Kids will go nuts over this animal matching activity that uses beautiful realistic free printable animal cards with yummy Animal Cookies for a fun matching game for kids. This animal activity is perfect for toddler, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age children. Not only does this science activity help kids become familiar with animals for kids, but it is great for working on visual discrimination and problem solving skills too. Simply download pdf file and grab a box of animal crackers and you are ready for a really fun Preschool Animal Activities.
There are so many fascinating animals in our world! Children are naturally fascinated by all the zoo animals that come in different shapes, sizes, and patterns. This montessori inspired activities uses animal crackers with animals for kids printable flashcards for a hands-on animal matching game. This animal activites for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, and grade 1 students requires virtually no prep and can be used over and over again. This animal activity for kids is sure to be a hit in your house, classroom, VBS, day camp, or club.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, homeschooler, daycare, or preschool center – you will love the free printable activity that will help students work on visual discriminiation as they match animal cookies to pictures of animals in the wild. This is such a fun addition to an animal theme, zoo theme, center, summer learning, or enrichment activity to go along with any other subject.
Animal Matching Games
Preschool Animal Activities
Although the pages are in full color, you will only be printing 2 pages. Each sheet has several printable animal cards . Next, cut apart the flashcards on the solid lines.
NOTE: If you prefer – you can use animal flashcards ou may already have on hand and save on printing costs altogether.
Animal Activities for Toddlers
Not only are these animal cards great for this animal cookie matching activity, but they have many other uses in Montessori activities.
Give preschoolers a box or handful of barnum’s animal crackers or nabisco animal crackers. Students will then pick up one animal cookie at a time and try to determine what the animal is. This is a great activity for visual discrimination.
HINT: We’ve included all the animals we’ve seen in animal cracker box or costco animal cookies, pull out the animals you may not have in your particular brand of animal snacks.
Animal Activities for Kids
Kids will continue Cookie Matching matching all the animal cookies to the correct pictures of the real animal. The animals included in this preschool printable are:
- polar bear
- mountain lion
Animal Activities for Preschoolers
This is such a fun, hands on activity for toddlers, preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, first graders, and 2nd graders to be introduced to some amazing animals while having some silly snack fun! I suggest when preschool cookie activities with your child you work on introducting them to a lot of rich vocabulary. For example, you could say:
It looks hot where the camel is standing. Did you know he lives in the desert? They get very little rain in the desert so the camel has special adaptations to help him survive in the extremely hot days and cold windy nights. He has a hump that stores fat. The camel uses the fat as nourishment when food is scarce. If a camel uses the fat inside the hump, the hump will become limp and droop down. With proper food and rest the hump will return to normal. You see how hairy the camel looks? When my hair is on my neck in the hot sun it makes me feel hot, but the camel’s hair not only helps to insulate him from extreme cold conditions, but also works to keep the camel cool in the heat of the day.
You can also help them begin thinking like scientists. Have them make observations and ask questions based on the picture. If you don’t know the answer – look it up! National Geographic has a great section about animals with gorgeous colored pictures, information, and fun-to-watch videos:
- Do you think the seal’s body is smooth or furry?
- Does he have any hair on his body?
- Do you think he gets cold in the ocean?
- Does the seal drink the salty ocean water?
- How did the seal get out of the water and move to the beach without legs to walk on?
Looking for more snack printables for kids of all ages. You will love these free snack mats and food activities for preschoolers:
- Have fun working on color recognition with these Rainbow Snack Mats that use fruit loops, cereal, skittles, or M & Ms.
- Teach studnets about using a ten frame with these counting cards.
- Sort the cereal by colors with these Color Sorting Cards.
- Fruit Loop Alphabet Snack Mats
- Counting with Goldfish Activity
- Counting Animal Cookies
- Cute Alphabet Coloring Pages helps build vocabulary and work on beginning sounds and phonemic awareness
- Printable Alphabet Letter for Crafts – we have a printable letter craft for every letter of the alphabet A to Z
- Letter Recognition Worksheets – find and dab the upper and lowercase letters in these super cute ABC printables!
- Simple free alphabet worksheets to color and trace letters
- How cute are these letter find pumpkin worksheets for preschool
- Practice uppercase letter tracing with these super cute animal alphabet cards A-Z
- See all of our FREE ABC Printables here!
- Work on preschool colors with these free color worksheets
- Learn the days of the week for kids with these super cute, free days of the week printables
- Preschool Math is fun with one of our hands-on activities and free printables!
- Learn your shapes with these fun Preschool Shapes Worksheets
- Make one of our adorable printable hat crafts like this popular turkey hat printable
- Apple Worksheets Preschool help kids practice a variety of math and literacy skills with this September theme
- Practice a variety of skills with these super cute, FREE Construction Worksheets
- Work on shape recognition with these Road Shapes mats
- These Free Printable Animal Masks Templates are so much fun! Which animal will you choose?
- Learn by topic with one of our fun, free preschool themes!
- See all of our preschool worksheets here including math, alphabet, printable crafts, playdough mats, and more!
- Celebrate the letter of the week with these adorable, Free Alphabet Hats
- We have lots of themed worksheets like these super cute Frozen preschool worksheets
- Pirate Color by Number Preschool is a fun way to work on letter recognition while strengthening hand muscles
- Color, Read and Learn your letters with this printable alphabet book pdf for each letter A to Z
- Make science FUN for kids of all ages with over 100 Food Experiments to try
- Tons of Bingo Dauber Printables to use with bingo marker, do a dot markers, or circle stickers
- Shaped Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Free Playdough Mats to work on shapes, numbers, colors, alphabet letters, and more!
- Learn about other countries around the world with our free country coloring pages
- Super cute Transportation Playdough Mats are great for building hand muscles while having fun! Plus don’t miss all our free printable playdough mats for preschoolers
- Plus check out our huge list of recommended Books for Preschoolers by topic
Montessori Animal Cards
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to download their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!