This fun, hands-on counting activity uses free printable Watermelon Worksheets to make learning fun with summer math. This watermelon activity is such a great way to sneak in some summertime, watermelon math with preschool, pre-k, toddler, and kindergarten age students. Simply print pdf file with watermelon printables and yo uare ready to work on seed counting!
Practice counting with an engaging watermelon themed number worksheet for preschool. Kids will be excited to pratice summer math for preschoolers, kindergartners, and toddlers with these cheery watermelon worksheets. All you need for this watermelon ativities are black beans, number magnets, and our free watermelon printables. Whether you are a teacher, homeschool mom or public school mama, you will love this low prep activity that will keep your preschooler’s math skills sharp and entertain them while you try and sip your coffee. Parents will love that preschoolers will practice multiple math skills as they place the appropriate number of seeds on the watermelon.
Math worksheets for preschoolers are usually dull and one dimensional. This counting activity is different. It involves a hands-on component that will engage kinesthetic learners who tend to be harder to reach. Feeling and touching the “seeds” (black beans) brings the worksheet to life and allows for deeper learning.
Preschool Math Skills
Your preschooler will be working on the following math skills while completing this preschool math activity.
- Number recognition – Number recognition is the ability to identify written numerals. This is primarily a memorization skill and requires practice.
- One-to-One Correspondence – 1:1 Correspondence is ability to recognize that each numeral represents a specific value. This is a conceptual skill that moves beyond memorization.
Print the pages in the template and set out with number magnets, pencil (or dry erase marker if you laminate the pages), and dried black beans or watermelon seeds for tactile hands on counting manipulative.
- Write a number or place a number magnet in the square.
- Invite your preschooler to place the appropriate number of “seeds”/black beans on the watermelon.
- Repeat with multiple numbers.
Counting Activity for Preschoolers
As moms and teachers we are looking for low prep activities that quick and easy but also engaging, fun, and developmentally appropriate. Number worksheets for preschool should be hands-on and involve manipulatives. This free printable is as easy as pulling a page out of a workbook, while still being interactive, making it perfect for busy moms and teachers. Plus, this activity is perfect for summer with the watermelon theme. Prevent the traditional “summer slide” with this free preschool counting worksheet.
Additional tips for teachers using this activity in a classroom, daycare, co-op, library, or summer camp setting.
- Laminate the printable for durability
- Use a dry erase marker on laminated sheet for ease and multiple uses
- Make this activity more challenging and appropriate for older students by writing number sentences in the square
Looking for another watermelon activity or two to make a week long watermelon theme or dive into the letter w is for watermelon? You will love these fun activities and free printables:
- Count playdough “seeds” with these adorable, Free Watermelon Printables
- Rows and rows of Watermelon Math Number Lines
- Cute Suncatcher Watermelon Craft
- W is for Watermelon HandArt Project
- Explode a Watermelon, Explore Potential Energy, and Disocver How Many Rubber Bands to Explode a Watermelon
- Work on Counting with these Watermelon worksheet
- Hands-on Alphabet practice with this Watermelon Activity
- Watermelon All About Me Poster
- Find the Letter Watermelon Worksheets
- Watermelon Printable Counting Clip Cards
- Free Watermelon seed counting Activity with printable
- Hands-on Watermelon Activity adding seeds with kids fingerprints
- Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Addition within 10 Watermelon Printable Math Activity
- Number Puzzles Watermelon Activities for Preschoolers
- Ryming Words Watermelon Activity
- Watermelon Letter Matching Game
- Fact Family Watermelon Worksheets
- Watermelon Life Cycle Spinner
- Plus don’t miss these Watermelon Activities
Preschool Math Activities
Looking for more math activities for preschoolers? You will love these fun, free printable ideas and resources:
- Rainbow Number Activity
- Pirate Color by Number
- Dinosaur Number Recognition Game
- Robots & Gears Counting Activity
- Camping Counting Book
- Garden and Rainbow Preschool Activities
- Preschool Community Helpers Counting Activity
- Silly Worm Count to 10 with Stickers
- Number Tracing Sandcastles
Watermelon Counting Template
Before you grab your Watermelon Counting Template, you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.