Young children will have fun strengthening hand muscles while creating winter images with these super cute, free printable Winter Playdough Mats perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age children. These free winter playdough mats include snowman, ear muffs, winter hats, penguins, snowflakes, hot cocoa, mittens and more to make. Simply print winter printables pdf file to play and learn winter vocabulary with this winter activity for preschool.
Winter Playdough Mats
Looking for a fun, engaging winter activities for preschoolers? You will love these winter playdough mats which allow children to strengthen hand muscles, learn new vocabulary, gain confidence, and have fun as they celebrate winter! These free playdough mats are perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners to create a variety of common winter items.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these low prep winter printables to make learning fun.
Playing with Playdough
Have you ever wondered why preschool centers use playdough so much? Besides being a cheap play material that kids like, it is actually GOOD for preschoolers to play with playdough! Here are some reasons why:
- Playdough help skids build muscles – all the squishing, pounding, rolling, and shappling helps kids develop strong hand and arm muscles they will need for cutting and writing in school
- Playdough gives kids an Emotional outlet – when kids are frustrated, it allows them the chance to focus on other things and take out their frustration on the playdoh instead of their classmate or sibling
- Use Playdough to teach – as kids play with the dough give them new vocabulary for their actions and what they are creating; have children use their own words to describe what they are doing to help them learn to express themselves
- Playdough is great for kids imagination – play doh provides the means for kids to build and create whatever their little minds can create; it is especially fun to create with additional objects like cookie cutters, hot wheels, and other toys.
- Playdough is a multisensory experience – Having kids engage their senses is important for their development. Using sweet smelling koolaid playdough or our edible ice cream playdough adding texture to your dough with a floam recipe or adding in buttons, etc. allows for kids to explore with their senses.
- Playdough can increase children’s attention span – not sure, give kids playdough and time how long they play. Now time them again the next time – for some reason it seems to help kids improve their attention span.
- Playdough is great for social skills – Whether students are introverts, extroverts, social awkward, amazing artists, or not playdough has a way of helping kids play together and feel comfortable enough to talk to one another and engage with other peers.
Winter Activity for Preschool
There are a variety of methods for playing with pladough. You can use your favorite playdough recipe alone or add in:
- cookie cutters and rolling pins
- playdough factories
- other toys like hot wheels, buttons, etc
- plastic animals to make impressions
- free playdough mats (like the ones we have our on sites!)
Playdough mats give children ideas for what to create with playdough, an example, and a chance to follow a template. These winter playdough mats allow students to recreate common winter themes while building muscles and having fun.
Winter Activities for Preschoolers
Preschool Winter Activity
Use your favorite store bought or homemade playdoh recipe and roll it into a long snake. (The rolling motion is great for strengthening hand muscles) Then place the doh on top of the playdough cards to complete the pictures.
This is also great for color recognition, shape discrimination, and more!
Play Doh Cards
After kids have made their winter playdough shapes, have them use dry erase markers (if you laminated the cards) or crayons if not to trace the word for the winter object you just created. This is such a fun way to learn winter vocabulary, strengthen fine motor skills, and have fun with a winter themed activity at the same time.
Looking for more free printable playdough mats for kids? These are just a few of our favorites to try out: (hint: they are all FREE)
- Alphabet Playdough Mats – children will have fun forming letters out of playdough and finishing the picture with these playdough prompts from A to Z
- 4th of July Counting on the Grill Playdough Mats – count the meat on the grill as you play with these clever play doh mats
- Count to 10 Spider Playdough Mats – these playdough mats are super clever and you will LOVE the little spiders
- Shape Playdough Mats – practice forming shapes, tracing shape words, and see examples of shapes in everyday life with these clever shape worksheets
- Fun Number Playdough Mats – help kids form number 1-10 out of playdough and count to 10 as they finish the pictures
- Count to 20 Corn Playdough Mats – these are a fun and simple way to help kids practice counting to 20
- Emotions Playdough Mats – a great conversation starter for kids learning what emotions are
- Tools Playdough Mats – help kids learn vocabulary while have making their own playdough tools
- Ice Cream Task Cards -practice basic math adding scoops with these printable addition task cards
- Instrument Cards Playdough Mats – learn the names of many different musical instruments while making your own playdough versions
Winter Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun winter crafts and winter activities for kids of all ages? Don’t miss these winter activity ideas!
