Nothing says summer like a fun camping trip to explore nature and sleep under the stars. These books about camping for preschoolers are fun-to-read and perfect to introduce your child to the adventurous world of camping for kids. These cute camping books for toddlers, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first graders, and elementary age students are great for a camping theme or a summer theme for pre-k too!
Camping books for preschoolers
Camping can be a fun experience for families and groups of friends. This list of camping books for preschoolers is a great way to introduce camping to little ones. From children’s camping books featuring stories with their favorite characters to stories outlining how to prepare for a camping trip, there are lots of camping books for kids will enjoy! These books about camping for preschool, toddler, kindergartners, and up are perfect for summer reading books! Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this fun summer book list for preschoolers!
Camping books for toddlers
The Little Book of Camping by Zack Bush, Laurie Friedman and Sarah Van Evera shares easy tips for little readers who want to learn how to camp. Whether they are camping indoors or outdoors, the simple text and cute illustrations teach readers the basics of camping.
Llama Llama Loves Camping by Anna Dewdney is based on an episode of the animated show inspired by Dewdney’s book series. The story follows Llama Llama and his friends as they go on their first camping trip.
Pete the Cat Goes Camping by James Dean and Kimberly Dean joins the beloved cool cat as he goes camping and wonders if the mysterious Bigfoot is real.
Good Night Campsite by Adam Gamble and Mark Jasper is a camp themed entry in the Good Night Our World series of books. The simple text offers good morning and good night wishes to kids, animals, and parts of nature around the campsite, and highlights some of the fun traditions of camping.
Curious George Goes Camping by H.A. and Margaret Rey follows the silly monkey as he tries out all the traditions of camping while on a trip with the Man in the Yellow Hat. From roasting marshmallows to setting up a tent, Curious George finds ways to still get into a little mischief.
Fred and Ted Go Camping by Peter Eastman is a funny book of opposites that shares the camping adventures of Fred and Ted, two dogs who do everything a little differently.
Froggy Goes to Camp by Jonathan London and Frank Remkiewicz follows the hilarious little frog as he heads to camp. The story shares the best parts of his week, as well as the funny incidents that kids expect from the Froggy series.
Maisy Goes Camping by Lucy Cousins tells the story of Maisy the mouse and her friends sharing a tent on their camping trip. The easy to read text is accompanied by simple cartoon illustrations.
Books about camping for preschoolers
Biscuit Goes Camping by Alyssa Satin Capucilli and Pat Schories joins Biscuit the dog as he helps set up a camping adventure. The simple text reviews some of the steps necessary to setting up camp, as well as the fun camping traditions that Biscuit partakes in.
A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee by Chris Van Dusen tells the hilarious adventure of Mr. Magee and his dog Dee as they attempt to go on a peaceful camping trip, but run into trouble when their camper starts careening down the mountain.
The Night Before Summer Camp by Natasha Wing and Mindy Pierce is a spin on the beloved Christmas poem. following one little boy who is afraid of attending his first day of summer camp.
Amelia Bedelia Goes Camping by Peggy Parish and Lynn Sweat joins the mixed-up housekeeper as she attempts to go camping for the first time. Kids will love the way Amelia Bedelia misinterprets the camping plans with hilarious results.
Scaredy Squirrel Goes Camping by Melanie Watt shares how Scaredy Squirrel has to face his fear of leaving the house, and learns that the outdoors isn’t as scary as he thought.
The Camping Trip by Jennifer K. Mann follows a young girl as she goes camping with her aunt and her cousin, and discovers that there is a lot of fun to be had on a camping trip if you step outside your comfort zone.
Children’s camping books
C is for Camping by Greg Paprocki is an alphabet book that introduces kids to camping vocabulary with very simple text and illustrations with a vintage style.
Pony Scouts: The Camping Trip by Catherine Hapka and Anne Kennedy follows a group of pony loving kids as they start their days at summer camp.
The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp by Stan and Jan Berenstain join the bear cubs as they head to camp for the first time. The story touches on some of the fun activities at summer camp, as well as the apprehension that some kids may feel about camping for the first time.
Good Night Lake by Adam Gamble and Harvey Stevenson is a summer themed addition to the Good Night Our World series of books. The simple text and sweet illustrations bid good morning and good night to all the animals and sights around a lake on a summer day.
P.J. Funnybunny Camps Out by Marilyn Sadler and Roger Bollen follows P..J. and his friends as they head out on a camping trip after telling the girls they can’t join them. They learn an important lesson when they get scared all the way home by some interesting ghosts.
Just Me and My Dad by Mercer Mayer joins Little Critter and his dad as they enjoy a camping trip together, canoeing, fishing, and more.
Do Princesses Make Happy Campers? by Carmela LaVigna Coyle and Mike Gordon is a fun rhyming book that follows Princess and her family as they head out on a camping trip. The rhyming text uses a question and answer format, and is paired with funny illustrations that kids will love.
Don’t Feed the Bear by Kathleen Doherty and Chip Wass is a hilarious tail following an escalating war of words between a hungry bear and a park ranger. Kids will love the funny story and even sillier illustrations.
Daniel Goes Camping by May Nakamura and Jason Fruchter invites readers to join the beloved Daniel Tiger as he heads out on a camping adventure. Together with his dad, he pitches a tent, goes on a hike, and more!
