Love Potion #9 Valentine’s Day Science Activity
Make science come alive for kids with this Valentine’s Day Science project for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students. Children will make a love potion number 9 in this valentines day activities. This science valentines is like a diy lava lamp for February so get ready to concoct a bubbling and active brew.
Love potion science experiment
These valentine’s day activities are sure to excite and engage even the most reluctant learners. This valentine’s day science is quick and easy and SUPER COOL too! Simply mix up the simple mixture, drop in an alka selzer tablet and get ready for an outrageously FUN valentines activities for preschool. Use this valentines day activity with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students!
Valentines day activities
You will need a tall clear container such as a water bottle with the lid removed, base, tall container, or a science beaker would be extra cool. Now gather your simple supplies:
- baby oil
- food coloring
- funnel (to reduce mess)
- valentines day glitter or confetti
- several Alka Seltzer Antacid Tablet
Valentines science experiments
Pour baby oil 1/3 of the way up a clear glass container. You could use a science beaker, clear glass vase, drinking cup, or anything else you have on hand. Using a fiole helps make sure you don’t get the oily substance on the outside of your valentines science experiment.
Add water the rest of the way up, leaving several inches open at the top.
Valentines activities for preschool
Now pour in about 1 tablespoon of Valentines day themed glitter or confetti – whatever kind moves your child and you can find easily. Point out to your children hot is sinks down below the water, but rests before the baby oil layer. That is because the confetti is more dense than water, but less dense than oil. Learn more with this Layered Liquids Density Experiments for Valentines Day
Love potion kids
Repeat with a second jar if you like. Personally I thought it looked super cool having two love potion lava lamps of different colors going at the same time.
Valentines Day Activity
Squeeze seveal drops of food coloring in the container. Have children notice where the color stops. We used a couple drops of pink in one and several blue drops in the other.
Valentine’s day activities
Finally, drop in 1 alka seltzer tablet in each of your potions. Get ready to watch some FUN!
Valentine’s day science experiments
The mixtures will start to bubble and mix both the colors and glitter to make some beautiful concotions – your science love potions.
Remember that this is NOT EDIBLE!
Valentines day science
Isn’t it so pretty! Once the potion stops moving around you can always add another tablet and watch the action start up all over again!
Valentines Day Preschool
Wondering WHY the valentines day science experiment works? Changes in density as gas is added when the alka selzer tablet begins to release (see above) which causes the liquids to move, float up, and sink down through the oil. Thus the lava lamp is created! This activity is simple and allows the kids to see what is happening as you explain what and how it is occurring.
Looking for more fun preschool science experiments to try this February? Check out these ideas!
- These super cute and EASY Science Valentines use science to blow up a balloon to reveal a hidden message
- Simply science fun Fizzy Love Potion Valentines Day Activities for Preschoolers
- Kids will be amazed with this fun density jar Valentines Day Science Experiment (honey, corn syrup, maple syrup, hand soap, water, vegetable oil)or try this density valentines day science (corn syrup, whole milk, lavender dish soap, water, baby oil, rubbing alcohol)
- Quick and easy, February Fizzy Hearts Science Experiment
- Valentines Day Experiment making slt crystal hearts in February
- February themed, Simple balloon static electricity experiments for kids
- Valentines Day Science with Magic Milk activity
- Love Potion #9 Valentines Day activities for preschoolers
- Skittle Heart Science valentines day activities for toddlers
- 25 Epic Valentines Day Science Experiments for kids
Valentines Day Activities
- Have a blast with this outrageously fun Oobleck valentines day activitiies for preschoolers or this red valentines day oobleck version
- Grab this Free Valentines Day Printables with Stem challenges using Lego bricks
- Shimmery pink Slime Valentines recipe kids will love!
- Grab some pretty straw for this Valentine STEM activities
- Find lots of fun February Activities for kids here!
- EPIC Purple Slime Valentines Day Activities for Preschoolers
- Red Hot Valentines Slime recipe for kids
- Simple Oil and Water Valentines Day Science for kids
- Simple Dancing Conversation Hearts Experiment – Valentines day activities for preschoolers and kids of all ages!
Valentines Day Worksheets
Looking for more way to make learning fun during February? Kids will LOVE these Valentine’s Day themed, educational activities. Plus, all of these are free printables.
- Valentines Day Activities for Preschoolers – students will have fun getting valentines ready to “mail” while matching upper and lowercase letters while working on phonemic awareness and beginning sounds.
- Cute Find the Letter Valentine’s Day Worksheets with alphabet candy in the cookie jars
- ABC Hole Punch Valentines activities for preschool – kids will strengthen hand muscles while working on letter recognition
- H is for Heart Worksheets – practie tracing and writting the letter h.
- ABC Valentine Worksheets for Preschool and kindergarten – kids will have fun learning new vocabulary and practicing tracing upper and lowercase letters as they make their very own alphabet book.
