Looking for really fun beach activity for preschooler? This sand volcano experiment is not only a really cool thing to do on your summer vacation, but a fun summer science experiment too. This sandcastle volcano experiment is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders too. Plus, this summer activities for kids is super quick and easy with NO clean-up.
Sand Volcano Experiment
This sand volcano is a MUST TRY when planning your summer bucket list ideas! Not only is this beach activity loads of fun for a lazy day at the beach, but this summer science requires virtually no prep and just a couple simple materials. Try this easy volcano experiments on your family vacation to Florida, as a beach theme activity for your classroom, or a way to sneak in some fun summer learning in the sandbox. You will love that this sand activity for kids is quick and easy with virtually no clean-up! This is geared towards preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students.
All you need for this super simple summer science activity are a few simple materials:
- sand castle mold
- baking soda
- seashells (optional)
Beach Activities for Preschoolers
Start by making a sandcastle out of a mold. Dig out the center enough to put a plastic cup with baking soda. The exact measurements really don’t matter, just a cup give or take.
Making a Volcano
Next add some decorations if you like such as seashells you find on the beach, turn it into a sandcastle with some walls, add in some plast sea creatures, etc.
Now it’s time to play and learn! Let’s make your volcano ERUPT! Pour in vinegar until you get the leave of fizz you like, 1 -2 cups little by little to keep making it errupt.
Summer Science Experiments
Kids will giggle as they see their castle beign overtaken by foamy white bubbles as the chemical reaction occurs between the baking soda and vinegar.
We choose to leave the volcano white as it is more natural at the beach or sandbox with no clean-up, just pile sand on top. You can dye it, but again – the food coloring will tint your sand and is not great for the natural environment at the beach. Plus I think the white looks pretty striking.
Baking Soda and Vinegar Reaction
This is such a fun beach activity for families with kids of all ages. You will love how it is low prep with just 2 simple ingredients to bring with you to the beach.
Summer Activities for Preschoolers
With this fun summer STEM project you will learn about
- Engineering as you create a volcano – use container to create the best shape, what should the volcano hill look like
- Learn about physics and how when you trap the carbon dioide gas from the chemical reaction it builds pressure that foces the erruption and can affect sea shells and errosion
- Chemical reactions with our all time favorite reaction: baking soda (base) and vinegar (acid).
- Design the sand volcano to add art makig it STREM plus art
Baking soda and Vinegar Reaction Explanation
How cool is that! You will love that there is virtually no clean-up. Once you are done, just rinse your bucket in the ocean and cover up your volcano with more sand. Easy, peasy! If you aren’t heading to the beach this summer you can try this in your sand box too!
Looking for more fun kids activities and other ideas to keep kids engaged, learning, and having fun? Check out these:
- EASY Pool Noodle Race Track for Kids
- Mentos and Soda Experiment
- Rainbow Eruptions – Preschool Summer Activity
- Baking Soda Clay
- Scented Lemonade Playdough Recipe for Summer
- Amazing Baking Soda Slime
- 30 Homemade Bird Feeders to make
- EPIC Water Balloon Painting Activities
- Fun-to-Make DIY Foosball Table – Stem Project for kids
- Simple Popsicle Stick Catapult project for kids
- 100+ Zoo Animal Crafts
- Summer STEM Ice Boat Races
- Easy Marshmallow Shooter
- Heat Sensitivie Color Changing Slime Recipe
- 100 Exciting Year-Round Science Experiments for Kids
- Vibrant Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- Summer Experiment Melting Sandcastles Activity for Kids
- 25+ Water Balloon Games for Summer fun
- Outrageously fun Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
Things to Do with Kids
- Edible Peanut Butter Playdough
- Shape Recognition Activity for Kids
- Rainbow Painting with Cars
- Grass Head Summer Activity for Kids
- Printable Lego Activities for Kids
- Silly Bouncy Egg
- Easy Sand Volcano with NO clean-up
- Mind-Blowing Magnetic Slime
- Strawberry Scented Jello Playdough Recipe
- Snake Bubbles
- Beautiful Capillary Action Experiment
- Puffy Paint Recipes and Projects for Kids
- Kool Aid Watermelon Playdough
- LOTS of Fun Sidewalk Chalk Games
- 75+ Free Printable Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Exploding Paint Film Canister Science Art Project
Summer Activities for Preschooler
- Watermelon Squish Bag
- Simple Blooming Flowers Capillary Action Experiment
- Mow the Grass Alphabet Activity
- 4th of July Fireworks Craft
- Balloon Painting Art Project for Preschoolers
- Cute Suncatcher Sun Craft Preschool
- Puffy Paint Ice Cream Craft
- Summer pLaydough Mats
- Butterfly Pasta Craft
- Ice Cream Preschool Name Activity
- Sandcastle Number Tracing Summer Worksheets for Preschool