Goodnight, Campsite by Loretta Sponsler and Olga Shevchenko explores the many types of camp options for families through a rhyming text and cute illustrations.
Ninjas Go Camping by Mary Nhin is a part of the Ninja Life Hacks series of books for kids. This story follows Anxious Ninja as he heads out on a camping trip with his family and learns how to face new experiences with a handy trick.
Camping Activities for Preschoolers
If you are looking to make a week of camping themed, smores activities, don’t miss these great resources:
- Letter C Printables for pre k to work on math, literacy, science, social studies, and more!
- Sneak in some fun math with these camping worksheets
- Count to 15 with these camping worksheets for preschoolers
- HUGE pack of camping worksheets with math and litearcy
- Smores Camping Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Printable Camping Scavenger Hunt for Kids
- Cute Camping Name Craft for Kids
- Marshmallow Ten Frame Activity
- Camping Tracing Worksheets to improve fine motor skills
- S’Mores Rhyming Words Activity
- Fun, no prep CAMPFIRE GAMES
- Lots of tips for camping with kids
Summer worksheets for kindergarten
Looking for more fun, summer theme educational activities for prek and kinders? Check out these free summer printables!
- Summer Letter Matching Alphabet Puzzles
- Learn about life cycles with these ladybug life cycle worksheet
- Garden Kindergarten sight Word Activities
- Pail and Shovel Matching Letter Game for Summer
- I Spy Pirate Game
- Summer Handwriting Worksheets
- Hands-on Ice Cream Compound Word Activity
- Garden theme Telling Time Worksheets
- Seed FInd the Letter Summer Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Summer Lego Challenge
- Water Gun Parts of Speach Game
- Playdough Counting Mat Activity with Watermelon Seed Printable
- Summertime Dot Art Printables
- Free Printable Beach Worksheets
- Cute Flip Flip Letter Matching
- Bubble Math Worksheets
- Strawberry Picking Summer Rhyming Activity
- Playdough Ice Cream Pattern Printable Activity
Summer Worksheets for Kids
- Smores Kindergarten Math Worksheets
- Smore complete sentence game
- Marshmallow Ten Frame Activity
- Cute Summer Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Fun Summer Color by Number pages to work on number recognition and hand muscles
- Work on writing with these June Writing Prompts
- Seachell Color Playdough Mats – fun summer activities for preschoolers
- Convenient Summer Writing Prompts with ruled lines and pictures to color
- Pool Summer Worksheets for Preschoolers
- HUGE pack of Garden Worksheets to practice a variety of math and literacy skills
- Summer Number Recognition Coloring Worksheets
- Cute Watermelon Seed Counting Worksheet
- Skip Counting Summer Worksheets
- Simple, Free Beach Coloring Pages
- Summer Activity Pages
- Seashell Alphabet Matching Activity
- Firefly Math Printable Counting Game
- Free Summer Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Sight Word Mazes – Summer Worksheets for Kindergarten
- Sun Summer Tracing Worksheets
- Pool Count and Trace Summer Activities for Kindergarten
- Sandcastle Letter Tracing Summer Activities for Kindergarten
In between reading a good book, sneak in some epic fun with these summer activities for kids of all ages:
- 107 Fun Summer Activities
- How to Make a Lava Lamp
- Frozen Rainbow Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Water Balls Summer Activity
- Camping Activity Book, Camping Printable Pack, Printable Camping Resources
- Pipe Cleaner Constellations
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- June Activity Calendar
- Exploding Watermelon Science
- Homemade Bubble Solution for GIANT Bubbles
- How to Make Chalk for Summer FUN
- Silly Grass Craft for Kids
- Printable SUmmer Crafts for Preschoolers
Preschool Book Lists
If you are looking for more fun-to-read preschool book lists with picture books picked out for your preschoolers, don’t miss these great picks:
- Construction Books for Preschoolers
- 100th Day fo School Books for kids
- Best Snowman Books for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners
- Fun-to-Read Penguin Books for Preschoolers
- Romping and Roaring Dinosaur Books for kids
- Cute Preschool Shape Books
- Apple Books for Preschoolers that are perfect for September
- Check out these summer books for preschoolers
- Creepy, Crawly Books about Insects for Preschoolers
- Discover lots of Color Books for Preschool kids
- Hop on over to read these silly Frog Books for Preschool
- These Easter Books for Preschoolers are sure to be new favorites
- Celebrate the arrival of spring with these spring books for preschoolers
- Preschool Books about Family you’ll love reading
- So many lovely flower books for preschoolers
- Silly and Fun Animal Books for Preschoolers
- In February you’ll love reading these Valentine Books for Preschool
- Not-so-chilly Winter Books for Preschoolers
- Perfect for the holidays Christmas Books for preschoolers
- Make some friends in these cute Farm Books for Preschool
- Teach kids to give thanks with these inspiring Thanksgiving Books for Preschoolers
- Enjoy Autumn cuddling up reading one of these fall books for preschoolers
Plus don’t miss our MANY preschool worksheets, fun alphabet printables, hands-on preschool math, clever ideas to learn colors, complete preschool themes, lots of playdoh mats, cute preschool crafts, and fantastic preschool books on our Preschool Play and Learn website.