- Alphabet Valentine Preschool Worksheets – with a free pritnable alphabet worksheet for each letter from A to Z, help kids work on letter recognition while decorating these heart cookies (pictured above)
- Valentines Alphabet game – kids will have fun matching upper and lowercase letter heart puzzles
- Grab some converstion hearst and our printable alphabet pages for a fun, hands-on Valentines Day activities for preschoolers
- Chocolate Sight Words Valentine’s day activities for preschoolers – matching activity to practice identifying and reading key sight words.
- Heart CVC Words Valentine activities for kindergarten– students will have fun practicing the sounds letters make while building CVC words with alphabet conversation hearts
- Color by Sight Word Valentine Worksheets – kids will have fun reading and gaining fluency with key sight words while revealing these mystery pictures
- Valentines Day Sight Words Mats – super cute, low prep activity for practicing bulding sight words
- Pre-writing Valentine Worksheets for preschool
- Practice a variety of math and literacy skills with these Free Valentine’s day worksheets for preschoolers! There are over 30 different sucte, clever activities for Toddler, Preschool, and Kindergarten age kids!
Valentines Day Math
- Free Valentines Day Color by Number – students will reveal hidden pictures as they color by number and work on number recognition
- Valentines Roll and Cover math activity for working on number sense
- Valentines Day Worksheets learning about symmetry with drawing prompts.
- Heart Penguin Skip Counting Strips – simple Valentine math for kindergartners
- Love Monster Ten Frame Valentines Day Math Activities
- Valentines Day Worksheets with Snap Cubes – with two levels of difficulty these cards help kids practice using logic and spatial reasoning
- Free Snap Cubes Template cards for valenties day
- Lock and Key valentines activities for kids – kids will have fun working on color recognition with this fun, Valentine’s Day matching game
- Valentine matching game printable – fun game to help kids work on number sense
- Count to 20 valentine math activities for preschoolers Clip Cards- kids will have fun practicing counting using a ten frame with this fun math activity for prek / kindergartners
- Chocolate Shape Preschool valentine games – kids will have fun practicing forming shapes with these chocolate shape playdough mats.
- Count to 10 Valentine math activities for preschoolers – young learners will have practicing counting sprinkles and matching the puzzles
- Super cute Valentine Roll and Cover Printable for preschoolers
- Count and Trace Valentine’s Day Counting Worksheets with conversation hearts
- Valentines Day Math Clip Cards – practice counting numbers 11-20 with these cute, low prep clip cards
- Printable Valentines Day Counting Cards – these cute Valentines Day Counting Cards are great for young learners
- Practice counting to 20 and tracing numbers as you prepare the mail in this February activities for preschoolers
Valentines Day Crafts & Activities
- 30 Fabulous February Crafts for kids of all ages
- Valentines Day Crafts for Kids – even more unique and creative heart crafts for kids
- Beautiful Valentines Art Projects – Matisse Style heart craft for kids
- 30 February Crafts for Kids – so many fun, clever crafts to fill the whole month of February
- Fingerprint Heart Tree is such a cute Valentine art and craft ideas for preschoolers
- Bear treat cup Valentines Day Craft is cute and practical too
- Valentine Cookie Bath for Kids
- Heart Sticker Valentine projects for toddlers – super cute and precious Valentines Day craft for kids
- Learn about famous artists with this beautiful Matisse Valentines Art Project
- 26 Valentines Day Projects for Kids to make with their hands
- 21 Conversation Heart Crafts for Kids – kids will have fun crafting with this traditional valentine candy
- Valentines Day Countdown Craft for kids
- H is for heart worksheeet and simple hand art craft
- Heart Mobile Valentine’s day craft ideas – super cute and simple craft for February
- Simple Salt Painting Valentines Day activities for preschoolers with free templates
- Cactus valentine craft – free printable valentine activities for preschoolers to cut and paste
- Heart Fish Craft for Valentines Day – kids will have fun cutting and pasting lots of hearts to make this adorable fish craft
- I spy Valentine Worksheet – this is a fun valentines day activity that also works on counting and visual discrimination at the same time
- Pencil Valentine Printable – super cute free printable “looking sharp” Valentine for kids
- Hugs and Kisses Tic-tac-toe Preschool Valentine
- Valentine coloring pages for preschool – kids will have fun improving coordination and strengthning fine motor skills with these pre writing pages.
- Free Valentines Day Pre-Writing Worksheets – fun way for kids to strenthen hand muscles and cordination with a fun February theme.
- Sunday school valentine crafts – perfect February craft for students learning about the ten commandments
- Simple, Free Valentines day coloring pages pdf – simple coloring pages perfect for toddler, preschool, and kindergartners
Valentines Day Printables
- February Stories for Kids – you will love that all the planning is done for you with our free printable calendars! Each day has a book and activity based on a fun holiday or special day!
- February Family Meal Planner – take all the work out of planning meals with our printable menu and grocery list!
- Grab these super cute valentine’s day coupons for your spouds or kids!
- Our kids favorite tradition! Grab these FREE printable Valentine Hearts on Bedroom Door to leave love notes for each other to read on February 14th!
- Free Printable Slime Valentines for classmates and friends
- Pencil Valentine Printable for kids to share
- Plus don’t forget to grab these valentine books for preschool or take a peak at our Preschool Valentine Ideas or our Valentines Day Theme for Elementary age students.