Oh My goodness, if you haven’t tried this maple syrup snow candy before, it is a must. Kids will be giddy because this snow candy is super quick and EASY to make. Plus this Snow Activity for Kids makes such yummy maple syrup taffy that is as fun as it is delicious. Playing in the snow is fun, no matter what you are doing, but having a purpose and delicious result is even more exciting. Let me tell you exactly how to make Snow Candy with your toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grader.
Maple syrup snow candy
Not only is maple syrup snow candy super easy, it is quick too. From beginning to end, each piece of candy can be made in less than a minute. Seriously! There is no prep and very little clean up (because you can make it outside!). So as you are looking for a fun winter activity for kids as something to do with lots of snow – you’ve got to make snow candy! This maple snow candy is fun for the whole family from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students!
So what do you need to make this maple candy snow are the following items;
- Maple Syrup
- A Spoon
What maple syrup? I don’t think it matters. We used what we had in the cupboard and it worked perfectly the first time.
Snow candy recipe
Grab the syrup and a spoon and head outside. If it is too cold to be outside, grab a big bowl full of snow and take it back inside.
All you have to do is make sure there is a significant amount of snow, at least a couple inches. This is because the maple syrup will start to sink, all on it’s own, and you don’t want it to sink down onto the table or bowl, you want it to stay in the snow.
Winter Activity for Kids
Once you have made a mound of your snow, take the maple syrup and pour or squirt some in the snow. The first couple times we just squeezed it into one spot, like a ball. One of the last times, though, we made a circle design with it.
When you squeeze it in, it will start to sink, let it go. It will stop as it hardens. Once it starts getting hard, we used the spoon to move it around in the snow. It reminded me of when people make taffy. It’s not exactly the same, but the pulling motion was similar. We mixed the maple syrup around in the snow until it was almost solid.
You can pull it out and it is no longer a sticky mess like syrup is. It’s like a piece of taffy that sat out in the sun all day. So it would still be considered a liquid, but not so much that it runs down your fingers.
Snow Activity for Kids
At this point, you can go ahead and taste the maple syrup taffy! It tastes like maple syrup, but the texture is completely different. It is smooth and creamy almost, but it also melts in your mouth, like chocolate does.
It is so delicious and as you can tell, so easy. The only clean up we had was to wash our hands and clean off the spoon. That’s it. There is literally no other mess. Unless you could the puddles around our boots from the snow melting.
Looking for more yummy snow recipes? Take your snow candy to a whole new level with this quick, homemade maple candy! Or whip up one of our family favorites – snow ice cream is quick to make and seriously tasty!
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Make a simple snow volcano or a multi-colored Snow Volcano to sneak in a Winter Science Experiment
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity
- Erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
Snowman Activity for Preschool
- Easy Circle Sticker Snowman Craft
- Plastic Cup Snowman Craft
- EASY Glue Snowman Crafts for Preschoolers
- YUM! How to Make Snow Ice Cream with just 2 ingredients!
- 100 Winter Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Making historic SNOW CANDY!
- Squirt Gun Snow Painting
- Snow Dough for Kids
- Amazingly EASY Puffy Snow Paint Recipe
- LOTS of Snowflake Crafts A to Z
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Cute Snow globe Craft for Kids
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources!
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers