You’ve got to try this EPIC Jack-o-Lantern pumpkin volcano project! Kids will go nuts when the foam comes pouring out the silly carved pumpkin face in this halloween science experiments! I love teaching pumpkin science by using pumpkin activities to get kids eager to learn and engaged in science! I will show you how to make volcano. These pumpkin science experiments are a MUST try pumpkin STEM with preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders too.
Halloween Science Experiments
Help your children learn about chemical reactions with this outrageously fun and EASY halloween science experiment where they will make pumpkin volcanoes! In this simple pumpkin experiment children will use a chemistry experiment to cause a silly oozing of colored purple lava to flow out of every opening of your carved jackolantern. This halloween activity is perfect for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students too. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will want to add this pumpkin activity to your pumpkin theme or October activities for kids! I love seasonal stists on classic projects like this baking soda and vinegar experiment.
Pumpkin Science Experiments
All you need for theis fun halloween activity are a few simple materials you may already have on hand:
- pumpkin (s) – real or artificial, any size!
- Carving knife to cut out top, eyes, nose, and yes.
- 4 Tablespoons warm water
- food coloring
- 2 teaspoon rapid yeast
- 2 squirts of dish soap
- 1 cup hydrogen peroxide 6% or higher solution
- baking dish – to contain the experiment
You can use real pumpkins and cut open top and scoop out inside, but I prefer to skip the taking out all the guts part and use an artificial pumpkin from a local craft store. Have a responsible adult help use a knife to cut out a silly, spooky, or funny face. You can use any size pumpkin, just remember the bigger the pumpkin the more material you will need to get the huge WOW effect.
The erruption is so cool and dramatic your kids are going to flip! I much prefer the hydrogen perioxide and yeast recipe as it produces an abundant amount of foam. It just flows more smoothly and creates more of a WOW effect.
In a bowl put warm water and yeast, mix. Set bowl in the pumpkin (or dump in if you prefer). Add food coloring and hydrogen periodide and get ready for the yeast volcano fun!
The bubbles will come up over th etop, thorugh the eyes, out the nose, and silling out through the mouth. It truly is ridiculously cool and gross, and perfect for October! My kids went nuts and we found this years and hydrogen periode recipe creates such nice thick foam that impressed so much more.
The impressive chemical reaction between yeast and hydrogen periode is so much fun to watch. This is also known as elephant toothpaste as well. Then you can always start it all over with a new color! My kids wanted to do this again and again.
This is one really cool October science experiment that EVERYONE has to try at least once!
- Hole Punching Pumpkin Craft for Preschoolers
- 100 Pumpkin Crafts for First Grade
- Printable Hats make cute Fall Crafts for preschoolers – so many choices
- Beautiful Cardboard Tube Stamped Fall Tree Craft
- Cute Corn Wreath Craft for Kids
- Fun-to-Make Yarn Pumpkins Craft for Kids
- Paint Swatch Pumpkin Craft for Preschoolers
- Scented Pumpkin Puffy Paint Craft for Fall
- Halloween Jack-o-Lantern Craft for kids
- Silly Spider Name Craft Activity for Preschoolers with FREE Printable
- 31 October Crafts for Kids
- Turkey Pumpkin Seed Craft
- Gummy Worm Slime
- Octoboer Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun pumpkin activity and craft ideas to try this autumn? Check out these fun ideas:
- Create a Jack-o-Lantern with this amazing Scented Rice Pumpkin Activity
- 50 fun Pumpkin Activities
- Edible Peep Pumpkin Playdough
- Pumpkin Goop with real pumpkin guts!
- Rubberband Pumpkin Craft for kids
- EASY, Edible Pumpkin Cloud Dough
- Edible candy corn playdough recipe you MUST try!
- Amazing Spider SLime
Halloween Science Experiments
- Flying Film Canister Ghost Rockets
- Frankenstein’s Hand Halloween Science Experiment
- Quickly Growing Pumpkin Science Experiment
- This Why Do Leaves Change Color experiment is one of our favorite that is so simple and yet so clever!
- Jack-o-Lantern Pumpkin Volcano Halloween Science Experiments
- Errupting Halloween Pumpkin Volcano Science Experiments
- Not-so-Spooky Halloween Ghost Science Experiment
- Exploding Pumpkin Science Experiment for October
- Dissolving Candy Halloween Science Experiments
- Frankenworms Halloween Science Experiment
- Melting Pumpkins Science Experiment for October
- EASY Static Electricity Ghost Experiment
- Halloween Lava Lamp Science Experiment
October Science Printables
- Grab this free Pumpkin Life Cycle Worksheets pack to learn about the life cycle of pumpkins
- Bat Life Cycle Worksheets
- Free Spider Life Cycle Worksheets
- Worm Worksheets – practice math, alphabet, literacy, and more!
- Growing Worms Observation Book
- All About Worms Worksheets
- Work on number bonds to 10 with these pumpkin math worksheets for kindergarten and grade 1
- Super cute pumpkin counting activity piling the “whip cream” on the pie slice
- Work on 0ne-to-one correspondence with this pumpkin math for Kindergarten
- Grab these Pumpkin Addition Worksheets for a no prep math activity for young learners
- Practicing Counting with Pumpkin Seed Counting Activity
- Practice making shapes with these pumpkin shapes printable playdough mats
- Pumpkin Pie Number Sense pumpkin activity for preschoolers
- Work on counting, adding on, and using a number line with this pumpkin counting activity
- Hands on Pumpkin Shape Matching Games for Preshoolers
- Trace numbers and work on 1:1 correspondence with this pumpkin math activity for pre-k
- Adorable Pumpkin preschool pie craft for practicing counting!
- Pumpkin Shapes Printable game for kids
- Trace and Erase to practice again with this handy Pumpkin Printable Letter Tracing strips
- Practice sight words with this fun Pumpkin Game
- This find the letter pumpkin worksheets for preschool
- Kids will love this phonics Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten where they will work on beginning sounds to put together these alphabet puzzles.
- Pumpkin Letters for tracing alphabet with a dry erase marker or playdough
- Practice reading with these cute, clever and FREE Word Family Sliders Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten
- Improve reading with this fun Word Family Pumpkin Activity for Kindergarten
- These super cute Pumpkin Letters and sounds puzzles allow children to practice letter tracing as well as working on beginning sounds
- Sneak in some fun practice with these homophone puzzle pumpkin activities
- You’ll love these no-prep Pumpkin Worksheets where students will color by vowels
- These Pumpkin worksheets and printable activities work on rhyming skills to improve reading and spelling
- Find the Letter Alphabet Pumpkin Worksheets
- Printable October Writing Prompts
Candy Corn Activities
Looking for more candy corn activities for kids? You will love all these creative ideas!
- Free Candy Corn Words
- Candy Corn Edible Playdough
- Addition and Subtraction Candy Corn Math
- Phonics Puzzles with a fun Candy Corn Theme for Fall
- 28 Candy Corn Activities for Kids
- EPIC Candy Corn Popsicle Stick Catapults
- Candy Corn Multiplication and Division Puzzles
- Counting Candy Corn Puzzles
- Candy Corn Turkey Count and Trace
- Free Printable Candy Corn Alphabet Mats