This fun, hands on counting activity with Watermelon Worksheets is such a great way to sneak in some summer time math with preschoolers!
Practice counting with an engaging watermelon themed number worksheet for preschool. Whether you are a teacher, homeschool mom or public school mama, you will love this low prep activity that will keep your preschooler’s math skills sharp and entertain them while you try and sip your coffee. Parents will love that preschoolers will practice multiple math skills as they place the appropriate number of seeds on the watermelon.
Number Worksheet for Preschool
Math worksheets for preschoolers are usually dull and one dimensional. This counting activity is different. It involves a hands-on component that will engage kinesthetic learners who tend to be harder to reach. Feeling and touching the “seeds” (black beans) brings the worksheet to life and allows for deeper learning.
Preschool Math Skills
Your preschooler will be working on the following math skills while completing this preschool math activity.
- Number recognition – Number recognition is the ability to identify written numerals. This is primarily a memorization skill and requires practice.
- One-to-One Correspondence – 1:1 Correspondence is ability to recognize that each numeral represents a specific value. This is a conceptual skill that moves beyond memorization.
- Write a number or place a number magnet in the square.
- Invite your preschooler to place the appropriate number of “seeds”/black beans on the watermelon.
- Repeat with multiple numbers.
Counting Activity for Preschoolers
As moms and teachers we are looking for low prep activities that quick and easy but also engaging, fun, and developmentally appropriate. Number worksheets for preschool should be hands-on and involve manipulatives. This free printable is as easy as pulling a page out of a workbook, while still being interactive, making it perfect for busy moms and teachers. Plus, this activity is perfect for summer with the watermelon theme. Prevent the traditional “summer slide” with this free preschool counting worksheet.
Additional tips for teachers using this activity in a classroom, daycare, co-op, library, or summer camp setting.
- Laminate the printable for durability
- Use a dry erase marker on laminated sheet for ease and multiple uses
- Make this activity more challenging and appropriate for older students by writing number sentences in the square
Are you planning a watermelon theme this week? Don’t miss these fun ideas and free resources:
- Watermelon Seed Counting Playdough mats
- Rows and rows of Watermelon Number Lines
- Cute Watermelon Suncatcher Craft
- W is for Watermelon Hand Art Project
- Exploding Watermelon Science
- Watermelon Counting Book
- Hands-on Watermelon Alphabet Mats
- Watermelon All About Me Poster
- Count to 10 Watermelon Clip Cards
- Watermelon Theme for Preschoolers
Preschool Math Activities
Looking for more math activities for preschoolers? You will love these fun, free printable ideas and resources:
- Rainbow Number Activity
- Pirate Color by Number
- Dinosaur Number Recognition Game
- Robots & Gears Counting Activity
- Camping Counting Book
- Garden and Rainbow Preschool Activities
- Preschool Community Helpers Counting Activity
- Silly Worm Count to 10 with Stickers
- Number Tracing Sandcastles
Download Watermelon Counting Template
Before you download your Watermelon Counting Template, you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.