Fall means it is pumpkin season! This round up of pumpkin books for preschoolers is full of fun stories celebrating the autumn season. These preschool pumpkin books are perfect for Octoboer to read with kids from toddler, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and up!
Pumpkin Books for Preschoolers
Pumpkin stories for preschoolers
Pumpkin Day at the Zoo was written by Susan Meissner and illustrated by Pablo Pino. It’s not only people that love pumpkins in the fall. Animals love them too! This fun story shows how a variety of zoo animals enjoy playing with pumpkins.
Pumpkin Jack was written and illustrated by Will Hubbell. This story follows a pumpkin carved by a young boy as it starts to rot in the garden and changes as the seasons change. This is a great introduction to the life cycle of pumpkins for young readers.
The Biggest Pumpkin Ever was written by Steven Kroll and illustrated by Jeni Bassett. In this sweet story of friendship, two young mice find themselves tending the same pumpkin in hopes of winning a big contest. Will they learn how to work together to both get what they want?
Seed, Sprout, Pumpkin, Pie was written by Jill Esbaum. This nonfiction text uses simple language and large, colorful photographs to introduce little ones to the life cycle of pumpkins.
Too Many Pumpkins was written by Linda White and illustrated by Megan Lloyd. This book follows a woman named Rebecca who hates pumpkins. After a pumpkin falls off a truck and smashes in her yard, she soon finds herself with more pumpkins than she knows what to do with.
Stories about pumpkins for preschoolers
Apples and Pumpkins was written by Anne Rockwell and illustrated by Lizzy Rockwell. When a young girl goes to the farm with her parents, she is on a mission to find the best pumpkin of all. She uses her pumpkin to create a beautiful jack o lantern while her parents hand out juicy apples to trick or treating neighbors.
Pumpkin Day! was written by Candice Ransom and illustrated by Erika Meza. This early reader follows a young boy and his family as they visit a pumpkin patch. The rhyming text and colorful illustrations are perfect for young readers.
Duck and Goose Find a Pumpkin was written and illustrated by Tad Hills. When Duck and Goose decide to find a pumpkin, they look in all the wrong places. Kids will love watching the two silly friends searching for their own pumpkin before their friend gives them a clue.
How Big Could Your Pumpkin Grow? was written and illustrated by Wendell Minor. There are “biggest pumpkin” contests all over the country during the fall, and this book was inspired by those events to imagine oversized pumpkins in funny places.
Pete the Cat: Five Little Pumpkins was written and illustrated by Kimberly and James Dean. Join the groovy cat as he sings his own version of the song “Five Little Pumpkins”. Kids will have fun singing along with the popular feline character.
Preschool pumpkin books
The Berenstain Bears and the Prize Pumpkin was written and illustrated by Stan & Jan Berenstain. When the Bear family decides to enter the Big Pumpkin Contest, they learn an important lesson about what really matters, and what it means to be thankful.
From Seed to Pumpkin was written by Wendy Pfeffer and illustrated by James Graham Hale. This informative book provides factual information about the life cycle of pumpkins in easy to understand language for young readers.
The Roll-Away Pumpkin was written by Junia Wonders and illustrated by Daniela Volpart. When a young girl named Marla loses her pumpkin, it begins rolling all over town. As it passes new people, they join in the chase as well.
Pumpkin Pumpkin was written and illustrated by Jeanne Titherington. This beautifully illustrated book follows a young boy named Jamie as he plants a pumpkin seed in the spring and watches it grow. When he harvests it in the fall and carves it into a jack o lantern, he saves some seeds to start the process over again.
Splat the Cat and the Pumpkin Picking Plan was written by Catherine Hapka and illustrated by Loryn Brantz. Splat is ready to find the biggest pumpkin in the pumpkin patch. But how will he get it home when he finds it?
Pumpkins was written by Erika L. Shores. This nonfiction book is full of facts about pumpkins, with large, clear photographs accompanying the easy to read text.
Rocket and the Perfect Pumpkin was written and illustrated by Tad Hills. This easy reader follows the adorable dog and his friend as they find the perfect pumpkin. When it gets away from them, they have to figure out how to get it back.
Peter Rabbit and the Pumpkin Patch was written by Beatrix Potter and illustrated by Ruth Palmer. Join Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny as they sneak into Mr. McGregor’s garden to try to snack on his autumn vegetables. But they soon get scared off by spooky noises and have to leave without any pumpkins.
Spookley the Square Pumpkin was written by Joe Troiano and illustrated by Susan Banta. Spookley isn’t like the other pumpkins in the patch. But his odd shape soon helps him to save the day and reminds him why he is special.
Pumpkin Town was written by Katie McKy and illustrated by Pablo Bernasconi. When their town has an abundance of pumpkins, Jose and his brothers come up with a plan to take care of the town’s pumpkin problem.
Pumpkin books for Kids
Pick a Pumpkin was written by :Patricia Toht and illustrated by Jarvis. This beautiful rhyming book pays tribute to the fall tradition of going out to find the perfect pumpkin. The accompanying illustrations are full of deep colors, and highlight the fun of this fall tradition.
Little Boo was written by Stephen Wunderli and illustrated by TIm Zeltner. This book tells the story of a little pumpkin seed who just wants to scare people. But the wind keeps telling him that he will have to wait a little longer. This sweet story takes readers through the life cycle of pumpkins with a fun twist.
There Was an Old Lady Who Picked a Pumpkin! was written by Lucille Colandro and illustrated by Jared Lee. This rhyming easy reader joins the popular Old Lady as she heads to the farm to find a pumpkin.
