Looking for a pretty and simple valentines day science for February? Your toddler, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age chid will have fun with this easy milk science experiment. All you need is milk, dish soap, food coloring, and q-tips to try this fun and exciting valentines day activity!
Milk science experiment
I love simple since expeirments to help young children start to wonder, explore, and marvel at the world around them. But to keep the attention of toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarnters, and grade 1 students the science project needs to be easy-to-make, quick, and have a good WOW moment. THis milk and food coloring experiment fits all three! Try this milk science experiment at home, in the classroom or at your homeschool coop for a fun valentines day activities for kids!
Valentines Day Activity
You will love that there is virtually no prep for this activity for valentines day. Grab these common household materials and you are ready to try this valentines day experiment:
- clear pan (glass baking dish, glass pie pan, clear storage container, etc)
- full fat milk
- liquid food coloring
- liquid dish detergent (we used Dawn)
- cotton q tips
Magic milk experiment
Pour a thin layer of milk into a clean, clear container. We added some heart valentine’s day cookie cutters to make it extra fun for our valentines day theme.
Milk and food coloring experiment
Now add drops of valentine colored food coloring (red, pink, purple, etc.) all around the milk. Dip a q tip into clear dawn dish soap and touch it to a drop of food coloring for about 15 seconds. Watch as the WOW chemical reaction occurs and the color rushes out and looks like a pretty swirl.
touch q-tip soaked in dish detergent to food coloring and hold for 15 seconds.
Watch as the color pushes out, swirls, and makes beautiful patterns in the milk. SImple! When you are done simply pour it down the drain and run your pan and cookie cutters through the dishwasher.
Valentines Day Science
So what is happening? Milk is made up of fats (and protein and minerals). When the dish soap enters the milk the fat begins to break up. The soap molecules gravitate towards fat molecules in the milk. You can’t usually see this process, but the food coloring allows us to see the movement taking place. This works especially well if you can find non-homoginized milk, althought it works with any FULL FAT milk.
Looking for more fun preschool science experiments to try this February? Check out these ideas!
- These super cute and EASY Science Valentines use science to blow up a balloon to reveal a hidden message
- Simply science fun Fizzy Love Potion Valentines Day Activities for Preschoolers
- Kids will be amazed with this fun density jar Valentines Day Science Experiment (honey, corn syrup, maple syrup, hand soap, water, vegetable oil)or try this density valentines day science (corn syrup, whole milk, lavender dish soap, water, baby oil, rubbing alcohol)
- Quick and easy, February Fizzy Hearts Science Experiment
- Valentines Day Experiment making slt crystal hearts in February
- February themed, Simple balloon static electricity experiments for kids
- Valentines Day Science with Magic Milk activity
- Love Potion #9 Valentines Day activities for preschoolers
- Skittle Heart Science valentines day activities for toddlers
- 25 Epic Valentines Day Science Experiments for kids
Valentines Day Activities
- Have a blast with this outrageously fun Oobleck valentines day activitiies for preschoolers or this red valentines day oobleck version
- Grab this Free Valentines Day Printables with Stem challenges using Lego bricks
- Shimmery pink Slime Valentines recipe kids will love!
- Grab some pretty straw for this Valentine STEM activities
- Find lots of fun February Activities for kids here!
- EPIC Purple Slime Valentines Day Activities for Preschoolers
- Red Hot Valentines Slime recipe for kids
- Simple Oil and Water Valentines Day Science for kids
- Simple Dancing Conversation Hearts Experiment – Valentines day activities for preschoolers and kids of all ages!
Valentines Day Worksheets
Looking for more way to make learning fun during February? Kids will LOVE these Valentine’s Day themed, educational activities. Plus, all of these are free printables.
- Valentines Day Activities for Preschoolers – students will have fun getting valentines ready to “mail” while matching upper and lowercase letters while working on phonemic awareness and beginning sounds.
- Cute Find the Letter Valentine’s Day Worksheets with alphabet candy in the cookie jars
- ABC Hole Punch Valentines activities for preschool – kids will strengthen hand muscles while working on letter recognition
- H is for Heart Worksheets – practie tracing and writting the letter h.
- ABC Valentine Worksheets for Preschool and kindergarten – kids will have fun learning new vocabulary and practicing tracing upper and lowercase letters as they make their very own alphabet book.
- Alphabet Valentine Preschool Worksheets – with a free pritnable alphabet worksheet for each letter from A to Z, help kids work on letter recognition while decorating these heart cookies (pictured above)
- Valentines Alphabet game – kids will have fun matching upper and lowercase letter heart puzzles
- Grab some converstion hearst and our printable alphabet pages for a fun, hands-on Valentines Day activities for preschoolers
- Chocolate Sight Words Valentine’s day activities for preschoolers – matching activity to practice identifying and reading key sight words.
