Young learners will have fun practicing counting to 10 with this FREE printable, hands on winter Counting Practice using cotton ball snowballs.
Kids needs lots of practice counting to gain fluency and to form a firm foundation for future math! They need practice counting maniupulatives, counting on, abstract counting, backwards, and forwards! Counting activities provide a fun way for kids to practice over and over so they are ready for counting to higher numbers and more advanced math.
Looking for more fun counting activitites to try all year long? These are some of our free counting printables:
- Fruit Loops 10 Frame Counting Cards – help kids learn to use a ten frame with colorful cereal
- Free Counting Farm Animal Worksheets – you will appreciate that these preschool math worksheets are NO PREP!
- Construction Counting to 20 – your little work zone enthusiast will love “playing with trucks” as they practice counting with playdough
- Count to 20 Hole Punching Apple Munching – this counting activity is super fun and strengthens hand muscles too!
- Silly Worm Count to 10 with Stickers – kids LOVE playing with stickers! With this free printable kids will have fun practicing counting and playing with stickers
- Sandcastle Count & Trace Playdough Mats – get ready for summer while counting sandcastles and tracing numbers too
- Animal Cookies Count to 10 – kids will love practicing counting while playing with animal cookies!
- Fish Cracker Counting Cards – preschoolers will practice number recognition and counting with this fun math activity
Winter Printables for Kids
This winter math printable is LOW PREP and a fun, hands on counting activity for toddler, preschool, and prek students. This is great for practicing at home, daycare centers, or for teachers as part of a winter math center.
Students will complete one mitten counting card at a time by looking for the number featured on the snowball. Now toddlers and preschoolers will count out that many snowballs and put them in the pair of mittens to help the children get ready for their snowball fight!
There are counting cards with different colored mittens to help kids count to 10.
HINT: If you don’t have fluffy cotton balls handy, a marshmallow works too. As an added bonus, you can let your child eat the marshmallows when they are done practicing math.
After students have had lots of practice counting to 10, work on adding on. Put several cotton balls on the mittens. Now have your child have them count on from the snowballs on the mittens to get to the number needed for the snowball fight.
Finally, for prek and kindergarten age kids, you can introduce sums and addition terminology by putting several snowballs in one hand and showing them how they will need to add more to the other mitten to make the sum on the card. “You have 3 snowballs in the left mitten. How many more snowballs do we need to equal 10 snowball.” When they figure it out repeat the equation back to them, “So 3 snowballs plus 7 more snowballs equal 10 snowballs all together.”
Kids will have so much fun they will hardly realize they are actually learning and practicing math!
Winter Activities for Preschoolers
Looking for even more fun, educational activities for prek and kindergarten age kids to add to a fun winter theme or snowman theme? You will love these preschool activities:
- Snow Volcano Science Project – get out and enjoy the snow with this clever winter science experiment that is simple to replicate, but incredibly memorable and colorful too!
- Easy Icicle Craft – this easy winter craft is great for working on fine motor skills while making a beautiful craft preschoolers will be proud of.
- 36 Wonderful January Crafts for Kids – crafts not only provide a chance to improve fine motor skills anc explore creativity, but are a great way for kids to gain independence too
- Snowman Puffy Paint Recipe – this easy to make puffy paint recipe is sure to be a hit as kids create their own Frosty the Snowman
- 31 Fun January Activities for Kids – so many clever ideas to keep kids active, engaged, and having fun all month long!
- Looking for a no prep educational activity for kids during January. You can’t go wrong with these Free Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers.
- Snow Dough – this amazing, 2 ingredient play recipe is cold like snow and even holds it shape like real snow
- Glue Snowman Craft – this is such a COOL craft! You will use glue as your base to make these beautiful snowmen that will make beautiful window decorations all winter long
- Snowman Coloring Pages – help kids learn new vocabulary while learning words that start with each letter of the alphabet from A to Z
- Counting Snowman Activity for Preschoolers – this fun snowman craft also doubles as a fun count to 10 activity for young learners.
Download Winter Mitten Counting Activity
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to download their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!