Make science come alive for kids with this Valentine’s Day Science project for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. Children will make a love potion number 9 in this valentines day activities. This science valentines is like a diy lava lamp for February so get ready to concoct a bubbling and active brew.
Valentine’s Day Science
These valentine’s day activities are sure to excite and engage even the most reluctant learners. This valentine’s day science is quick and easy and SUPER COOL too! Simply mix up the simple mixture, drop in an alka selzer tablet and get ready for an outrageously FUN valentines activities for preschool. Use this valentines day activity with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students!
Valentines day activities
You will need a tall clear container such as a water bottle with the lid removed, base, tall container, or a science beaker would be extra cool. Now gather your simple supplies:
- baby oil
- food coloring
- funnel (to reduce mess)
- valentines day glitter or confetti
- several Alka Seltzer Antacid Tablet
Valentines Day Science Experiment
Pour baby oil 1/3 of the way up a clear glass container. You could use a science beaker, clear glass vase, drinking cup, or anything else you have on hand. Using a fiole helps make sure you don’t get the oily substance on the outside of your valentines science experiment.
Add water the rest of the way up, leaving several inches open at the top.
Valentines activities for preschool
Now pour in about 1 tablespoon of Valentines day themed glitter or confetti – whatever kind moves your child and you can find easily. Point out to your children hot is sinks down below the water, but rests before the baby oil layer. That is because the confetti is more dense than water, but less dense than oil. Learn more with this Layered Liquids Density Experiments for Valentines Day
Repeat with a second jar if you like. Personally I thought it looked super cool having two love potion lava lamps of different colors going at the same time.
Valentines Day Activity
Squeeze seveal drops of food coloring in the container. Have children notice where the color stops. We used a couple drops of pink in one and several blue drops in the other.
Valentine’s day activities
Finally, drop in 1 alka seltzer tablet in each of your potions. Get ready to watch some FUN!
The mixtures will start to bubble and mix both the colors and glitter to make some beautiful concotions – your science love potions.
Remember that this is NOT EDIBLE!
Isn’t it so pretty! Once the potion stops moving around you can always add another tablet and watch the action start up all over again!
Wondering WHY the valentines day science experiment works? Changes in density as gas is added when the alka selzer tablet begins to release (see above) which causes the liquids to move, float up, and sink down through the oil. Thus the lava lamp is created! This activity is simple and allows the kids to see what is happening as you explain what and how it is occurring.
Looking for more fun preschool science experiments to try this February? Check out these ideas!
- Fizzy Love Potion – Valentines Day Science
- Oobleck Valentines Day Activity for Kids
- Oil and Water Science Expermient – a fun Valentines Day Activity for Preschoolers
- Balloon Valentines Day Science Experiment
- Layered Liquids Density Experiments for Valentines Day
- Glittery Purple Valentine Slime
- Valentines Day Magic Milk Science Experiment for Preschoolers
- Salt Painting Valentines Day Activity
- Density for Kids Science Experiment for Valentines Day
- Skittles Valentines Day Science Activities
- EASY Static Electricity Balloon Experiment
- Practice shapes with this hands-on Valentines Day STEM Activities
- Fizzy Heart Science Project – Valentines Day Activities for Kids
- Conversation Heart Ooblek – FUN Valentines Day Activity for Kids
- Valentines Day Slime
- Add some Valentines Day Science with this super cool and EASY Dancing Hearts Experiment
- Try these FUN Valentine Science Experiments for kids of all ages
- Salt crystal hearts Science Experiment perfect for February
Valentines Day Worksheets
Looking for more way to make learning fun during February? Kids will LOVE these Valentine’s Day themed, educational activities. Plus, all of these are free printables.
- These Valentine’s day worksheets allow preschoolers to practice math and literacy with super cute printables that are NO PREP!
- Color by Letter to decorate these cookies with these fun Valentine Worksheets for Preschool
- Make your own Alphabet Book from A to Z with these Valentine’s Day Worksheets to color, read, and learn
- ABC Hole Punching for Valentines Day – preschoolers will have fun working on letter recognition as they use a hole punch with this free printable for February.
