Looking for a pretty and simple valentines day science for February? Your toddler, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age chid will have fun with this easy milk science experiment. All you need is milk, dish soap, food coloring, and q-tips to try this fun and exciting valentines day activity!
Milk science experiment
I love simple since expeirments to help young children start to wonder, explore, and marvel at the world around them. But to keep the attention of toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarnters, and grade 1 students the science project needs to be easy-to-make, quick, and have a good WOW moment. THis milk and food coloring experiment fits all three! Try this milk science experiment at home, in the classroom or at your homeschool coop for a fun valentines day activities for kids!
Valentines Day Activity
You will love that there is virtually no prep for this activity for valentines day. Grab these common household materials and you are ready to try this valentines day experiment:
- clear pan (glass baking dish, glass pie pan, clear storage container, etc)
- full fat milk
- liquid food coloring
- liquid dish detergent (we used Dawn)
- cotton q tips
Magic milk experiment
Pour a thin layer of milk into a clean, clear container. We added some heart valentine’s day cookie cutters to make it extra fun for our valentines day theme.
Milk and food coloring experiment
Now add drops of valentine colored food coloring (red, pink, purple, etc.) all around the milk. Dip a q tip into clear dawn dish soap and touch it to a drop of food coloring for about 15 seconds. Watch as the WOW chemical reaction occurs and the color rushes out and looks like a pretty swirl.
touch q-tip soaked in dish detergent to food coloring and hold for 15 seconds.
Watch as the color pushes out, swirls, and makes beautiful patterns in the milk. SImple! When you are done simply pour it down the drain and run your pan and cookie cutters through the dishwasher.
Valentines Day Science
So what is happening? Milk is made up of fats (and protein and minerals). When the dish soap enters the milk the fat begins to break up. The soap molecules gravitate towards fat molecules in the milk. You can’t usually see this process, but the food coloring allows us to see the movement taking place. This works especially well if you can find non-homoginized milk, althought it works with any FULL FAT milk.
Looking for more fun preschool science experiments to try this February? Check out these ideas!
- Fizzy Love Potion – Valentines Day Science
- Oobleck Valentines Day Activity for Kids
- Layered Liquids Density Experiments for Valentines Day
- Glittery Purple Valentine Slime
- Balloon Valentines Day Science Experiment
- Salt Painting Valentines Day Activity
- Skittles Valentines Day Science Activities
- Valentines Day Magic Milk Science Experiment for Preschoolers
- EASY Static Electricity Balloon Experiment
- Practice shapes with this hands-on Valentines Day STEM Activities
- Fizzy Heart Science Project – Valentines Day Activities for Kids
- Conversation Heart Ooblek – FUN Valentines Day Activity for Kids
- Valentines Day Slime
- Oil and Water Valentines Day Activity for Preschoolers
- Density for Kids Science Experiment for Valentines Day
- Love Potion #9 Valentine’s Day Science Activity
- Add some Valentines Day Science with this super cool and EASY Dancing Hearts Experiment
- Try these FUN Valentine Science Experiments for kids of all ages
- Salt crystal hearts Science Experiment perfect for February
Valentines Day Worksheets
Looking for more way to make learning fun during February? Kids will LOVE these Valentine’s Day themed, educational activities. Plus, all of these are free printables.
- These Valentine’s day worksheets allow preschoolers to practice math and literacy with super cute printables that are NO PREP!
- Color by Letter to decorate these cookies with these fun Valentine Worksheets for Preschool
- Make your own Alphabet Book from A to Z with these Valentine’s Day Worksheets to color, read, and learn
- ABC Hole Punching for Valentines Day – preschoolers will have fun working on letter recognition as they use a hole punch with this free printable for February.
- Alpahbet Valentines – kids will have fun preparing Valentines with this fun activity that works on beginning sounds, tracing letters, and matching uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Rhyming Valentines cut and paste printables – these heart workshets are a fun way for kids to practice identifying rhyming words
- Valentines Day Math Clip Cards – practice counting numbers 11-20 with these cute, low prep clip cards
- Our kids favorite tradition! Print out these Valentines Day Printables and leave love notes for each other to read on February 14th!
- Pencil Valentine Printable – super cute free printable “looking sharp” Valentine for kids
- Sneak in some fun writing practice with these Febraury Writing Prompts Calendar
- Practice spelling with this fun, engaging and FREE Printable Valentine’s Day Spelling Activity
- Valentines Day I Spy Printable – this is a fun valentiens day activity that also works on counting and visual discrimination at the same time
- Practice sounding out and spelling short i words with this Heart themed spelling mats.
- Valentine’s Day ABC Hole PunchingActivity – kids will strengthen hand muscles while working on letter recognition
- Valentine sight word coloring pages – kids will have fun reading and gaining fluency with key sight words while revealing these mystery pictures
- A-Z Valentine’s Day Worksheets is fun for kids to practice making capital letters using conversation hearts!
- Practice forming simple words with this Kindergarten Valentines Day CVC word mats
- Make practicing preschool sight words fun with this Chocolate Box Valentine Activities for Preschoolers
- Count to 20 with these cute Valentine Math Clip Cards
- Practice counting to 10 with this Valentine Math Puzzles for pre-k
- Valentines Day Color by Number – students will reveal hidden pictures as they color by number and work on number recognition
- Free Valentine’s Day Tracing Worksheets for Preschoolers – kids will have fun working on hand muscles as they trace these common February items in these tracing worksheets.
- February Color by Number – work on number recognition as students reveal mystery pictures as they color.
- Count and Trace Valentines Day Worksheets with conversation hearts
- FUN, Self-checing Multiplication Valentine Math Activity for Kids
- Work on fractions, percent, and measurement with these Valentine Math Worksheets
- Color by Hundreds Chart Happy valentine’s day mouse activities
- Handy Valentines Day themed Odd and Even Numbers Worksheets
- Valentines Day Number Book – kids will have fun practicing counting with conversation hears as they make a free printable book.
- Kids will have fun practicing addition and subtraction with this clever,Valentine’s day math craft.
- Help kids work on symmetry for kids with these Valentine’s Day Worksheets
- Free Valentine’s day math worksheets – kindergartners will have fun practicing numbers to 100 while they reveal hidden images with these Valentines Day coloring pages
- Use snap cubes with this free printable Valentine Math activity for kindergarten and first graders
- Fun Lock and Key Color Matching Game for toddlers and preschoolers
- Work on making common shapes with these super cute Chocolate Shape Playdough Mats
Valentines Day Crafts for Kids
- Plus don’t miss these fun Valentines Books to cuddle up and read this February
- Heart Fish Craft for Valentines Day – kids will have fun cutting and pasting lots of hearts to make this adorable fish craft
- Fingerprint Hearth Tree Valentines Day Craft is super cute and such a precious keepsake craft
- Bear treat cup Valentines Day Craft is cute and practical too
- Red Hot Valentines Slime is so pretty and fun to play with!
- Try this EASY Chocolate playdough recipe to make your creations look like valentines day candy!
- Beautiful Valentines Art Projects – Matisse Style heart craft for kids
- Cactus valentine craft – this is such a fun cut and paste Valentines Day Craft for kids
- 30 February Crafts for Kids – so many fun, clever crafts to fill the whole month of February
- Don’t miss these fun February activities for kids
Looking for some cute and FREE printable valentines to share with your friends? Check out these homemade valentines for kids:
- Tic-Tac-Toe Printable Valentine Cards
- Pencil Valentine Printable
- Happy Slime-tines – Free Printable Valentines Day Cards