These Ice Cream Task Cards for Preschool Math help introduce preschoolers to the concept of addition while having fun with playdough!
Ice Cream Task Cards for Preschool Math
These free printable addition cards are such a fun way to introduce the concept of adding to things in a gentle, hands on activity perfect for preschool math and kindergarten math! This activity can be done with playdough or using large pom poms!
Preschool Hands-on Math Activities
This activity is a gentle introduction to preschool addition with a hands on ice cream addition activity using playdough! There are lots of extensions depending on your child’s age and interest.
Basically students will use the ice cream cone addition mat as a base to add their playdough ice cream scoops. Then preschoolers will look at one of the ice cream task cards to see what to scoop on the cone. This example shows 1 brown scoop and 1 pink scoop. Students will roll balls of playdough to represent each scoop and stack them on the cone.
Make this activity extra educational by narrating what they are doing using math terms. You have 1 chocolate scoop and are adding 1 strawberry scoop. Now you have 2 scoops altogether. Then pointing the scoops say 1 plus 1 equals 2. You have 2 scoops of ice cream on your cone. Pretty soon your young learner will start carrying on their own narrative using the new vocabulary you have given them.
For older preschoolers or kindergartners completing this math activity you can choose to use the simple ice cream task cards or the task cards that show the addition math equation on the side.This preschool summer learning activity makes math fun with a hands on ice cream addition activity.
- Use the simple addition cards and then once they’ve completed the hands-on activity see if they can find the equation task card that matches their problem
- Set out the ice cream cone and playdough balls while narrating the equations. Now have students figure out what task card matches the activity.
- Have students play a matching game to put together the pair of task cards that set out the same equation.
Ice Cream Printables
If you are looking for more ice cream activities to add to your ice cream theme of summer learning, check these out!
- AMAZING, Edible Play Doh Ice Cream Recipe that scoops like ice creaam!
- Ice Cream Themed, Summer Bucket List Ideas
- Work on tracing letter with these free printable Ice Cream Alphabet
- Delicious Ice Cream Alphabet Puzzles to help kids practice matching upper and lowercase letters
- Plus check out these Ice Cream Alpabet Playdough Mats
- Practice adding to to with these cute Ice Cream Make 10 Game
- Cute, Hands-on Ice Cream Number Bonds Practice
- Printable Digraph Activity scooping Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Compound Words Activity
- Count to 20 as you Build your Ice Cream Math Sundae
- TONS of cute Ice Cream Craft Preschool
- Simple Ice Cream Coloring Pages
- Fun and EASY How to Make your own Ice Cream in a Bag
- Scoop up Ice Cream Counting Printable
- Ice Cream Math Game Book Based Activity for Kindergartners
- I is for Ice Cream handart project for kids
- Practice completing patterns with this FUN Ice Cream Pattern Printable
- Fun Ice Cream themed Shape Playdough Mats
- FUN Ice Cream Place Value Activity fo kindergarten and first graders
- Or scoop a sunday with this Place Value Activity for grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students
- Cut and paste sentences with this Sentence Scrambles to make your own Ice Cream Reader for pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students
- Practice adding Ice Cream scoop endings to words with this suffixes activity
- Color Matching Ice Cream Activity
- Try our delicious and EASY homemade vanilla ice cream
- Or whip up some ice cream this winter with this outrageously fun and super YUMMY How to Make Snow Ice Cream
- Practice Addition with this Ice Cream Math task cards using playdough!
- Cute Ice Cream I Spy Worksheet
- Make practicing math fun with these fun Ice Cream Math Worksheets
- Simple Ice Cream craft using washi tape for toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartners.
- Fun-to-Make, Printable Ice Cream Math Craft
- Summer activities for preschoolers making Popsicle Alphabet Puzzles
- Ice Cream Division Puzzles make practicing math FUN
- Popsicle Count to 10 clip cards are a fun, educational Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Trace the Letters on the Alphabet Popsicles in this Summer Activity for Preschoolers
- Work on Number Sense with these Counting Summer Activity for Preschool Puzzles
- 2 ingredient Gummy Bear Popsicles are so COLORFUL and EASY!
Download Ice Cream Task Cards
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to download their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!