Oh My goodness, if you haven’t tried this maple syrup snow candy before, it is a must. Kids will be giddy because this snow candy is super quick and EASY to make. Plus this Snow Activity for Kids makes such yummy maple syrup taffy that is as fun as it is delicious. Playing in the snow is fun, no matter what you are doing, but having a purpose and delicious result is even more exciting. Let me tell you exactly how to make Snow Candy with your toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grader.
Maple syrup snow candy
Not only is maple syrup snow candy super easy, it is quick too. From beginning to end, each piece of candy can be made in less than a minute. Seriously! There is no prep and very little clean up (because you can make it outside!). So as you are looking for a fun winter activity for kids as something to do with lots of snow – you’ve got to make snow candy! This maple snow candy is fun for the whole family from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students!
So what do you need to make this maple candy snow are the following items;
- Maple Syrup
- A Spoon
What maple syrup? I don’t think it matters. We used what we had in the cupboard and it worked perfectly the first time.
Snow candy recipe
Grab the syrup and a spoon and head outside. If it is too cold to be outside, grab a big bowl full of snow and take it back inside.
All you have to do is make sure there is a significant amount of snow, at least a couple inches. This is because the maple syrup will start to sink, all on it’s own, and you don’t want it to sink down onto the table or bowl, you want it to stay in the snow.
Maple Syrup on Snow
Once you have made a mound of your snow, take the maple syrup and pour or squirt some in the snow. The first couple times we just squeezed it into one spot, like a ball. One of the last times, though, we made a circle design with it.
When you squeeze it in, it will start to sink, let it go. It will stop as it hardens. Once it starts getting hard, we used the spoon to move it around in the snow. It reminded me of when people make taffy. It’s not exactly the same, but the pulling motion was similar. We mixed the maple syrup around in the snow until it was almost solid.
You can pull it out and it is no longer a sticky mess like syrup is. It’s like a piece of taffy that sat out in the sun all day. So it would still be considered a liquid, but not so much that it runs down your fingers.
Winter Activity for Preschoolers
At this point, you can go ahead and taste the maple syrup taffy! It tastes like maple syrup, but the texture is completely different. It is smooth and creamy almost, but it also melts in your mouth, like chocolate does.
Maple syrup candy experiment
It is so delicious and as you can tell, so easy. The only clean up we had was to wash our hands and clean off the spoon. That’s it. There is literally no other mess. Unless you could the puddles around our boots from the snow melting.
Looking for more yummy snow recipes? Take your snow candy to a whole new level with this quick, homemade maple candy! Or whip up one of our family favorites – snow ice cream is quick to make and seriously tasty!
Winter Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Try this epic winter science experiment making a snow volcano
- Maple Syrup on Snow Candy
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- Snowstorm in a jar winter science for preschoolers
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Magic Melting Snowballs – Winter Science Experiment
- DIY Icicle Ornaments for kids
- Paint Swatch Tree Winter Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity
- Erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
Preschool Winter Crafts
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- FUN Snowman Launcher – Winter Activities for Preschoolers
- Construction Paper Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids this Winter
- Bauble Christmas Ornament Craft with FREE Printables
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources! Plus don’t miss these winter books for preschoolers.
- Free Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Snowflake Counting Worksheet and activities
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find snow worksheets
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Mitten letter matching printable
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Alphabet igloo printable puzzles for pre-k and kindergartners
- Polar Bear Winter Literacy activities for preschoolers
- Count to 10 Preschool Snowman Craft
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Cute Shape Puzzles – Snowman Activities for Preschoolers
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Hands-on Snowman button counting
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Winter Activities for Preschoolers
- Snowman winter math activities for preschoolers
Winter Activities for Preschoolers
- Cute winter playdough mats for kids
- Snowball counting activity for preschool winter themes
- Free snap cube pattern cards for winter
- Alphabet Winter Worksheets for Preschool
- Snowglobe Counting – winter math activities for preschoolers
- Snow Theme Preschool