20 Alphabet Books for Preschoolers
As you are picking out some fun books for your child to read, you are probably looking for som fun abc children’s book. Not only do alphabet books for preschoolers help kids learn their letters and the sounds they make, but their reinforce new vocabulary, are educational working towards future literacy, but they are fun-to-read too! Use these children’s alphabet book choices with toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first graders too!
Alphabet Books for Preschoolers
Alphabet books are a fun way to introduce preschoolers to the letters of the alphabet. This list of alphabet books for preschoolers features books that introduce letters in fun ways, or uses the structure of the alphabet to introduce young readers to different themes and topics! These abc books for preschoolers, kindergartners, toddlers, and grade 1 students are a great way to sneak in learning while snuggling up on the couch and creating memories too!
ABC children’s book
A is for Apple by Tiger Tales is an interactive board book that teaches kids about the alphabet by encouraging them to trace the letters with indented illustrations. They can also lift the flaps to find words that begin with that letter.
Eating the Alphabet by Lois Ehlert introduces readers to the letters of the alphabet by pairing them with different fruits and vegetables that begin with that letter. The simple text is paired with colorful illustrations of the various foods.
LMNO Peas by Keith Baker follows a group of peas as they make their way through the alphabet, pairing each letter with different jobs and careers that start with that letter.
Alphabet Mystery by Audrey Wood and Bruce Wood tells the story of the letters of the alphabet on a hunt to find the missing Little x. When they find him playing xylophone for the mysterious capital M, will they be able to save him?
AlphaOops! The Day Z Went First by Althea Kontis and Bob Kolar is a fun twist on the traditional alphabet book. The story shows what happens when the letter Z decides that it doesn’t want to be last, and all the letters start stepping out of order.
Children’s alphabet book
Alphabet Trains by Samantha R. Vamos and Ryan O’Rourke is an alphabet book for kids who love trains. Each letter of the alphabet is paired with a different type of train, with illustrations showing the different trains in action.
Dr. Seuss’s ABC by Dr. Seuss is a classic alphabet book highlightng each letter of the alphabet with a silly character and situation. The alliterative sentences give the text a peppy rhythm, and the illustrations are done in Seuss’ zany style.
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr., John Archambault, and Lois Ehlert is a popular story that follows the little letters in the alphabet as they try to race to the top of the coconut tree. When they all fall down, their parents (capital letters) come to collect them. The rhyming text and colorful illustrations draw in young readers and keep their attention.
What About X? by Anne Marie Houppert and Daniel Wiseman joins the letter students at Alphabet Academy as they figure out what to bring for the camping trip. Each letter is bringing something that starts with their letter, but X doesn’t know what to bring.
Dinosaur A-Z by Roger Priddy pairs each letter of the alphabet with a different dinosaur or prehistoric creature whose name starts with that letter. Each brightly colored page features a large illustration of the featured dinosaur, as well as a pronunciation of the name, and a short paragraph about them.
abc books for Preschoolers
ABCs of Kindness by Samantha Berger and Ekaterinburg Trukhan uses the letters of the alphabet to teach kids about acts of kindness, and how their kindnesses can make a difference in the lives of others. The simple illustrations and heartwarming text will be a hit with both kids and adults.
The Pout-Pout Fish Undersea Alphabet by Deborah Diesen and Dan Hanna pairs every letter with a different undersea creature. The simple text identifies the featured letter and animal, while the colorful illustrations are done in the same cute style as the Pout Pout Fish books.
ABC Dance by Sabrina Moyle and Eunice Moyle is a brightly colored board book that uses alliterative sentences and hilarious illustrations to introduce readers to different animals and dancing styles. The rhyming text has a great rhythm to it, making it a fun one to read aloud.
ABC Yoga by Christiane Engel takes readers through the alphabet, as well as a variety of yoga poses. Each letter is paired with an animal, which is highlighted in a different yoga post. The simple text teaches kids how to do the pose, while the illustrations feature a child doing the pose and interacting with the featured animal.
Mrs. Peanuckle’s Flower Alphabet by Mrs. Peanuckle and Jessie Ford is part of a series of books pairing the letters of the alphabet with items familiar to kids. This version uses the alphabet to introduce kids to different kinds of flowers. The vivid pages feature beautiful cartoon flowers, the name of each highlighted flower, and a little paragraph about them.
Alphabet books for preschool
National Geographic Little Kids African Animal Alphabet by Beverly and Dereck Joubert is a nonfiction book using the letters of the alphabet to introduce kids to a variety of wild animals found in Africa. The interesting facts about the animals are paired with large, clear photographs, giving kids a great introduction to the animals.
I Spy Letters by Jean Marzollo and Walter Wick is a seek and find book using rhyming riddles and busy photographs to encourage kids to explore the letters of the alphabet. Kids will love looking through the images and finding what the text asks them to search for.
