25+ Community Helper Books for Preschoolers
If you are looking for some fun-to-read community helper books preschool, you will love this list! We have found community helper books about doctors, nurses, fire fighters, ambulance drivers, construction workers, vets, postal workers, librarians, garbage collectors, teachers, and more! You will love reading these community helper books for preschoolers, toddlers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and up!
Community Helper Books for Preschoolers
Introducing kids to the helpers in their neighborhood is a good way to teach them about their communities. This list of community helper books for preschoolers is full of fun and informational stories about people who fulfill important roles in the community. This list of community helper books preschool, pre-k, toddler, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders is perfect for your upcoming community helpers theme or to cuddle up and read at night!
Community helper books preschool
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love having this list of books to read! Each suggestion includes the book cover, name, author, brief description about the book, and link where you can find it.
National Geographic Readers: Helpers in Your Neighborhood by Shira Evans is a nonfiction book that introduces young readers to important roles in the community. It uses simple text and colorful photographs to show kids how they can see community helpers all around them.
Whose Hands are These? A Community Helper Guessing Book by Miranda Paul Luciana Navarro Powell is a fun guessing game that shows readers how different community helpers use their hands. The rhyming text is paired with detailed illustrations that zoom in on the hands of community helpers doing their jobs.
My 1st Book of Community Superheroes by Sara Kale is an easy introduction of community helpers for young readers. The simple illustrations and easy to read text celebrate all the things that community helpers do to help those around them.
Clothesline Clues to Jobs People Do by Kathryn Heling and Deborah Hembrook and Andy Robert Davies shares the clothing items worn by different community helpers and gives readers a chance to guess the job. Kids will love parsing the rhyming text and cute illustrations for clues to each person’s job.
Hello! Hometown Heroes by Toni Armier and Anna Jones follows a little boy and his mother as they walk around the neighborhood with their dog, greeting the community helpers that they meet. Kids will love the adorable cartoon illustrations and the sweet story of the mother and son exploring their neighborhood.
Look for the Helpers by Alexandra Cassel and Jason Fruchter joins the beloved Daniel Tiger as he learns to look for the helpers in his neighborhood after he gets scared by a storm. The sweet story is paired with colorful illustrations featuring the cute tiger and his friends.
Community Helper Books
Biscuit Visits the Doctor by Alyssa Satin Capucilli and Pat Schories follows Biscuit the puppy and his little girl as they visit a veterinarian’s office. The simple text and sweet illustrations introduce little kids to veterinarians and takes some fear out of visiting the doctor.
Here Come the Helpers by Leslie Kimmelman and Barbara Bakos is a sweet little book that uses simple text and cute animal characters to introduces little ones to helpers in the community. The captioned illustrations share the names of various helpers shown in the images.
The Helpers in Your Neighborhood by Alexandra Cassel and Jason Fruchter is a fun introduction to community helpers that brings Daniel Tiger into the real world. Kids will love exploring community helpers through the illustrations of Daniel Tiger and his father placed n real world photographs.
Pete the Cat: Firefighter Pete by James Dean and Kimberly Dean follows Pete the cool cat as he joins his classmates on a field trip to the firehouse and teaches young readers about the important work that firefighters do.
Delivering Your Mail by Ann Owen and Eric Thomas shares the important work that mail carriers do, and how they help the community. The simple text and illustrations will engage very young readers.
Community helpers read aloud
I Want to Be a Doctor by Laura Driscoll and Catalina Echeverri is a leveled reader that follows a young girl and her family as they go to a hospital to take care of her little brother. As she learns about the important work that doctors do, she decides she wants to be one too.
Keeping You Safe: A Book about Police Officers by Ann Owen and Eric Thomas share the important work that police officers do in the community. The simple text and illustrations introduce these helpers in a manner that young kids can understand.
Big Frank’s Fire Truck by Leslie McGuire and Joe Mathieu explores the important work of firefighters by following Big Frank through a day at work. The longer story and detailed illustrations make this a great read aloud.
Police: Hurrying! Helping! Saving! by Patricia Hubbell and Viviana Garofoli is a rhyming book that introduces the work of police officers. The brightly colored illustrations and peppy text make this a fun one to read out loud.
Community helpers books for kindergarten
Show Me Community Helpers by Clint Edwards is a nonfiction guide to community helpers. The colorful photographs, fun fonts, and easy to understand text makes this a great way to introduce community helpers to little ones.
