Kids are always fascinated by bugs and insects. Whether they are scared of them or interested in them, bugs and kids tend to go together. This list of children’s books about bugs and insects is full of informative and interesting stories about bugs that kids will enjoy. We have included both cute Bug Books for Preschoolers and educational insect books for kids. No matter which books about insects for preschoolers, kindergartners, toddlers, grade 1, and grade 2 students you pick – kids are going to love these selections!
Bug Books for Preschool
Looking for some fun-to-read bug books for preschoolers? You will love thesefun storiries filled with worms, butterflies, ladybugs, spiders, bees, crickets, grasshopers, and lots of other fun insects for kids. Add these educational books about insects for preschoolers to your insect theme or bug theme or just pick them up to read with your toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade children this spring and summer!
Bug Books for Preschoolers
Whether you pick up these fun bug books for kids at your local library or grab a convenient copy for yourself, you will love these books!
National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Bugs by Catherine D. Hughes is a colorful nonfiction book that shares interesting facts about bugs alongside large, clear photographs of the insects.
Mrs. Peanuckle’s Bug Alphabet by Mrs. Peanuckle is a colorful alphabet book that pairs each letter of the alphabet with a different bug. Each page includes an illustration and a fact about the highlighted bug.
Bugs! Bugs! Bugs! by Bob Barner is a fun introduction to different types of bugs. The brightly colored illustrations and simple text make it a fun and easy read for preschoolers.
I Love Bugs! by Phileomon Sturges is a colorful book that introduces young kids to different kinds of bugs through fun facts, simple text, and colorful illustrations.
Bug Hunt by Tom Story and Ashlee Spink follows a young girl who goes to the garden on a bug hunt. As she discovers new creatures, the rhyming text shares interesting facts about them and they are highlighted in the illustrations.
Some Bugs by Angela DiTerlizzi and Brendan Wenzel is an adorable rhyming book that uses a simple text and detailed illustrations to introduce kids to all kinds of insects.
In the Tall, Tall Grass by Denise Fleming takes the reader on a journey through tall grass, exploring the many insects living in it. The large, simple text and vivid illustrations make this an engaging read for young kids.
Books about insects for preschoolers
Hello, World! Backyard Bugs by Jill McDonald explores the many types of insects that can live in your backyard. The easy to read text is engaging for little ones, and there are more facts about the insects sprinkled through the bright cartoon illustrations.
100 Bugs!: A Counting Book by Kate Narita and Suzanne Kaufman encourages the reader to count along with the kids in the book as they search for bugs around their home. The illustrations feature 10 of each highlighted bug, and the text uses different addition problems to reach the total. The back of the book includes information about the featured bugs.
Bug books for kids
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle introduces kids to the life cycle of caterpillars, and touches on healthy eating habits too. The colorful illustrations and holes cut into the pages makes it really engaging for young readers.
Waiting for Wings by Lois Ehlert is a colorful rhyming journey that takes the reader through the life cycle of caterpillars and butterflies. The large collage style illustrations and easy rhyming text are perfect for preschool aged kids.
Ten Little Caterpillars by Bill Martin Jr. and Lois Ehlert introduces readers to the life of caterpillars and butterflies through a simple rhyming text that counts from 1 to 10. The illustrations are full of bright colors and adorable caterpillar characters.
The Very Impatient Caterpillar by Ross Burach is a hilarious introduction to metamorphosis following a boisterous and impatient caterpillar. The silly illustrations and conversational text make this a really fun story to read aloud.
Books about Bees
Kaia and the Bees by Maribeth Boelts and Angela Dominguez follows a young girl named Kaia who is afraid of bees. With help from her beekeeper parents, she learns the importance of bees and starts to respect them.
Give Bees a Chance by Bethany Barton is a fun book that encourages kids to not be afraid of bees. The funny conversational text and illustrations introduce kids to the importance of bees while encouraging them not to be afraid.
Preschool bug books
Bee & Me: An Animotion Experience by Elle J. McGuinness follows a conversation between a young boy and the bee trapped in his bedroom. As they talk, the young boy learns about the importance of honeybees and their role in the world.
The Very Greedy Bee by Steve Smallman and Jack Tickle introduces the reader to a bee who doesn’t like to share. When he finds an undiscovered field of flowers, he gobbles up all the nectar for himself and finds he can’t fly home. In the end, he learns an important lesson about sharing and working with others.
Books about Worms
Bob and Otto by Robert O. Bruel and Nick Bruel is a sweet story about a friendship between a caterpillar named Bob and an earthworm named Otto. When Bob transforms into something new and Otto stays the same, their friendship must grow too.
Carl and the Meaning of Life by Deborah Freedman is a funny story about an earthworm named Carl who goes on a mission to figure out his place in the world. The story introduces the reader to all kinds of animals, and highlights the important role that earthworms play in the world.
Wonderful Worms by Linda Glaser and Loretta Krupinski teaches the reader about worms through short sentences and soothing illustrations. The easy to read text is full of facts about worms and their important part of the ecosystem.
I Can Only Draw Worms by Will Mabbitt is a hilarious introduction to worms and counting. The premise of the book is that the illustrator can only draw worms and that all worms look the same. Kids will love the silly text and simple illustrations.
