Help introduce children to the many shapes in our world by picking up one of these delightful shape books for preschoolers! Reading shape books is such a fun gentle way to help toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders learn common shapes for kids. We’ve picked out some of our favorite children’s books about shapes to delight you and your children as you read!
Shape Books for Preschoolers
Shapes are some of the first concepts that we teach to little kids. There are tons of great shape books for preschoolers that introduce them to shapes in fun and interesting ways. Learn about circle, oval, square, rectangle, triangle, and more shapes for kids. So cuddle up and sneak in some preschool math with these books about shapes for kids!
Children’s books about shapes
Come take a peak and find your new favorite shape book for kids!
Mouse Shapes by Ellen Stoll Walsh follows 3 little mice as they hide from a cat in a pile of shapes. They use the shapes to build things, and eventually scare away the cat.
Round Is a Tortilla: A Book of Shapes by Roseanne Greenfield Thong and John Parra is a rhyming book that introduces kids to shapes in the world. The text includes Spanish vocabulary, and the images show these shapes in familiar scenes.
Shapes by Anne Woodhull and and Shelley Rotner uses clear, colorful photographs to show shapes in real world scenes. The simple text explores the many places that kids can see and recognize shapes in the world around them.
Shape by Shape by Suse MacDonald is a shape book that uses collage style illustrations and die cut pages to create a dinosaur out of various shapes with every turn of the page.
Walter’s Wonderful Web: A First Book About Shapes by Tim Hopgood shares the story of a little spider named Walter who wants to build a sturdy web. He spins his web into various shapes until he finds just the right style.
Snippets: A story about paper shapes by Diane Alber follows two different groups of shapes as they learn to work together to create something stronger. The illustrations feature brightly colored shape characters with large eyes and little arms and legs.
Tangled: A Story About Shapes by Anne Miranda and Eric Comstock tells the story of a group of shapes who get tangled in the jungle gym together. The rhyming text is fun to read aloud, and kids will love the adorable shape characters.
Circus Shapes (MathStart 1) by Stuart J. Murphy and Edward Miller introduces kids to basic shapes through a simple story about a circus coming to town.
Bulldozer’s Shapes: Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site shows the adorable Little Crane and Little Bulldozer creating different shapes as they work. The simple text introduces basic shapes, while the illustrations feature adorable vehicle characters.
Shapes by John J. Reiss is a colorful book that introduces basic shapes, real world examples of them, and how they join together to create three dimensional shapes.
City Shapes by Diana Murray and Bryan Collier explores life in the city and the different shapes that can be found all around.
Color Farm by Lois Ehlert introduces readers to colors, shapes, and animals through die cut pages and brightly colored shapes that transform into animals.
This Is a Book of Shapes by Kenneth Kraegel starts out as a basic shape book, but soon adds in pages of silly animal characters doing funny things.
Big Box of Shapes by Wiley Blevins and Elliot Kreloff follows a pair of children as they open up a box of shapes and use their imaginations to create all kinds of things with them.
Ghostbusters: Book of Shapes by Jeff Harvey uses characters and symbols from the popular movie franchise to introduce kids to basic shapes.
Shape Up, Construction Trucks! by Victoria Allenby uses large, clear photographs and rhyming text to show how basic shapes can be found in large construction vehicles.
The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns and Gordon Silveria follows a triangle who wants to change his life. After he visits a shapeshifter, he keeps adding angles and becoming other shapes until he doesn’t recognize himself anymore.
If You Were a Quadrilateral (Math Fun) by Molly Blaisdell and Francesca Carabelli explores all the things around us that are quadrilaterals.
Skippyjon Jones Shape Up by Judy Schachner follows the adorable little dog as he runs and dances on basic shapes.
Circle, Square, Moose by Kelly Bingham and Paul O. Zelinsky starts as a basic shape book, but the troublemaking Moose interrupts it. So it is up to his friend Zebra to put everything back in order.
Perfect Square by Michael Hall explores what can happen when a perfect square is manipulated and turned into other things.
Shapes That Roll by Karen Nagel explores basic shapes as Triangle, Circle, and Square discuss the common traits of some shapes.
Bear in a Square by Stella Blackstone and Debbie Harper follows a cute bear as he makes his way through colorful scenes, finding shapes along the way.
Brown Rabbit’s Shapes by Alan Baker explores basic shapes along with curious little rabbits who find new shapes all around them.
Circle Rolls by Barbara Kanninen and Serge Bloch is a rhyming book that introduces kids to shapes and their characteristics through a bunch of shape friends who interact in funny ways.
Looking for more fun ways to help kids learn about shapes? You will love these free shape printables:
- Preschool Shapes Worksheets
- Teaching Shapes to Preschoolers with Pirate Printable Reader
- Monster Preschool Shapes Playdough mats
- Chocolate Shape Mats
- Free Printable Shape Flashcards
- Build a Snowman – Free Printable Shape Puzzles
- Popsicle Shape Sorting Mats
- Pumpkin Shape Matching
- Penguin Shape Sorting Activity
- Trace & Erase Shape Activities for Preschoolers
- Pumpkin Shape Mats
- Leaf Shapes for Kids
- Trace the Shape
- Shape Scavenger Hunt
- Free Printable Shapes Worksheets
- Cut and Paste Shapes Printable
- Shape Constellation Flashlight Printable
- Free Shape Puzzles Printable
- Shape Do a Dot Printables
- Free Printable Road Shapes
- Free Shape Bingo Game
- Shape Playdough Mats
- Free Shape Games
- Flower Shape Mats
- Ice Cream Shape Mats
- Flower Shape Math Craft
- Carrot Shape Mats
Preschool Book Lists
If you are looking for more fun-to-read preschool book lists with picture books picked out for your preschoolers, don’t miss these great picks:
- Construction Books for Preschoolers
- 100th Day fo School Books for kids
- Best Snowman Books for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners
- Fun-to-Read Penguin Books for Preschoolers
- Romping and Roaring Dinosaur Books for kids
- Cute Preschool Shape Books
- Apple Books for Preschoolers that are perfect for September
- Check out these summer books for preschoolers
- Creepy, Crawly Books about Insects for Preschoolers
- Discover lots of Color Books for Preschool kids
- Hop on over to read these silly Frog Books for Preschool
- These Easter Books for Preschoolers are sure to be new favorites
- Celebrate the arrival of spring with these spring books for preschoolers
- Preschool Books about Family you’ll love reading
- So many lovely flower books for preschoolers
- Silly and Fun Animal Books for Preschoolers
- In February you’ll love reading these Valentine Books for Preschool
- Not-so-chilly Winter Books for Preschoolers
- Perfect for the holidays Christmas Books for preschoolers
- Make some friends in these cute Farm Books for Preschool
- Teach kids to give thanks with these inspiring Thanksgiving Books for Preschoolers
- Enjoy Autumn cuddling up reading one of these fall books for preschoolers
Plus don’t miss our MANY preschool worksheets, fun alphabet printables, hands-on preschool math, clever ideas to learn colors, complete preschool themes, lots of playdoh mats, cute preschool crafts, and fantastic preschool books on our Preschool Play and Learn website.