Let’s learn about the tiny, yet numerous world of bugs with this Bees & Insects Preschool Theme! Children will have fun with these engaging, fascinating, and educational activities for toddlers, preschoolers, prek, and kindergartners.
Insect Theme for Preschoolers
Children are fascinated with creepy, crawly bugs and insects! The world is like a giant I Spy game for toddler, preschool, pre k, and kindergarten age kids. They look for them on the grass, pavement, trees, plants, and in the house. Kids just seem to be drawn by these multileg fascinating animals that are so small, but unique from the larger animals we see at the zoo.
Unlike moms who are grossed out by finding a spider or bug, kids get excited to catch them – want to to keep them – and investigate. This fun Insect Theme for Preschoolers draws on students natural interest to keep them engaged in learning all week long. Whether you are a parent, teacher, homeschooler, or daycare – you will love this list of free ideas and bug activities to keep kids learning while having fun!
Insect Preschool Theme
To start of your insect lesson plans for preschool, grab some fun-to-read and educational books from the library or your favorite book source. Use one of these two options for using books in your bees and insects theme:
- Read a different book each day of the week, Monday through Friday.
- Or read your favorite book each of the week. Don’t worry about boring your kids as they love repetition so don’t worry about boring them!
Insect Books for Preschoolers
Pick one or all of these 5 excellent books to read with your preschoolers.
You will love adding one of these bug crafts to your week!
- Turn a paper plate into a butterfly
- Make a paper plate ladybug
- Fun-to-make Butterfly Craft
- Try this fun paper plate bee craft
- Create spring cards: bee, butterfly, and ladybug
- Make a fun and easy bee puppet
- Create bee finger puppets
- Put together a coffee filter butterfly
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Craft
- Your kids will love making this beautiful dragonfly craft
- Try on this bug-eye mask craft for kids
- Make a pipe cleaner bee
- Put together a toilet paper roll bee
- Put together a bee life cycle craft
- Try making this easy peg dragonfly
Insect Math Activities
- Play a bee counting game
- Complete these bee math worksheets
- Practice measuring bugs
- Play a catch 20 bugs game
- Color a free count to 10 bugs coloring book
- Try a count to 30 bugs activity
- Play a honey bee color matching game
- Practice counting bees with fun worksheets
- Play a bumblebee addition game
- Try ECO-friendly math games with DIY Bee math counters
- Fill out busy bee count and graph worksheets
- Read a bug sight reader together
- Make a letter bug busy bag
- Prepare for writing with this fun prewriting bug printable
- Learn to draw bugs with a fun writing activity
- Strength your child’s fine motor skills with an insect fine motor pack
- Play an alphabet match game with a spider theme
- Make a bee corner bookmark
Insect Activities for Preschoolers
Looking for fun, clever bug activities for preschoolers? Try these!
- Ladybug Life Cycle Activities
- Make a pattern block beehive
- Explore pollination with a fun science experiment
- Try a handprint life cycle of a butterfly activity
- Make a pitfall trap to study insects
- Your kids will love these bug action movement cards
- Cut and paste with this fun ladybug activity
- Dance and communicate like bee
- Make a bug hotel
- Bugs I spy worksheets)
- Butterfly Life Cycle Theme Worksheets
- Bee Do-a-Dot Printables
- Bee Sudoku
- Insects Printables Pack
- Insects Bingo
- Bugs and Beetles Coloring Pages
- Printable Butterfly Life Cycle Coloring Book
- Honey Bee Life Cycle Worksheets
Preschool Theme Ideas
Looking for more preschool themes? You will love our ever growing themes complete with themed crafts, activities, math, literacy, and more ideas!