Whose Tools are These? by Sharon Katz Cooper and Amy Bailey Muehlenhardt encourages kids to guess the community helper based on the tools that they use. The illustrations focus in on each helper’s hands and tools, giving kids clues to the job in question.
Firefighter Frank by Monica Wellington is a brightly colored introduction to firefighters. The simple text and cartoon illustrations are engaging for young readers, and the borders are full of tools and signs utilized by firefighters.
Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathman follows Officer Buckle the policeman as he shares safety tips with young kids. But only when he starts bringing his dog Gloria does everyone start listening.
The Jolly Postman by Janet and Allan Ahlberg is a fun and engaging book that celebrates mail and the work of mail carriers as it follows a postman handling letters from fairy tale characters. Kids will love the twist on their favorite fairy tales.
The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor by Stan & Jan Berenstain joins the beloved bear family as they visit the doctor for their checkups. The story shares the familiar steps of getting a check up and the important work that doctors do for us.
Miss Dorothy and her Bookmobile by Gloria Houston shares an inspiring story about a dedicated librarian delivering books in her car to those who wish to read. This is a great celebration of dedicated librarians and what they bring to the community.
Madeline Finn and the Library Dog by Lisa Papp tells a sweet story of a young girl who is trying to learn to read, and the librarian and library dog who help her. Kids will love the adorable story and cute illustrations of the library dogs.
Just Going to the Dentist by Mercer Mayer joins Little Critter as he goes to the dentist for a check up. The simple text explores the many ways that dentist’s help the community, and takes some fear out of visiting the dentist.
Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman follows a trash collector named Mr. Gilly as he goes about his day. The simple text and illustrations share how trash collectors keep their communities clean.
Community Helpers Activities
- Community Helpers Crafts, Activities, Projects, Science Activities, and more
- Free Community Helpers Coloring Pages – over 20 simple coloring pages exploring jobs
- Community Helpers Worksheets for Kids
- Printable Community Helper Writing Prompt Worksheets
- Doctor Pretend Play Printables
- Free Printables for Zoo Dramatic Play
- Community Helpers Printables Wheel
- Handy Community Signs Worksheets
- HUGE Pack of Firefighter Worksheet to practice a variety of skills with kids 3-8
- Free Printable Community Helpers Matching Game
- Doctor Worksheets for kids to learn about hospital workers while practicing math and literacy skills
- Hands-on Community Helpers STEM Activities
- See lots of community helpers preschool theme ideas
- Construction Activities and Printables for Kids
- Farm Activities and Printables for Kids
- Where do I Live – free printable project and fun idea for explaining how you live in a house, on a block, in a city, in a state, etc.
- All About Me Kindergarten (Expanding horizons social studies unit to teach kids about themselves, My Family, My Neighborhood, My Community Unit with lots of ideas & resources
- Lego All About Me Worksheet
Books for Preschoolers
If you are looking for more fun-to-read preschool book lists with picture books picked out for your preschoolers, don’t miss these great picks:
- Construction Books for Preschoolers
- Help kids learn their ABCs with these alphabet books for preschoolers that also help kids start learning the sounds letters make
- Counting Books for Preschoolers work on number recognition and real-life counting applications
- 100th Day fo School Books for kids
- Best Snowman Books for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners
- Fun-to-Read Penguin Books for Preschoolers
- Dive in to an undersea adventure with these Ocean Books for Preschoolers
- Romping and Roaring Dinosaur Books for kids
- Cute Preschool Shape Books
- Apple Books for Preschoolers that are perfect for September
- Check out these summer books for preschoolers
- Creepy, Crawly Books about Insects for Preschoolers
- Discover lots of Color Books for Preschool kids
- Hop on over to read these silly Frog Books for Preschool
- These Easter Books for Preschoolers are sure to be new favorites
- Celebrate the arrival of spring with these spring books for preschoolers
- Preschool Books about Family you’ll love reading
- So many lovely flower books for preschoolers
- Silly and Fun Animal Books for Preschoolers
- In February you’ll love reading these Valentine Books for Preschool
- Not-so-chilly Winter Books for Preschoolers
- Perfect for the holidays Christmas Books for preschoolers
- Make some friends in these cute Farm Books for Preschool
- Teach kids to give thanks with these inspiring Thanksgiving Books for Preschoolers
- Enjoy Autumn cuddling up reading one of these fall books for preschoolers