- Heart CVC Words Valentine activities for kindergarten– students will have fun practicing the sounds letters make while building CVC words with alphabet conversation hearts
- Color by Sight Word Valentine Worksheets – kids will have fun reading and gaining fluency with key sight words while revealing these mystery pictures
- Valentines Day Sight Words Mats – super cute, low prep activity for practicing bulding sight words
- Pre-writing Valentine Worksheets for preschool
- Practice a variety of math and literacy skills with these Free Valentine’s day worksheets for preschoolers! There are over 30 different sucte, clever activities for Toddler, Preschool, and Kindergarten age kids!
Valentines Day Math
- Free Valentines Day Color by Number – students will reveal hidden pictures as they color by number and work on number recognition
- Valentines Roll and Cover math activity for working on number sense
- Valentines Day Worksheets learning about symmetry with drawing prompts.
- Heart Penguin Skip Counting Strips – simple Valentine math for kindergartners
- Love Monster Ten Frame Valentines Day Math Activities
- Valentines Day Worksheets with Snap Cubes – with two levels of difficulty these cards help kids practice using logic and spatial reasoning
- Free Snap Cubes Template cards for valenties day
- Lock and Key valentines activities for kids – kids will have fun working on color recognition with this fun, Valentine’s Day matching game
- Valentine matching game printable – fun game to help kids work on number sense
- Count to 20 valentine math activities for preschoolers Clip Cards- kids will have fun practicing counting using a ten frame with this fun math activity for prek / kindergartners
- Chocolate Shape Preschool valentine games – kids will have fun practicing forming shapes with these chocolate shape playdough mats.
- Count to 10 Valentine math activities for preschoolers – young learners will have practicing counting sprinkles and matching the puzzles
- Super cute Valentine Roll and Cover Printable for preschoolers
- Count and Trace Valentine’s Day Counting Worksheets with conversation hearts
- Valentines Day Math Clip Cards – practice counting numbers 11-20 with these cute, low prep clip cards
- Printable Valentines Day Counting Cards – these cute Valentines Day Counting Cards are great for young learners
- Practice counting to 20 and tracing numbers as you prepare the mail in this February activities for preschoolers
Valentines Day Crafts & Activities
- 30 Fabulous February Crafts for kids of all ages
- Valentines Day Crafts for Kids – even more unique and creative heart crafts for kids
- Beautiful Valentines Art Projects – Matisse Style heart craft for kids
- 30 February Crafts for Kids – so many fun, clever crafts to fill the whole month of February
- Fingerprint Heart Tree is such a cute Valentine art and craft ideas for preschoolers
- Bear treat cup Valentines Day Craft is cute and practical too
- Valentine Cookie Bath for Kids
- Heart Sticker Valentine projects for toddlers – super cute and precious Valentines Day craft for kids
- Learn about famous artists with this beautiful Matisse Valentines Art Project
- 26 Valentines Day Projects for Kids to make with their hands
- 21 Conversation Heart Crafts for Kids – kids will have fun crafting with this traditional valentine candy
- Valentines Day Countdown Craft for kids
- H is for heart worksheeet and simple hand art craft
- Heart Mobile Valentine’s day craft ideas – super cute and simple craft for February
- Simple Salt Painting Valentines Day activities for preschoolers with free templates
- Cactus valentine craft – free printable valentine activities for preschoolers to cut and paste
- Heart Fish Craft for Valentines Day – kids will have fun cutting and pasting lots of hearts to make this adorable fish craft
- I spy Valentine Worksheet – this is a fun valentines day activity that also works on counting and visual discrimination at the same time
- Pencil Valentine Printable – super cute free printable “looking sharp” Valentine for kids
- Hugs and Kisses Tic-tac-toe Preschool Valentine
- Valentine coloring pages for preschool – kids will have fun improving coordination and strengthning fine motor skills with these pre writing pages.
- Free Valentines Day Pre-Writing Worksheets – fun way for kids to strenthen hand muscles and cordination with a fun February theme.
- Sunday school valentine crafts – perfect February craft for students learning about the ten commandments
- Simple, Free Valentines day coloring pages pdf – simple coloring pages perfect for toddler, preschool, and kindergartners
Valentines Day Printables
- February Stories for Kids – you will love that all the planning is done for you with our free printable calendars! Each day has a book and activity based on a fun holiday or special day!
- February Family Meal Planner – take all the work out of planning meals with our printable menu and grocery list!
- Grab these super cute valentine’s day coupons for your spouds or kids!
- Our kids favorite tradition! Grab these FREE printable Valentine Hearts on Bedroom Door to leave love notes for each other to read on February 14th!
- Free Printable Slime Valentines for classmates and friends
- Pencil Valentine Printable for kids to share
- Plus don’t forget to grab these valentine books for preschool or take a peak at our Preschool Valentine Ideas or our Valentines Day Theme for Elementary age students.