Young kids not only love playing with play dough, but it is great for strengthening hand muscles, sensory activity, and exploring creativity too. This apple playdough is a quick and easy-to-make autumn playdough to enjoy in September. Use this fall playdough recipe with toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd graders too. Whether you use this apple playdoh as part of an apple theme or hands-on apple activities – this is sure to delight the senses!
This cinnamon playdough will delight the senses as kids work on motor skills and building hand muscles with an apple activity for kids. Use this fall playdough recipe in September when we are incorporating all things apple. This apple playdough recipe is such a fun project to make apples, apple pies, letters, numbers, and more. Try this apple activity for preschoolers, toddlers, kindergartners, grade 1, and more! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love incorporating this activity into you plans.
Apple playdough recipe
To whip up a batch of this playdough apple recipe yoou will need a few simple materials:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 Tablespoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup of water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- green and red food coloring
- Apple scented oil (optional)
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon spice (optional)
Add water and vegetable oil to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it starts to boil. Now remove from the stove top and add the flour, salt, creatm of tartar to the hot water and stir continuously until a stiff ball of dough forms.
Remove the play doh from the pot and place on your work space. Allow the playdough mixture to cool for 5 minutes. Now knead the dough until it is soft and pliable (about 3-4 minutes).
Apple scented playdough
Add in food coloring. We seperated our dough into 3 parts. I colored one part red, one part green, and left one part cream color.
Add enough food coloring to get the color you are looking for. You can make red delicious apples, granny smith green apples, golden delicious yellow apples, or mixed color Jazz apples too.
Now I encouraged my kids to form the dough into an apple shape. Not only is kneading and rolling the playdoh good for strengthening hand muscles and getting some important sensory and tactile play, but it is great for building confidence and having fun with an apple theme activity too.
Fall Activities for Preschoolers
Roll or pat the cream colored dough and make the inside of the apple’s creamy flesh with a border of the red around it. It’s like you’ve cut the apple in half.
Fall playdough recipe
Now add black beans or black beads to make the apple seeds. You could easily turn this into a hands-on apple activity to help kids practice counting. Tell the children a number and have them put the correct number of black seeds in the apple. Aren’t the too cute!?
Apple Activities for toddlers
WE also made just a plain green apple and used buttons to decorate our apple. THis was lots of fun for my youngest learners and could also be used for an apple counting activity. You could also do buttons of different colors to make addition equations with Kindergaten and first graders. Like 2 blue buttons plus 3 white buttons equals 5 buttons altogether.
Fall activity for toddlers
There are so mnay fun, creative ways to play with and decorate this apple activity using our quick and easy playdough recipe for kids!
You can also must make a ball, add a twig and leaft to creat a really simple, but cute apple.
- Red Apple Pie Slime Activities for Preschoolers
- Green Laffy Taffy Apple Slime
- Skittles Apple Science Experiment for Kids
- Melting Apple Science Experiment for September
- Simple Apple Science Experiment and Activity for September
- Scented Apple Playdough Recipe
- Green Laffy Taffy Apple Slime
- Yellow Fluffy Apple SLime
- Super Soft, No-Cook Apple Playdough for Fall
- Apple Volcano Experiment and Activity for Kids in September
- Apple Browning Experiment with FREE Oxidation Worksheet
Apple Crafts for Kids
- Cute Apple Handprint Craft for Kids – w/ free printable
- Easy Apple Core and torn paper Paper Plate Apple Craft
- Alphabet Lacing Apple Craft
- Clever Bubble Wrap Apple Craft
- Coffee Filter Apple Craft
- Awesome Apple Pie Playdough Recipe
- 3-in-1 Apple Activities for Toddlers
- Printable Apple Tray Counting and Writing
- Plus don’t miss this FUN Apple Crafts Preschool
- Stunning, Easy Apple Craft for Preschoolers and Kids
- Fun Paper Plate Apple Craft for kids
Looking for more fun apple and activities and free apple printables? You will love these apple activities for kindergarten and apple activities for preschoolers!
- Math Apple Worksheets (addition / subtraction)
- Super cute and FREE Apple Apple Worksheets Preschool
- Apple Roll and Cover Dice Game
- Printable Apple Math – Number Bonds Activity
- Hole-Punching, Count to 20 Apple Activities for Preschoolers – free printable
- Super cute Apple Playdough Mats to practice counting
- Apple Addition Coloring Worksheets
- Number Bonds Apple Math
- Apple Counting Worksheet
- Free Printable Multiplication Games
- Letter A Worksheets, printables, and games for kids
- Apple Themed Free Alpahbet Strip pdf Activity
- Alphbet Puzzles – Apple Activities for Preschoolers
- Hands-on Apple Sight Words Tree
- Synonyms and Antonyms Worksheets pdf with a fun Apple theme
- Apple Letter A Activity sorting upper and lowercase letters for pre-k and kindergarten
- Printable Apple Compound Words Worksheet
- Find the Letter Apple Tracing Worksheets
- A is for Apple Printable Book for working on beginning sounds – print in black and white or color
- Color the correct apples in these Nouns and Verbs Worksheets
- Apple Theme BUNDLE
- Free Apple Life Cycle Printable Pack
- Printable Apple Life Cycle Spinner
- Simple Johnny Appleseed Coloring Page
- Fun Johnny Appleseed Activities
- Free Printable Apple Experiment Worksheet
- Apple Stem Activity – Practical Engineering Challenge for Kids
- I Spy Preschool Apple Worksheets