Making Ornament Craft for Kids is one of my favorite Christmas crafts. It’s so fun to decorate our tree with handmade ornaments. This There are a ton of ideas for kids to make ornaments, this pretty beaded DIY Icicle Ornament is fun, easy-to-make, and helps with fine motor skills too! All you need to make this preschool christmas craft are a few supplies you probably already have at your home – pony beads and pipe cleaners.
DIY Icicle Ornaments
Children need to strengthen their fine motor skills. During December and January children from toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students will have fun making these easy Christmas crafts for kids to celebrate the holiday season of Christmas and winter cold. This is important for future tasks such as tying shoes, zipping a zipper, feeding themselves, holding a pencil and writing. Creating this Icicle Ornament helps children strengthen these skills in two ways.
- Pincer Grip – This is when you use your pointer finger and thumb to pick something up, as you do when you pick up a bead. Children will be doing this exercise over and over with this ornament creation.
- Pushing The Bead Onto The Pipe Cleaner – This is fantastic for strengthening various hand muscles. Still using the pincer grip, just in a different way.
Preschool ornament crafts
- Pipe Cleaner (also called chenille sticks)
- Pony Beads
Pipe cleaner christmas crafts
Start by creating a loop at the end of one pipe cleaner. This is what creates the ornament loop.
I used a paint bottle to make the pipe cleaner a curly form. This can be done later, but I did it first. It will start to lose its curl as you add beads, but it can be re-adjusted.
Cipe cleaner christmas ornaments
Next, have the children decide if they want to do a pattern with the beads or just put them on as they wish. It doesn’t matter either way, but the pattern for older preschoolers could be even more beneficial for them.
Children will then lace the pipe cleaner with the beads until there is about an inch left on the pipe cleaner. Hook the pipe cleaner up and around the last bead to keep the beads from falling off.
Winter Craft for Preschoolers
That is it. How cute are these preschool Christmas ornament crafts, right?
This is an inexpensive and easy craft that children of all ages can use. This would be great at home, in the classroom or a church function for kids. Plus, they can help fill up the Christmas tree!
Winter Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Try this epic winter science experiment making a snow volcano
- Maple Syrup on Snow Candy
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- Snowstorm in a jar winter science for preschoolers
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Magic Melting Snowballs – Winter Science Experiment
- DIY Icicle Ornaments for kids
- Paint Swatch Tree Winter Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity
- Erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
Preschool Winter Crafts
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- FUN Snowman Launcher – Winter Activities for Preschoolers
- Construction Paper Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids this Winter
- Bauble Christmas Ornament Craft with FREE Printables
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources! Plus don’t miss these winter books for preschoolers.
- Free Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Snowflake Counting Worksheet and activities
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find snow worksheets
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Mitten letter matching printable
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Alphabet igloo printable puzzles for pre-k and kindergartners
- Polar Bear Winter Literacy activities for preschoolers
- Count to 10 Preschool Snowman Craft
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Cute Shape Puzzles – Snowman Activities for Preschoolers
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Hands-on Snowman button counting
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Winter Activities for Preschoolers
- Snowman winter math activities for preschoolers