Kids will have learning their ABCs with this fun, engaging, and FREE Back to School Alphabet Racing Game for preschool and kindergarten age kids.
Alphabet Race Game
It’s back to school. That means it’s time to get back into the groove. Having routines, homework, learning time and more. That doesn’t mean that it has to be all work and no play. Learning CAN be loads of fun! Plus, when kids are having more fun, they typically will absorb more of the information! So this Alphabet Race Game is the perfect way to encourage learning through play!
This is the perfect game for back to school season. It features a school bus, stack of books and of course an apple. Each letter of the alphabet is featured with uppercase, but it is super simple to incorporate lowercase as well for those children that are ready for that challenge. This game focuses on many literary and math skills:
- Number Identification
- Letter Identification
- Letter Formation
- …and more!
Learning Through Play
Learning through play is not a concept to take lightly. Kids really do learn and absorb more when they are having fun. There is nothing wrong with presenting a game to kids that they solely think they are playing, when we know they are actually learning. It’s not pulling the rug on our kids, it’s not tricking them, it’s encouraging them in a way that YOU know will work best!
- Back To School Alphabet Race Game Printables: Game Board and Recording Sheet
- 1 Dice or more
- 1 Manipulative For Each Player
- Laminator & Dry Erase Markers (optional)
This is super simple. There are two pages of the printable set. The first is the game board while the second is a recording sheet. Every player needs their own recording sheet but only one game board is needed for each group playing. This game can be played with as little as one child, but it can be great for small groups or even a whole classroom as well.
To start, each player needs a pawn. We used large beads, but literally anything can be used. Beads, pom poms, mini erasers or even pawns from a different game. We always play games, with multiple people, saying youngest to oldest as the play order. The first player rolls the die and moves their pawn that number of spaces. Whichever letter is landed on is the letter for the moment.
Either all children can write on the recording sheet or you can ask just the child that landed on that letter write it down. You can also ask the child to write the uppercase and lowercase or just one. That is how versatile this game can be and goes to show how it CAN work for YOU!
There is not necessarily a winner to this game, but it can be over once everyone reaches the books. Or you can keep going.
HINT: I like to laminate activities such as this. If you do, you can use dry erase markers on the recording sheet and even in place of pawns too.
Letter Matching Activities
- Gumball Alphabet Matching Game
- Summer Matching Letter Game, Ice Cream Alphabet Printable Matching Puzzles, Seashell Alphabet Summer Kindergarten Activity, Swimming Goggles Alphabet Puzzles Summer Kindergarten Activity, Sandcastle Letter Matching Summer Kindergarten Activity, Flip Flop Summer Kindergarten Activity, Grass Alphabet Puzzles – Letter Matching Activity
- Spring – Letter Matching Spring Activity for Preschoolers, Flower Letter Recognition Games Printable, Hop It Alphabet Matching Game Printable, Spring Shower Alphabet Matching Game, Bunny Letter Matching Puzzles
- Clip It Alphabet Matching Game
- Paper Plate Letter Recognition Activity
- Alphabet Go Fish Printable Game
- Free Printable Alphabet Letters upper and lower case puzzles
- Lion King Inspired Letter Matching Game
- Alphabet Soup Letter Recognition Activity
- Fall – Apple Free Alphabet Strip pdf, Leaf Alphabet Matching Game, School Bus Letter Matching, Nuts About the Alphabet – Letter Matching Game
- Hamburger Alphabet Puzzles – Free alphabet printables
- Winer – Polar Bear Printable Alpahbet Matching Game
- Tools Matching Upper and Lowercase Letters
Letter Matching Worksheets
- Super cute Letter Recognition Worksheets from A to Z
- Free ABC Letter Find Printable
- Gumball I Spy Alphabet Worksheets
- Printable Letter Identification Cards
- Sports Themed Find the Letter Worksheets
- Robot Letter Recognition Printables
- Letter FInd Pumpkin Printables
- Apple Find the Letter Tracing Worksheets
- Bug Letter Find Worksheets
- Cinderella Color by Letter Disney Princess Worksheets
- Snow Globe Letter Find Winter Worksheets
- Christmas Worksheets Tree Letter Find
- Spring Find the Letter Worksheets
- Dinosaur Alphabet Printables – Find the Letter
- Fish Letter Recognition Worksheets
- Endangered Animals Find the Letter Worksheets
- Free Letter Recognition Worksheets to use with bingo daubers
- Letter Recognition Worksheets for Fall sticker activity
- Star Wars Letter Recognition Worksheets
- Bingo Dauber Letter Find Worksheets
Back to School Printables
- FREE First day of Preschool sign, cute First day of School printable, First Day of School Notes, or All About Me Worksheet Preschool
- Grab these Back to School Coloring Pages, yellow slime, and try these first day of school science experiments
- Back to School BINGO or this School themed I Spy Workshetes pdf FREE
- Cute First day for preschool craft (free printable hat templates) or lots of back to school crafts
- School bus Alphabet Matching, alphabet race game, Pencil matching abc games,
- Tracing lines worksheets for 3 year olds pdf download and Color by Code Back to School Worksheets
- School Supplies Tracing worksheets, Crayon free printable name recognition activities, printable measurement activities for preschoolers, or our Back to School Activities for Preschoolers
- Pencil Number Matching Printable, no-prep Back to School Color by Number pages, count and clip back to school math activities for preschoolers, fun counting puzzles for preschoolers, counting mats bus activities for preschoolers, and preschool numbers worksheets 1-10
Back to School Game
By using resources from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal and personal classroom use (to share this resource, please direct others to this post to grab their own free copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!