Kids will be excited to practice math with this fun, Marshmallow Ten Frame Activity. Grab a bag of mini marshmallows and our free printable!
Ten Frame Activity
If your kiddo is like most children, they love marshmallows! Not sure if it is the big, white, fluffy look or the sweet melty flavor, but kids love marshmallows. During the year we like to use them to make Rice Krispie Treats and during the summer we love to roast them over a campfire and make smores.
Did you ever think of using marshmallows for an educational learning activity? They are a great counting manipulative for early math or for a STEM activity building with marsh mallow and toothpicks. Today, I wanted to share a fun, hands on Ten Frame Activity you can print and use with mini marshmallows.
Get ready for a fun, summer activity for preschoolers, toddlers, and kindergartners. It’s time for marshmallow math!
Ten Frame Printable
The pages are in color as they are just cuter that way. If you are a teacher using this activity in a classroom you may want to laminate the sheets to use over and over in a math center. For parents, nannies and homeschoolers – laminating will allow you to use a dry erase marker to complete the addition equations and wipe off when you are done. You don’t have to laminate the sheets, buy if you don’t you can only use the addition part once using a crayon, marker, or pencil. Use whatever makes sense for your family make up.
Now cut each sheet in half to make 2 addition cards. You now have 10 different marshmallow ten frame printables – one for each number 0-10.
Ten Frame Math
Each card features super cute clipart marshmallow bag with a 10 frame below it. To the right is an addition equation.
To complete this simple, summer math activity your child will add mini marshmallows to the ten frame so that you fill up the grid. Now you have ten marshmallows.
Now have your child count the happy face marshmallows that were in the ten frame to start with. Notice that number is included in the equation to the right. Next, count the number of marshmallows you needed to add to complete the ten frame. Write that number in the box to the right. Finally count how many marshmallows you have all together.
HINT: All the cards add up to 10 because we are doing addition to 10 on a ten frame. 🙂
Addition Within 10
There are two options for this math activity for preschoolers:
- Simpler cards – These addition cards have the beginning number and the total. Students only need to fill in the number of mini marshmallows they needed to add to make 10.
- If you have a pre k or kindergarten age child, the second set of cards have the first number for students to trace. They will need to write in how many marshmallows they needed to add to the ten frame. Finally, they will need to write the sum.
Summer Activities for Printables
Looking for more fun, hands on, and educational activities to do with preschool kids this summertime? Try these ideas:
- Summer Handwriting Worksheets
- Popsicle Count & Clip Cards 1-10
- Summer Preschool Worksheets
- Summer Number Preschool Worksheets
- First Day of Summer Printable Hat
- Summer Preschool Sight Word Games
- Alphabet Tracing Popsicles
- Letter Tracing Sandcastles
- Ice Cream Patterns for Kids
- Summer Sun Alphabet Tracing
- Color Sorting Ice Cream Activity
- Ice Cream Task Cards
Ten Frame Cards
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use only (to share please direct others to this post to download their own set!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!