – alphabet apple lacing craft, apple pre-k sight words tracing strips, apple sight words printable activity, synonym and antonym worksheets, apple compounds words worksheet grade 1, apple noun and verb sort, and free September writing prompts
- SCIENCE – errupting apple science expeirment, free apple investigation worksheet, apple life cycle printable spinner, apple volcano, apple browning experiment with free worksheet, apple life cycle printable pages, skittle apple science experiment, melting apple science experiment, apple stem activity
- COUNTING – apple count to 20 free printable hole punch activities, apple i spy printables for preschoolers, count to 20 apple playdough mats, hole punch apple counting, apple counting coloring pages, apple counting spin and count on ten frame, apple counting worksheet, free apple counting worksheets, apple counting worksheet, apple seed counting to 20 activity, and count to 20 apple playdough mats, apple roll and cover number sense game
- MATH – hands-on apple number bonds activity, math worksheets for kindergarten, adding within 10 apple math, apple multiplication game, apple fractions game, fall unifix cube pattern cards, and sticker addition worksheets
- CRAFTS – cute apple handprint craft, parts of an apple craft, bubble wrap apple craft, Johnny appleseed addition coloring worksheets, lacing paper plate apple craft, stunning apple art preschool, paper plate apple core craft, and September crafts
- Check out these apple books for preschoolers, free apple worksheets preschool, how to make an apple pie and see the world activity, fun Johnny Appleseed activities, free Johnny Appleseed coloring pages, or our apple theme preschool
Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Learn about types of rocks with these Edible sedimentary rocks or playdough teeth activity
- Combine science and art with this exploding art project or frozen erruptions rainbow activities
- Clever paper plate magnet maze, find out how to make a magentic wand, or Magnet Experiments for Kids
- Simple balloon rocket experiment for preschool or
- Learn about bees and pollination with this easy jello pollination experiment
- 100 Clever baking soda and vinegar experiments plus this plant science activities for preschoolers
- Science Books for Preschoolers or rain cloud in a jar experiment worksheets
- Learn about life cycles for kids like this ladybug life cycle for kids printable set
- 100 Amazing Food Experiments for kids or egg in vinegar experiment worksheet
- Printables – free Constellation printables pdf, free women inventors for kids reader, printable baby animal puzzles, ABC free insect printables for preschoolers, printable farm animals and their homes worksheets, do-a-dot marker landforms for kids worksheet pages, apple life cycle printable spinner, free ocean coloring pages
- Fall – simple apple science experiment, free apple experiment worksheets, easy pumpkin skittles experiment, jack-o-lantern pumpkin volcano, silly frankenworm halloween science experiments, ghost static electricity experiments for kids, easy exploding pumpkin experiment, melting pumpkin science experiments, quick turkey science experiment, simple the great turkey race activities
- Winter – beautiful christmas chromatography, cute lime battery project, peep christmas tree science activities for preschoolers, easy christmas science experiments, melting magic snowballs with science, exploding snowman activity, snow volcano, Valentines Day love potion science experiment, February 14th oobleck recipe
- Spring – st patrick’s day science preschool, toilet paper roll bird feeder, pretty rainbow in a jar density project, capillary action experiment with walking water, changing colors with science flower activities
- Summer – sand volcano experiment, sandastle summer experient, simple blooming flower experiment explanation and directions, grown your own crystal flower science activities for preschoolers, beautiful fireworks in a jar worksheet, easy Watermelon Volcano, skittle red white and blue science experiments, fun 4th of july science experiments, colorful lemon volcano experiment