- Alpahbet Valentines – kids will have fun preparing Valentines with this fun activity that works on beginning sounds, tracing letters, and matching uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Rhyming Valentines cut and paste printables – these heart workshets are a fun way for kids to practice identifying rhyming words
- Valentines Day Math Clip Cards – practice counting numbers 11-20 with these cute, low prep clip cards
- Our kids favorite tradition! Print out these Valentines Day Printables and leave love notes for each other to read on February 14th!
- Pencil Valentine Printable – super cute free printable “looking sharp” Valentine for kids
- Sneak in some fun writing practice with these Febraury Writing Prompts Calendar
- Practice spelling with this fun, engaging and FREE Printable Valentine’s Day Spelling Activity
- Valentines Day I Spy Printable – this is a fun valentiens day activity that also works on counting and visual discrimination at the same time
- Practice sounding out and spelling short i words with this Heart themed spelling mats.
- Valentine’s Day ABC Hole PunchingActivity – kids will strengthen hand muscles while working on letter recognition
- Valentine sight word coloring pages – kids will have fun reading and gaining fluency with key sight words while revealing these mystery pictures
- A-Z Valentine’s Day Worksheets is fun for kids to practice making capital letters using conversation hearts!
- Practice forming simple words with this Kindergarten Valentines Day CVC word mats
- Make practicing preschool sight words fun with this Chocolate Box Valentine Activities for Preschoolers
- Count to 20 with these cute Valentine Math Clip Cards
- Practice counting to 10 with this Valentine Math Puzzles for pre-k
- Valentines Day Color by Number – students will reveal hidden pictures as they color by number and work on number recognition
- Free Valentine’s Day Tracing Worksheets for Preschoolers – kids will have fun working on hand muscles as they trace these common February items in these tracing worksheets.
- February Color by Number – work on number recognition as students reveal mystery pictures as they color.
- Count and Trace Valentines Day Worksheets with conversation hearts
- FUN, Self-checing Multiplication Valentine Math Activity for Kids
- Work on fractions, percent, and measurement with these Valentine Math Worksheets
- Color by Hundreds Chart Happy valentine’s day mouse activities
- Handy Valentines Day themed Odd and Even Numbers Worksheets
- Valentines Day Number Book – kids will have fun practicing counting with conversation hears as they make a free printable book.
- Kids will have fun practicing addition and subtraction with this clever,Valentine’s day math craft.
- Help kids work on symmetry for kids with these Valentine’s Day Worksheets
- Free Valentine’s day math worksheets – kindergartners will have fun practicing numbers to 100 while they reveal hidden images with these Valentines Day coloring pages
- Use snap cubes with this free printable Valentine Math activity for kindergarten and first graders
- Fun Lock and Key Color Matching Game for toddlers and preschoolers
- Work on making common shapes with these super cute Chocolate Shape Playdough Mats
Valentines Day Crafts for Kids
- Plus don’t miss these fun Valentines Books to cuddle up and read this February
- Heart Fish Craft for Valentines Day – kids will have fun cutting and pasting lots of hearts to make this adorable fish craft
- Fingerprint Hearth Tree Valentines Day Craft is super cute and such a precious keepsake craft
- Bear treat cup Valentines Day Craft is cute and practical too
- Red Hot Valentines Slime is so pretty and fun to play with!
- Try this EASY Chocolate playdough recipe to make your creations look like valentines day candy!
- Beautiful Valentines Art Projects – Matisse Style heart craft for kids
- Cactus valentine craft – this is such a fun cut and paste Valentines Day Craft for kids
- 30 February Crafts for Kids – so many fun, clever crafts to fill the whole month of February
- Don’t miss these fun February activities for kids
Looking for some cute and FREE printable valentines to share with your friends? Check out these homemade valentines for kids:
- Tic-Tac-Toe Printable Valentine Cards
- Pencil Valentine Printable
- Happy Slime-tines – Free Printable Valentines Day Cards