Oil and water don’t mix. This is scientifically proven and used as a phrase in normal, everyday language sometimes. There is literally no way to make it mix! But it can still lead to exciting learning opportunities and fun ‘magic’ to watch. This time we did holiday themed oil and water experiment to sneak in some fun learning in December. This easy Christmas science experiment is fun for toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students. This Christmas activities for preschoolers is the perfect way to get kids excited about science with a beautiful activity!
Christmas science experiments
Help toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners kids explore simple principles with this oil and water science experiment. This Christmas science experiment for preschoolers is sure to help get kids excited about science and make learning fun. Kids will be amazed as they start to understand that some substances do not mix with this Santa science experiments!
Let me first start out by saying that we tried this experiment with both red and green food coloring and it turned quickly into a gross brown color. So if you’re going for a brown colored oil and water experiment, just use red and green but if you’re looking for some fun Christmas colors, I would just choose one. We choose green!
Christmas Science Experiments Preschool
Start with an empty jar and add water. We added until the jar was about ¾ full.
In a separate bowl, mix oil and food coloring. It will separate, but you can stir it. Stirring will create more bubbles which will add to the experiment. Stirring isn’t required but it is way cooler when you do!
When you’re ready, add the oil mixture to the jar of water. At first it is going to look as though it has mixed together. Especially when the food coloring mixes through.
Then you’ll see the oil start to collect on top of the water. WHAT? The oil is literally floating on top of the water. It is fantastic.
Christmas science experiment
Then the beads of food coloring that didn’t mix in will start a show. It looks like Christmas fireworks. It also reminds me of a synchronized swimmer. Whatever it reminds you of, it gets a huge reaction from the kids. The food coloring bubbles start to melt and it is so beautiful!
Christmas Activities for Preschoolers
This is a simple experiment that doesn’t make a mess, doesn’t take a ton of time or energy. This is the perfect Christmas time experiment. We are all busy with the extra holiday things, and this is super exciting and so easy!
Free Christmas Worksheets
Looking for more fun Christmas themed, FREE printables for preschoolers in December? You will love these choices:
- Twas the night before christmas worksheets
- FREE Christmas Worksheets for Preschool
- Holiday Tree Letter Find Christmas Worksheets
- Free Christmas Alphabet Game
- Super cute Free Printable Christmas Worksheets for prek-2nd graders
- Gingerbread Christmas Alphabet Game
- Christmas Word Family Activities
- Make learning fun in December with this Santa’s Sleigh CVC Word Christmas Worksheets
- Fun-to-read Christmas books for preschoolers
- Gingerbread Alphabet Tracing – Christmas Activity for Preschoolers
- Holiday Gingerbread Sight Words – Christmas Activities for Kindergarteners
- These Christmas sight Word Games help kids work on reading fluency.
- Help kids work on color recognition with this Christmas Games for Preschoolers
- These Christmas Alphabet Printable Stockings are a fun way to practice writing alphabet letters
Christmas Activities for Kids
Looking for more free printable worksheets and epic Christmas Activities for kids? Check these out:
- FUN Rudolph Race Game
- Free printable Christmas Scavenger Hunt
- Christmas Worksheets for going around the world in December
- Free Christmas Games Pictionary
- BINGO – a printable Free Christmas Games
- 12 Days of Christmas Coloring Pages
- Fun to make Christmas Playdough Mats
- Growing Candy Canes – a magical Christmas Activity for kids with FREE printable!
- December Holiday Coloring Pages for Kids
- Christmas Name Craft and Activity for Preschoolers
- Christmas I Spy Printable Worksheets
- Gingerbread Activities for Preschoolers – weeks work of math, literacy, crafts, and more!
- Christmas Color by Number Worksheets
- Number Sense Puzzles for December Candy Cane Math
- Kids will have fun practicing patterns with this playdough lights Christmas Math Activities
- Do-a-Dot Elf Worksheets for preschoolers counting to 10
- Shape Gingerbread Worksheets for Christmas
- Practice Counting to 20 with these Christmas Tree Playdough Mats
- Gingerbread Man Dot to Dot Worksheets
- Count to 10 Twas the Night Before Christmas Activities – read, color & learn
Christmas Crafts for Preschoolers
- Bauble Christmas Ornament Craft with FREE Printables
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- Homemade Christmas Cards Ideas for Kids
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
- Construction Paper Christmas Wreath Craft Decoration for Kids
- Christmas Candle Craft for Kindergarten
- How Do you Make EASY Snow Clay for Christmas Ornament Crafts
- Easy Snowman Paper Craft
- 200 EPIC Christmas Crafts and Activities
- Amazing Puffy Snow Paint
- Easy Paper Strip Christmas Tree Ornament Craft
- Stunning Melted Crayon Ornaments
- 31 December Activities for Kids
- How to Make Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments
- Easy-to-Make Christmas Hat Template for Kids
- Snowman Handprint Ornament – super cute keepsake craft
Christmas science projects
Looking for more fun Christmas science ideas? Check these out!
- Beautiful Chromatography Christmas Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Christmas Science Lime Battery Electricity Experiment for Preschoolers
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- Magic Melting Peppermint Candy Christmas Science Experiment
- Fizzy Gingerbread Man Christmas Science Experiment
- Lots of Christmas Science Experiments Kids will love!
- Beautiful Borax Crystal Christmas Tree Science Experiment
- Melting Christmas Tree Science Experiment for December
- Rudolph Christmas Science Experiments
- Christmas Magic Milk Experiment
- Ornaments-Go-Round Christmas Science Experiments
- Gumdrops Ornaments Made with Christmas Science Experiment
- Gingerbread Puffy Paint Recipe
- Christmas Fluffy Slime Recipe
- Easy Candy Cane Science Experiment
- Simple Oil and Water Christmas Science Experiment
- Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Snow Volcano Science Experiment