This Montessori Inspired Animal Cookie Activity is such a fun way for kids to be introduced to some amazing animals while having some fun with animal crackers and visual discrimination.
There are so many fascinating animals in our world! Children are naturally fascinated by all the zoo animals that come in different shapes, sizes, and patterns.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, homeschooler, daycare, or preschool center – you will love the free printable activity that will help students work on visual discriminiation as they match animal cookies to pictures of animals in the wild. This is such a fun addition to an animal theme, zoo theme, center, summer learning, or enrichment activity to go along with any other subject.
This montessori inspired activities uses animal cookies with a hands-on matching game for toddler, pre k, preschool, kindergarten, and grade 1 students. This animal activity for kids is sure to be a hit in your house, classroom, VBS, day camp, or club.
Although the pages are in full color, you will only be printing 2 pages. Each sheet has several printable animal cards . Next, cut apart the flashcards on the solid lines.
NOTE: If you prefer – you can use animal flashcards ou may already have on hand and save on printing costs altogether.
Animal Activities for Toddlers
Not only are these animal cards great for this animal cookie matching activity, but they have many other uses in Montessori activities.
Give preschoolers a box or handful of barnum’s animal crackers or nabisco animal crackers. Students will then pick up one animal cookie at a time and try to determine what the animal is. This is a great activity for visual discrimination.
HINT: We’ve included all the animals we’ve seen in animal cracker box or costco animal cookies, pull out the animals you may not have in your particular brand of animal snacks.
Animal Activities for Kids
Kids will continue Cookie Matching matching all the animal cookies to the correct pictures of the real animal. The animals included in this preschool printable are:
- polar bear
- mountain lion
Animal Activities for Preschoolers
This is such a fun, hands on activity for toddlers, preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, first graders, and 2nd graders to be introduced to some amazing animals while having some silly snack fun! I suggest when preschool cookie activities with your child you work on introducting them to a lot of rich vocabulary. For example, you could say:
It looks hot where the camel is standing. Did you know he lives in the desert? They get very little rain in the desert so the camel has special adaptations to help him survive in the extremely hot days and cold windy nights. He has a hump that stores fat. The camel uses the fat as nourishment when food is scarce. If a camel uses the fat inside the hump, the hump will become limp and droop down. With proper food and rest the hump will return to normal. You see how hairy the camel looks? When my hair is on my neck in the hot sun it makes me feel hot, but the camel’s hair not only helps to insulate him from extreme cold conditions, but also works to keep the camel cool in the heat of the day.
You can also help them begin thinking like scientists. Have them make observations and ask questions based on the picture. If you don’t know the answer – look it up! National Geographic has a great section about animals with gorgeous colored pictures, information, and fun-to-watch videos:
- Do you think the seal’s body is smooth or furry?
- Does he have any hair on his body?
- Do you think he gets cold in the ocean?
- Does the seal drink the salty ocean water?
- How did the seal get out of the water and move to the beach without legs to walk on?
FREE Preschool Printables
Looking for more fun preschool activites to make learning fun? You will love these resources!
- Fruit Loop Alphabet Snack Mats
- Cute Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Counting with Goldfish Activity
- Preschool Handwriting Worksheets
- Printable Letter Crafts for Preschoolers
- Color for Kids Worksheets
- Counting Animal Cookies
- Letter Recognition Worksheets
Montessori Animal Cards
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to download their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!