- Kids will love making this super cute circle snowman craft!
- This easy-to-make Puffy Snow Paint is amazing! It has the best texture, dries promptly and completely, and makes the cutest little snowman crafts.
- Tons of fun snowflake crafts for kids of all ages
- Now you have a reason to get excited when it snows! Your whole family will enjoy this super-easy-to-make Snow Ice Cream recipe. YUMMY!
- Find lots more engaging winter themed ideas in these January Activities for Kids
- Silly melting snowman slime
- Come take a peak at how these glue snowman suncatcher craft turns out! Such a fun, simple idea with stunning results!
- Try this epic winter science experiment making a snow volcano
- Maple Syrup on Snow Candy
- Make this beautiful keepsake snowman handprint ornament
- Snowstorm in a jar winter science for preschoolers
- You’ve got to try this easy, DIY Snow globe craft for kids
- Magic Melting Snowballs – Winter Science Experiment
- DIY Icicle Ornaments for kids
- Paint Swatch Tree Winter Craft for Preschoolers
Looking for more fun winter science projects for kids? We’ve got lots of fun ideas for you to try!
- Melting Snowman Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Eruptions – Simple Winter Science Experiments
- Melting Snowman Slime Recipe
- Easy Exploding Snowman – Winter Science Experiment
- Snowman Measuring Snowfall – Winter STEM Activity
- Erupting Snow Winter Science Experiment
- How to Make Frost in a Can Winter Science Experiment
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
Preschool Winter Crafts
- Suncatcher Snowman Craft for Preschoolers
- Winter Snow Slime Recipe Activity for Kids
- FUN Snowman Launcher – Winter Activities for Preschoolers
- Construction Paper Snowman Wreath Craft for Kids this Winter
- Bauble Christmas Ornament Craft with FREE Printables
- Snowman Handmade Greeting Cards Winter Craft for Kids
- Colorful Chromatography Snowflake Craft for Kids
Looking for snowman worksheets and educational snowman activity ideas? You will love these resources! Plus don’t miss these winter books for preschoolers.
- Free Winter Worksheets for Preschoolers
- Build-a-Snowman Winter CVC Words Activity
- Snowman Addition Clip Cards
- Snowman Counting Cards
- Free Snowman Worksheet Pack with LOTS of pages
- Snowflake Counting Worksheet and activities
- Sneak in some fun winter learning with these super cute, Free snow globe letter find snow worksheets
- Winter Counting Worksheets
- Free Winter Writing Prompts PDF
- Mitten letter matching printable
- Multiplication Snowman Activity
- Snowman Printables Winter letter Find
- Snowman Tracing Letters A to Z
- Snowflake Winter Compound Words
- Build a Snowman Sequencing Worksheets
- Snowman Printables Counting Book
- Free printable shape puzzles for winter
- Alphabet igloo printable puzzles for pre-k and kindergartners
- Polar Bear Winter Literacy activities for preschoolers
- Count to 10 Preschool Snowman Craft
- Snowman Word Family Spinners
- Snowman Math Craft for practicing addition and subtraction
- Winter Telling Time Worksheets
- Snowflake Dab the Letter
- Cute Shape Puzzles – Snowman Activities for Preschoolers
- Free Snowman Coloring Pages
- Hands-on Snowman button counting
- Build a Snowman with these Beginning Sounds Winter Activities for Preschoolers
- Snowman winter math activities for preschoolers
Winter Activities for Preschoolers
- Cute winter playdough mats for kids
- Snowball counting activity for preschool winter themes
- Free snap cube pattern cards for winter
- Alphabet Winter Worksheets for Preschool
- Snowglobe Counting – winter math activities for preschoolers
- Snow Theme Preschool
Winter Play Doh Cards
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to grab their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!