A to Z by Sandra Boynton pairs large, colorful letters of the alphabet with adorable animal characters in her signature style, and an alliterative phrase pairing the animal with a verb. Kids will love repeating the short phrases, and checking out the silly animals as they act them out.
Marvel Alphablock by Christopher Franceschelli and David Partington is a large board book that highlights each letter of the alphabet through a different character or location in the Marvel Universe. Superhero fans will love the die cut pages, and the bold artwork featuring their favorite characters.
Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC by June Sobel and Henry Cole joins an animal pirate crew as they go out in search of letters to make them tougher. Kids will love the silly illustrations, and the pirate lingo included in the text.
letter books for preschool
Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph Slate and Ashley Wolff introduces readers to a dog teacher named Miss Bindergarten as she prepares her classroom for the first day of kindergarten. Each letter of the alphabet is paired with a different name, represented by a different animal character. Kids will love the rhyming text and seeing the little animals following the same back to school routines they do.
Olivia’s ABC by Ian Falconer features the popular pig character as she introduces the alphabet through the names of items around her. Kids will enjoy recognizing the items that she is highlighting, as well as the funny ways she interacts with them in the illustrations.
A is for Angry by Sandra Boynton uses the letters of the alphabet to introduce kids to animals and adjectives. From emotions to descriptions, the simple alliterative text introduces a lot of new vocabulary to young readers, paired with funny animal illustrations.
Alphabet Under Construction by Denise Fleming follows a little mouse as he constructs the letters of the alphabet with different materials or methods starting with that letter. The simple text is paired with fun illustrations showing the little mouse building the big letters.
The Alphabet Tree by Leo Lionni tells the story of the little letters of the alphabet as they learn to join together to make words and sentences so they can survive the fierce wind threatening the alphabet tree. The illustrations are done in Lionni’s signature style, with soothing colors and detailed textures.
Alphabet Printables for Preschoolers
- Handy, Free Alphabet Chart
- Cute Alphabet Coloring Pages helps build vocabulary and work on beginning sounds and phonemic awareness
- Alphabet Dot Marker Printables
- Find the Letter Dinosaur Alphabet Printables
- Fruit Loop or Skittle Alphabet Mat
- Alphabet Construction Activities for Preschoolers
- Bug Find the Letter Worksheets pdf
- Tracing Alphabet Popsicles Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Watermelon Seed Alphabet Mats Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Apple is for Apple Printable teaching beginning sounds from A to Z
- Flower Begining Sound Activity
- Traceable Alphabet Preschool Apple Activity
- Letter Crafts – we have a free printable letter craft for every letter of the alphabet A to Z
- Letter Recognition Worksheets – find and dab the upper and lowercase letters in these super cute ABC printables!
- Endangered Animals Find the Letter Worksheets
- Simple preschool alphabet worksheets to color and trace letters
- How cute are these letter find pumpkin worksheets for preschool
- Practice uppercase letter tracing with these super cute animal alphabet cards A-Z
- Animal Alphabet Worksheets – dab the letter and trace the uppercase and lower case letters
- Printable Letter Mazes
- See all of our FREE ABC Printables here!
Preschool Book Lists
If you are looking for more fun-to-read preschool book lists with picture books picked out for your preschoolers, don’t miss these great picks:
- Construction Books for Preschoolers
- 100th Day fo School Books for kids
- Best Snowman Books for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners
- Fun-to-Read Penguin Books for Preschoolers
- Romping and Roaring Dinosaur Books for kids
- Cute Preschool Shape Books
- Apple Books for Preschoolers that are perfect for September
- Check out these summer books for preschoolers
- Creepy, Crawly Books about Insects for Preschoolers
- Discover lots of Color Books for Preschool kids
- Hop on over to read these silly Frog Books for Preschool
- These Easter Books for Preschoolers are sure to be new favorites
- Celebrate the arrival of spring with these spring books for preschoolers
- Preschool Books about Family you’ll love reading
- So many lovely flower books for preschoolers
- Silly and Fun Animal Books for Preschoolers
- In February you’ll love reading these Valentine Books for Preschool
- Not-so-chilly Winter Books for Preschoolers
- Perfect for the holidays Christmas Books for preschoolers
- Make some friends in these cute Farm Books for Preschool
- Teach kids to give thanks with these inspiring Thanksgiving Books for Preschoolers
- Enjoy Autumn cuddling up reading one of these fall books for preschoolers
Plus don’t miss our MANY preschool worksheets, fun alphabet printables, hands-on preschool math, clever ideas to learn colors, complete preschool themes, lots of playdoh mats, cute preschool crafts, and fantastic preschool books on our Preschool Play and Learn website.