Introduce children to a famous artist for kids with this fun, simple van gogh sunflowers craft. This famous artists project recreates the iconic sunflowers in a new, differetn, and easy flower craft for preschoolers!
Van Gogh Sunflowers
It is never too early to help kids develop an appreciation for art. Introducing famous artists for kids early helps kids no develop a prejudice about the way art should look like, but rather enjoy the unique style the artist composed. Plus their are so many styles, children will feel good about their unique creations without feeling bad they don’t look good enough. This van gogh sunflowers art project is one of my favorite. I love the cheery sunflowers in various shades of bright yellow and orange! This time we are going to re-create this masterpiece with simple construction paper, scissors, and glue for a stunning introduction to VIncent Van Gogh and his Sunflowers!
Van Gogh Sunflowers Art Project
All you need to make this famous artist project are a few simple materials you probabaly already have on hand:
- construction paper – brown, blue, yellow, orange
Van Gogh Art Project
Start by folding yellow or orange paper in half and cutting it into strips. The size of the paper doesn’t really matter, just know each folded strip is a petal in your sunflower project.
Cut circles or half circles out of brown or black construction paper to be the center of the flower.
Sunflowers Craft for Preschoolers
Now glue the folded, cut yellow or orange strips onto the flower center so they form a ray out.
Flower Craft for Preschoolers
Continue gluing the folded strips until you’ve covered the entire semi circle and they are all securely attached.
Turn over to reveal the pretty sunflower you’ve created. the folded strips give the flowers a little dimmension so it odesn’t look so flat. Making some of the flowers with only half makes it look like you are looking at them from different perspectives and angles.
Famous Artists for Kids
Now repeat with another flower in a slightly different color of yellow or orange.
This time we used a circle in the middle and glued the petals around the entire center of the sunflower.
Here is the pretty sunflower head with orange.
Famous Artist Projects
Repeat various times to make differetn looking sunflowers in various shades of yellow, orange, or red.
Now cut out a vase shape from a piece of construction paper. With this you can make it look just like Van Gogh’s artwork or make your own changes. Then arrange the sunflowers you want to use and your vase on a blue (or othe rcolor) piece of constrution paper and add stems and leaves with markers or colored pencil.
Here is your finished work of art! I think it is a great way to recreate a version of a famous piece of art that kids will have fun making. Plus it is simple and cheery.
Art history for kids
Ready to learn about more famous artists with children? Check out these projects:
- Monet for kids project exploring impressionist artwork making a lovely water lily with tissue paper
- Or whip up this paint for a unique Claude Monet for Kids activity
- Seurat Melted Crayon Art Project – Pointillism for Kids
- Another fun way to explore Pointillism art for kids is with this simple q-tip and paint project
- Discover the paper cut technique with this Matisse for Kids project
- Make your own Van Gogh for Kids stary night project with playdough with this fun project
- 25 Fun Art Projects Based on Famous Artists
- Picasso for Kids art that explores his unique modern art style creating a one-of-a-kind portrait
- Or try this felt project to learn about Pablo Picasso for kids
- Jackson pollock for kids explores the fun, zany modern drip art technique in an outrageously fun art project for kids
- Easy Pointillism Project creating 4 Seasons Handart Project
- Learn about Medieval Art with this Giotto for Kids project
- This stunning project allows kids to explore famous artist Matisse for Kids
- Try your hand at Impressionism for Kids with this lovely bleeding tissue paper idea
- Explore the colorful boxes in this Paul Klee for Kids art project
- Make a lovely fall art project as you explore Kadinsky for Kids
- Explore Aztec Art for kids with this fun clay project
- Plus don’t miss our FREE Printable artist report to help kids remember what they’ve learned and keep a keepsake of all the fun projects you’ve made together!
- Simple and FUN Mondrian Art Project
- Van Gogh Sunflowers Craft for Preschoolers
- See all of our famous artists for kids art projects!
Crafts for Preschoolers
- Straw Painting Whale Craft
- Camping Name Craft for Preschoolers
- Cheery Suncatcher Sun Craft for Preschoolers
- Printable Alphabet Crafts
- Exploding Paint Craft
- Simply Hyacinth Flower Craft
- Printable Caterpillar Craft for Preschoolers
- Super Cute Printable Paper Fish Craft for Preschoolers
- Printable Giraffe Craft for Preschoolers
- Paint Swatch Tree Craft for Preschoolers
- Simple Sunflowers Craft for Preschoolers
Crafts for Kids
To help you get started, here are some of our favorite kids crafts.
- Cute Printable Flower Name Craft
- Paper Plate Parrot Craft
- Adorable Donut Father’s Day Craft
- Counting Pumpkin Pie Craft
- Fidgetspinner Firework Craft Ideas
- Pretty Tulip Flower Crafts
- Simple Balloon Painting Art Project
- Bubble Wrap and Pufy Paint Ice Cream Craft
- Pasta Butterfly Craft
- Space Name Craft for Preschoolers
- Paper Plate Rainbow Craft for Preschoolers