Books about Flies and Fireflies
Diary of a Fly by Doreen Cronin and Harry Bliss is written in a diary format, introducing kids to life as a fly. The first person narrative and cute cartoon illustrations are full of interesting facts about flies as well.
Fly! by Karl Newsom Edwards follows a little fly who tries to learn how to move from the other insects in the garden. The simple text and cute illustrations will encourage kids to get up and get moving too.
The Very Lonely Firefly board book by Eric Carle shares the journey of a lonely firefly heading out on a mission to find other fireflies. After several cases of mistaken identity, it eventually finds what it needs.
It’s a Firefly Night by Dianne Ochiltree is a brightly colored book following a young girl and her father as they go out on a summer night and capture fireflies together.
Insect Worksheets for Preschool
If are looking for more bug activities for preschoolers, toddlers, and kindergartners – including lots of free insect printables, you will love these FREE resources:
- Peek-a-Bug Insect Alphabet Printable – four abc games to help kids learn their ABCs, match upper and lowercase letters, and more!
- Ladybug Ladybug Activities for Preschoolers activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Bug Free printable sight word games is a simple-to-play way to practice sight words with preschool, kindergarten, and first grade students
- I is for Inchworm insect activities including a worm observation book
- Stamped Potato Bee Craft for spring
- Cute Spider Name Craft
- Firefly Preschool Counting Worksheets
- Gummy Worm Edible Slime
- Fun, hands-on Spiders Activities for Preschoolers Activities
- Quick-and-Easy Spider Slime
- All About Earthworm Life Cycle Worksheets
- Insect Printables for Preschoolers 1-10 Coloring Book for preschoolers
- Ladybug Life Cycle Worksheet Pages
- Bug color by blend worksheet – Coloring by Blends
- Free printable Life Cycle of a Spider for Kids worksheets
- Ladybug Life cycle for Kids worksheets
- Life Cycle of a Mosquito Printables
- Free Bee Counting Game
- Lots of fun, hands-on learning ideas in this Free Insect Activities for Preschoolers
- Bee and Insect Theme Preschool
- SUPER cute Spider math activities for preschoolers with Playdough Mats
- Fun, Insect Telling Time Puzzles
- Catch 20 Bug Counting Activity for Pre-k and Kindergarten
- Ladybug Addition Math Game for Kindergartners and Grade 1 students
- Bug free printable sight word books pdf – children will cut and paste sentences, color the insect coloring pages, and practice reading sight words
- Free Printable, Simple Bug Coloring Pages for kids
- Shape Spider Worksheets Preschool and Kindergarten
- Insect Worksheets to learn about lots of different bugs in our world
- Practice Letters A-Z with these Free Insect Printables
- Learn all about ants with these creative ant activities for preschoolers
- Bug Math Worksheets for pre-k and kindergarten students
- Cute Bug Counting Bugs Worksheet
- Measuring Lines of Bugs Preschool Measurement Worksheets
- Count and Clip Bugs Counting to 30 Worksheets
- Buzzing Bees Numbers 1-12 Worksheets
- I Spy Printables pdf – bug activity sheets
- Bee CVC Words Activity for Kids
- Bug Themed Find the letter worksheets pdf
- FUN Backyard Critter Bug Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Ladybug Counting Mats
- Silly Worm Count to 10 Sticker Worksheets
- Free Printable Insect Mini Book to learn about bug life cycles
- Hands-on Spider Shape Activities for Preschoolers
- Free, Educational Insect Coloring Pages pdf for kids
- Help children work on spelling their name with these insect free printable name recognition activities
- Plus don’t miss these fun-to-read bug books for preschool
Preschool Book Lists
If you are looking for more fun-to-read preschool book lists with picture books picked out for your preschoolers, don’t miss these great picks:
- Construction Books for Preschoolers
- 100th Day fo School Books for kids
- Best Snowman Books for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners
- Fun-to-Read Penguin Books for Preschoolers
- Romping and Roaring Dinosaur Books for kids
- Cute Preschool Shape Books
- Apple Books for Preschoolers that are perfect for September
- Check out these summer books for preschoolers
- Creepy, Crawly Books about Insects for Preschoolers
- Discover lots of Color Books for Preschool kids
- Hop on over to read these silly Frog Books for Preschool
- These Easter Books for Preschoolers are sure to be new favorites
- Celebrate the arrival of spring with these spring books for preschoolers
- Preschool Books about Family you’ll love reading
- So many lovely flower books for preschoolers
- Silly and Fun Animal Books for Preschoolers
- In February you’ll love reading these Valentine Books for Preschool
- Not-so-chilly Winter Books for Preschoolers
- Perfect for the holidays Christmas Books for preschoolers
- Make some friends in these cute Farm Books for Preschool
- Teach kids to give thanks with these inspiring Thanksgiving Books for Preschoolers
- Enjoy Autumn cuddling up reading one of these fall books for preschoolers
Plus don’t miss our MANY preschool worksheets, fun alphabet printables, hands-on preschool math, clever ideas to learn colors, complete preschool themes, lots of playdoh mats, cute preschool crafts, and fantastic preschool books on our Preschool Play and Learn website.