Bear Picks a Pumpkin was written by Katelyn VanKooten and illustrated by Gill Guile. This cute rhyming book follows Bear and his friends as they examine all the different kinds of pumpkins in search of the perfect one.
It’s Pumpkin Time was written by Zoe Hall and illustrated by Shari Halpern. Join a brother and sister as they work together to plant their own pumpkin patch. This is a great way to teach little ones about the work and care that goes into growing pumpkins.
Children’s books about pumpkins
Pumpkin lovers, rejoice! Fall is finally here, which means it’s time to indulge in all things pumpkin! We’ve rounded up the most delightful and engaging pumpkin books for your little ones to enjoy this autumn season! From adorable tales of friendly pumpkins to exciting adventures in pumpkin patches, these books are guaranteed to bring joy and excitement to your child’s reading time. Whether you have a curious toddler, a creative pre-k kiddo, a budding kindergartener, or an eager first or second grader, these preschool pumpkin books are sure to captivate their imaginations and foster a love of reading together. So, grab a cozy blanket, brew some warm apple cider, and get ready for some quality snuggle time with your little ones. It’s the perfect opportunity to create precious memories and inspire a lifelong love for books and all things pumpkin!
- Scented puffy paint pumpkins, paint swatch pumpkin crafts, easy pumpkin toilet paper roll craft, fun yarn and balloon pumpkin craft, hole punch pumpkin craft
- Create a Jack-o-Lantern Scented Rice Pumpkin Activity, 50 fun Pumpkin Activities, rubberband Pumpkin Craft for kids, 100 Pumpkin Crafts for First Grade, 31 October Crafts for Kids, Fun-to-Make Corn Wreath Craft for Kids
- Edible candy corn playdough recipe you MUST try, Amazing Spider SLime, gorgeous leaf art
- Homemade Halloween Silly Putty Activities, How to Make Pumpkin Slime, Taste Safe Pumpkin Clay for Kids, Spookley the Square Pumpkin Shape Activity with homemade Pumpkin Playdough
- Simple Skittles Pumpkin Science Experiment, EASY Pumpkin Volcano, Errupting Halloween Pumpkin Volcano , Exploding Pumpkin Science Experiment for October, Dissolving Candy Halloween Science Experiments, Melting Pumpkins Science Experiment for October, Halloween Lava Lamp Science Experiment, growing pumpkin experiment 2nd grade
- Use your leftover Halloween candy to try some of these candy science experiments, or this water displacement with candy, or this fun candy STEM idea.
- Plus don’t miss our favorite pumpkin books for preschoolers these fun FREE Fall Do a Dot Printables, and Preschool Pumpkin Theme
- MATH – Free pumpkin activity printables that uses Pumpkin Candy to Count and Trace, Pumpkin Seed Counting Activity, hands-on pumpkin pie counting activity, or Pumpkin Pie Number Sense Activities for Preschoolers, , Fall Addition Sticker Worksheets, Pumpkin Shape Games for Preshoolers, free Pumpkin Shape Matching Game, cute Pumpkin Patch Math Game, free pumpkin addition task cards, pumpkin shapes playdough mats, Pumpkin Addition Worksheets for a no prep math, preschool pie craft for practicing counting, Work on One to One Correspondence Kindergarten or this this free pumpkin activity printables, pumpkin Number Bonds to 10 math worksheets, pumpkin math numbers 11-20 worksheets
- LANGUAGE ARTS – find the letter free pumpkin activity printables, cute Pumpkin Phonics activity, free Pumpkin Letter Tracing, printable, Pumpkin Word Family Slides Printables, handy Pumpkin Letter Tracing printable Pumpkin Alphabet puzzles, word family Pumpkin Activities for Kindergarten, fun Pumpkin Sight Word Game, free homophone puzzles
- SCIENCE – Super cute parts of a pumpkin craft plus grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet, Printable, Cut-and-Paste Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheet
- Printable Hats make cute Fall Crafts for preschoolers – so many choices
Books for Preschoolers
If you are looking for more fun-to-read preschool book lists with picture books picked out for your preschoolers, don’t miss these great picks:
- Best Pirate Books for Preschoolers, Construction Books for Preschoolers, or Zoo Books for Preschoolers
- Help kids learn their ABCs with these alphabet books for preschoolers or Cute Preschool Shape Books
- Counting Books for Preschoolers lots of Color Books for Preschool kidsor 100th Day fo School Books for kids
- Camping Books for Preschoolers, Creepy, Crawly Books about Insects for Preschoolers, Fun-to-Read Penguin Books for Preschoolers, Dive in to Ocean Books for Preschoolers, or cute Farm Books for Preschool
- Romping and Roaring Dinosaur Books for kids, sports books for preschoolers
- Preschool Books about Family, Fun-to-Read Science Books for Preschoolers, Must Read Classic Preschool Books, and learn about Community Helper Books, fall pumpkin books for preschoolers
- Silly Shark Books for Kids, Explore Doctor Books for Preschoolers, or Bear Books for Preschoolers
- Don’t miss these Classic Children’s Books or these Silly and Fun Animal Books for Preschoolers
- Winter Books for Preschoolers, Best Snowman Books for toddlers, or Valentine Books for Preschool,
- Easter Books for Preschoolers , favorite spring books for preschoolers, Silly Frog Books for Preschool
- Check out these summer books for preschoolers or lovely flower books for preschoolers
- Read fall books for preschoolers, cute Apple Books for Preschoolers, beautiful Thanksgiving Books for Preschoolers, first day back to school books for preschoolers, or Christmas Books for preschoolers
- Preschool emotion books for learning to understand feelings and Children’s Books about Grandparents