Making Ornament Craft for Kids is one of my favorite Christmas crafts. It’s so fun to decorate our tree with handmade ornaments. This There are a ton of ideas for kids to make ornaments, this pretty beaded DIY Icicle Ornament is fun, easy-to-make, and helps with fine motor skills too! All you need to make this preschool christmas craft are a few supplies you probably already have at your home – pony beads and pipe cleaners.
DIY Icicle Ornament
Children need to strengthen their fine motor skills. During December and January children from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students will have fun making these easy Christmas crafts for kids to celebrate the holiday season of Christmas and winter cold. This is important for future tasks such as tying shoes, zipping a zipper, feeding themselves, holding a pencil and writing. Creating this Icicle Ornament helps children strengthen these skills in two ways.
- Pincer Grip – This is when you use your pointer finger and thumb to pick something up, as you do when you pick up a bead. Children will be doing this exercise over and over with this ornament creation.
- Pushing The Bead Onto The Pipe Cleaner – This is fantastic for strengthening various hand muscles. Still using the pincer grip, just in a different way.
Ornament Craft for Kids
- Pipe Cleaner (also called chenille sticks)
- Pony Beads
Easy Christmas crafts for kids
Start by creating a loop at the end of one pipe cleaner. This is what creates the ornament loop.
I used a paint bottle to make the pipe cleaner a curly form. This can be done later, but I did it first. It will start to lose its curl as you add beads, but it can be re-adjusted.
Christmas ornaments for preschoolers to make
Next, have the children decide if they want to do a pattern with the beads or just put them on as they wish. It doesn’t matter either way, but the pattern for older preschoolers could be even more beneficial for them.
Children will then lace the pipe cleaner with the beads until there is about an inch left on the pipe cleaner. Hook the pipe cleaner up and around the last bead to keep the beads from falling off.
DIY Ornaments for Kids
That is it. How cute are these preschool Christmas ornament crafts, right?
This is an inexpensive and easy craft that children of all ages can use. This would be great at home, in the classroom or a church function for kids. Plus, they can help fill up the Christmas tree!
Christmas Science Experiments for Kids
Looking for more fun Christmas science ideas? Check these out!
- Fizzy Ornaments Christmas Science Experiments
- Magic Melting Peppermint Candy Christmas Science Experiment
- Fizzy Gingerbread Man Christmas Science Experiment
- Lots of Christmas Science Experiments Kids will love!
- Beautiful Borax Crystal Christmas Tree Science Experiment
- Melting Christmas Tree Science Experiment for December
- Rudolph Christmas Science Experiments
- Christmas Magic Milk Experiment
- Gumdrops Ornaments Made with Christmas Science Experiment
- Gingerbread Puffy Paint Recipe
- Christmas Fluffy Slime Recipe
- Easy Candy Cane Science Experiment
- Simple Oil and Water Christmas Science Experiment
- Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Snow Volcano Science Experiment
Looking for more fun ways for kids to practice alphabet letters during December? You will love these FREE Christmas alphabet printables:
- Christmas Tree ABC Game
- Letter Tracing Christmas Strips
- Grinch Christmas Alphabet Activity
- Christmas Alphabet Worksheets
- Christmas Colour by Code Activity
- Christmas Printables
- Christmas 2D Shape Puzzles
- ABC Printable Ornaments Trace & Erase
Free Christmas Worksheets
Looking for more fun Christmas themed, FREE printables for preschoolers in December? You will love these choices:
- Christmas Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Easy-to-Make Hat Christmas Craft for Kids
- Fun to make Christmas Playdough Mats
- These Christmas sight Word Games help kids work on reading fluency.
- Kids will have fun practicing patterns with this Free Christmas Patterns Activity
- Help kids work on color recognition with these Stockings Christmas Color Game
- Practice Counting to 20 with these Christmas Tree Playdough Mats