This hands-on math activity allows kids to practice counting to 20 with these free printable playdough mats. This Corn Counting Activity is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre k and kindergarten age children during summer and fall. This is also a great introduction to number words, including those tricky teen numbers.
Corn Counting Activity
Nothing says summer like biting into a fresh, juicy ear of corn! Depending where in the country you live, you may get farm fresh corn on the cob from mid summer through September. This fun, hands on counting activity for preschoolers, toddlers, and kindergartners is a great way to use a common summer theme (or farm theme activity) to work on counting 1-20. Grab the free playdough mats and a tube of yellow playdough – you are ready for a fun, hands-on Corn Counting Activity.
I suggest you laminate for durability. Now cut each page into 4 cards. There is a card for numbers 1-10 and tricky teen numbers 11-20. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this low prep math activity is great for summer learning, extra practice, educational activity, or math center in your classroom.
Cut the counting mats apart and you are ready to being this math activity for preschoolers! You will have 20 cards in all to practice counting, tracing the numbers, and learning the numbers words from 1-20.
Preschoolers and kindergartners will look at the number and number word on each card. Then they will form yellow corn kernels with playdough equal to the number represented on the card. Finally they will count the kernels they are adding as they place them on the corn on the cob.
Count to 20
These corn playdough mats for kids to practice counting with a fun, hands on math activity for preschoolers! Another option is to use playdough to make a “pancake” yellow corn (and green husk around it if you like. Then students can press their pencil top in the playdough to make the correct number of kernels in the corn as represented on their card as they practice counting 1-20.
Finally, prek students can make a rope out of their playdough and form the number represented on each card. This is great for improving coordination and strengthening their hands as well as practicing making numbers.
Free Playdough Mats
Looking for more playdough mats? We’ve go you covered with so many clever FREE playdough printables:
- Fall Playdough Mats
- Playdough tools template for preschool
- Animals A-Z uppercase letter tracing
- Playdough construction math activities for preschoolers
- ice cream shapes printable
- Watermelon Seed Counting Playdough Printable
- Pet Animal Playdough Mats
- Preschool Musical Instruments Playdough Cards
- Monster Shape Playdough Mats
- Pumpkin Traceable Letters Playdough Mat
Free Fall Printables
- Fall Do a Dot Worksheets
- Free Pumpkin Activity Printables – Letter Find
- Fall Sequencing Activities
- Free Fall Sticker Worksheets
- Fall Craft Preschool – super cute printable fall hat crafts!
- Leaf Alphabet Puzzles for Fall
- Free Fall Number Count and Trace Worksheets
- Fall Nature Scavenger Hunt Printables
- Cereal Fall Tree Craft
- Fall Worksheets for Kids
Count to 20
- Spring Counting Games for Kindergarten 1-20
- Bug Counting Games for Kindergarten 1-20
- Place Value Cards Printable Activity Counting to 20
- Monster Counting Mat 1-20
- Apple Seed Counting to Twenty
- Cute Penguin Counting Worksheet
- Gumball Counting Activity
- Hands-on Dominio Counting Game
- Strawberry Counting Activity
- Fruit Count to 20 Clip Cards
- Petshop Counting to 20 Worksheets
- Spring Counting Playdough Mats
- Dump Truck Counting Mat 1-20
- Counting Activities with Gears
- Cute Playdough Corn Counting Activity
- FREE Pearl Counting to 20 Worksheets Activity
Download Corn Counting Mats
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to download their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!